Official 12Th Annual Texasmac Event Thread 2015

By the way I see we only have four novice riders signed up this year and a bunch of new people in the advance groups. Please check your egos and go to the appropriate group until you figure out what your pace is compared to the others. Our intermediate guys are pretty darn quick.

If my fiance can make it she'll be in the novice group... it may be a last minute sign up as her work schedule is pretty busy. So I may end up riding with her in novice at least the first day until she makes friends :goofy:

You know this group. She'll need a stick to keep the friends at arms length

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

On March 15 this year my 4 bikes all had new rubber front and rear. I have replaced 4 of those tires already and one more was toasted yesterday. I checked my 1,200 mile-old rear on the ST yesterday morning and figured I could nurse it for another 1,200 miles or so but 250 miles later there is zilch tread on the right side and just a tiny rmainder on the left.

And someone asked me this weekend why I did the darkside test on the ST. Seriously?

So if you are inclined to group up with the intermediates be sure you have new or nearly new rubber, otherwise plan on pacing yourself accordingly. I plan to adjust my riding by doing slower paced rides this year with only occasional bursts for giggles. I was doing this last year with great success and I need to go back to it.

KEB

Who is this guy and why does he keep posting about tires? He sounds like one of those guys who "takes it easy."

I plan to adjust my riding by doing slower paced rides this year with only occasional bursts for giggles. I was doing this last year with great success and I need to go back to it.

KEB

And I still couldn't keep up ! :wacko:

Yet somehow your bike is always in view. The Girl and I found some fabulous roads that are near the natural disaster we visited last year so I will test the waters for peeps looking to do a 300 mile day.

You bringing both bikes?

You think we might get to see the tornado in action this year? The aftermath wasn't exciting enough. I prefer to have to dodge farm animals and entire trees during a hail storm, so I hope we can ramp up the degree of difficulty. I ran up to the Snake today and came back in a few lightning storms just for practice. I attempted to ride around it to no avail so just went nose first into Mouth of Wilson, NC. I will leave the rest to your imagination.

• Member Contributer

On March 15 this year my 4 bikes all had new rubber front and rear. I have replaced 4 of those tires already and one more was toasted yesterday. I checked my 1,200 mile-old rear on the ST yesterday morning and figured I could nurse it for another 1,200 miles or so but 250 miles later there is zilch tread on the right side and just a tiny rmainder on the left.

And someone asked me this weekend why I did the darkside test on the ST. Seriously?

So if you are inclined to group up with the intermediates be sure you have new or nearly new rubber, otherwise plan on pacing yourself accordingly. I plan to adjust my riding by doing slower paced rides this year with only occasional bursts for giggles. I was doing this last year with great success and I need to go back to it.

KEB

Who is this guy and why does he keep posting about tires? He sounds like one of those guys who "takes it easy."

I plan to adjust my riding by doing slower paced rides this year with only occasional bursts for giggles. I was doing this last year with great success and I need to go back to it.

KEB

Yet somehow your bike is always in view. The Girl and I found some fabulous roads that are near the natural disaster we visited last year so I will test the waters for peeps looking to do a 300 mile day.

You bringing both bikes?

You think we might get to see the tornado in action this year? The aftermath wasn't exciting enough. I prefer to have to dodge farm animals and entire trees during a hail storm, so I hope we can ramp up the degree of difficulty. I ran up to the Snake today and came back in a few lightning storms just for practice. I attempted to ride around it to no avail so just went nose first into Mouth of Wilson, NC. I will leave the rest to your imagination.

That was one rough ride last year and I have endured enough mountain thunderstorms to know what you are talking about. Donna and I ran 28 and the Dragon home 2 weeks ago from Franklin in a rough thunderstorm, in the middle of the night.

• Member Contributer

KEB

You bringing both bikes?

If your standards are low I might be down for that ride.

How do you think I got in Keith!!! :goofy:

I might ride one and tow the other! :wink:

Low standards my a$$. I would love to show you guys that area and I'm sure Steve may know some cool roads in the area as well. Steve, you ever ridden 19W? Crazy fun road that is close to midway between our homes though it is closer to me slightly. Cuts through TN and ends in Burnsville. I am thinking for TMAC it would be a blast but to do it right would require almost a 400 mile day. An early start and early lunch in Hot Springs and we could be bench racing in Franklin by 6 PM. OR we could just have a blast going to Pisgah and playing on my favorite road (top secret) in NC after lunch.

• Member Contributer

Low standards my a$$. I would love to show you guys that area and I'm sure Steve may know some cool roads in the area as well. Steve, you ever ridden 19W? Crazy fun road that is close to midway between our homes though it is closer to me slightly. Cuts through TN and ends in Burnsville. I am thinking for TMAC it would be a blast but to do it right would require almost a 400 mile day. An early start and early lunch in Hot Springs and we could be bench racing in Franklin by 6 PM. OR we could just have a blast going to Pisgah and playing on my favorite road (top secret) in NC after lunch.

I'm just along for the ride.

KEB

You bringing both bikes?

If your standards are low I might be down for that ride.

How do you think I got in Keith!!! :goofy:

I might ride one and tow the other! :wink:

Sorry to jump in, but that does sound like a great deal of fun! I'd be down for a ride like that!

Me too, I could run sweep on the ST caring the Beer!

• Member Contributer

Nothing wrong with that plan. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I hate ridding to Tmac and then ridding with you guys east. Those are my regular roads, and to close to home, I’m always worried my wife may be on “find my iphone” and im like 10 min away, it would be hard to explain. Im staying franklin and west this year.

• Member Contributer

By the way I see we only have four novice riders signed up this year and a bunch of new people in the advance groups. Please check your egos and go to the appropriate group until you figure out what your pace is compared to the others. Our intermediate guys are pretty darn quick.

This is my 1st Trip up there, I registered as an intermediate but I can go novice to fill out a group if needed. I just want to ride and enjoy the experience.

• Member Contributer

This is my 1st Trip up there, I registered as an intermediate but I can go novice to fill out a group if needed. I just want to ride and enjoy the experience.

Before you select a group to ride in, give a list of your favorite on ramps in FL so we get a sense of your style for the curves. :goofy:

Just kidding, but everyone should check their twisty road and track day experience before selecting a group. The roads in Western NC and Eastern TN will tire you out much more quickly and a fatigued rider is prone to making mistakes that can ruin everyone's ride.

A friend of my son wrecked his bike a couple of years ago ending everyone in the groups ride, he had to two up back to the hotel and get a recovery vehicle then haul butt to the accident site and load up the bent Viffer to return to hotel after much bench racing and revelry were missed. I asked him how he felt when we finally got back to the Microtel because he took a pretty good knock.

He replied that he was "okay other than my ego." I quickly asked why he didn't leave his ego at the hotel that morning.

Bottom line, we want a safe and fun experience and there is no trophy awarded for fastest time down Highway 28 (unless you count the awards issued by local LEO's).

• Member Contributer

The ride sounded great... but now I'm definitely interested!

As of last night, I am not the proud owner of my first VFR, so that will be going to TMAC this year! The CB500F still may be there this year though care of PirateRiderBen. I look forward to seeing you all there!

• Member Contributer

Before you select a group to ride in, give a list of your favorite on ramps in FL so we get a sense of your style for the curves. :goofy:

Just kidding, but everyone should check their twisty road and track day experience before selecting a group. The roads in Western NC and Eastern TN will tire you out much more quickly and a fatigued rider is prone to making mistakes that can ruin everyone's ride.

A friend of my son wrecked his bike a couple of years ago ending everyone in the groups ride, he had to two up back to the hotel and get a recovery vehicle then haul butt to the accident site and load up the bent Viffer to return to hotel after much bench racing and revelry were missed. I asked him how he felt when we finally got back to the Microtel because he took a pretty good knock.

He replied that he was "okay other than my ego." I quickly asked why he didn't leave his ego at the hotel that morning.

Bottom line, we want a safe and fun experience and there is no trophy awarded for fastest time down Highway 28 (unless you count the awards issued by local LEO's).

I moved here from Florida but I register as an intemediate anyway. Used to take the trip up to the mountains and it always took a couple of miles to get in the groove but I used to do 350 mile days with ease. If you can ride all day in the Florida heat the mountains are not too bad, but you really need to just ride your pace and forget what everyone else is doing. If you start using lots of throttle to keep up then you need to just back it down and stay calm. The great thing about riding in the area is navigation is a breeze so getting lost is nearly impossible and a good ride sweep will always keep you pointed in the right direction.

I led 6 different rides a few weeks ago with some of them my Florida friends and speed was never a factor in how much fun we had. We kept large groups together at all times which is no mean feat and everyone of all skill levels had a great time. Zero stress rides are the best. Except maybe a midweek early AM blast to clear the cobwebs but most peeps don't bother with those flights of foolishness.

KEB

• Member Contributer

The roads there are beautiful, entertaining and require full attention at any speeds. I eventually found the fun in seeing how smoothly I could navigate them at a consistent speed. Less braking and less throttle leaving the corners. If you can get flow and rhythm at any speeds out there it is a blast.

• Member Contributer

The roads there are beautiful, entertaining and require full attention at any speeds. I eventually found the fun in seeing how smoothly I could navigate them at a consistent speed. Less braking and less throttle leaving the corners. If you can get flow and rhythm at any speeds out there it is a blast.

+1. I ride mtn roads daily, but every time I go to the dragon I’m reminded of how great and different that road is. Enter the corners slowly, and you can always accelerate smoothly out. A smooth, flowing, rhythm run on the dragon is why I’ve ridden sport bikes for 32 years and can’t stop.

• Member Contributer

I moved here from Florida but I register as an intemediate anyway. Used to take the trip up to the mountains and it always took a couple of miles to get in the groove but I used to do 350 mile days with ease. If you can ride all day in the Florida heat the mountains are not too bad, but you really need to just ride your pace and forget what everyone else is doing. If you start using lots of throttle to keep up then you need to just back it down and stay calm. The great thing about riding in the area is navigation is a breeze so getting lost is nearly impossible and a good ride sweep will always keep you pointed in the right direction.

I led 6 different rides a few weeks ago with some of them my Florida friends and speed was never a factor in how much fun we had. We kept large groups together at all times which is no mean feat and everyone of all skill levels had a great time. Zero stress rides are the best. Except maybe a midweek early AM blast to clear the cobwebs but most peeps don't bother with those flights of foolishness.

KEB

Here I am at a track day to keep up with you, and now you are taking it easy! One of the on track coaches told me I could get more speed out of the straight away, and I informed him that would be great as long as someone isn`t doing 80mph zig zagging across the track over a blind curve when I am doing 150. Plus, Kimball doesn`t do that anymore, so no need. Was the CB500F secret weapon utilized? I am surprised your knees can manage.

Also of note, I had a fantastic ride with a 70 year old guy riding a CB300F. It helps that he was light weight to go along with the bike, but man does that thing corner. Anything under 50mph (which is most of the Snake), he was on rails. Might need to trade in the Beemer.

• Member Contributer

Great clover leaf at 295 and JTB also exit ramp from 295 north onto Merrill road decreasing radius sweeper that's it > You get it mostly straight roads with pine trees to look at. No ego here I'm a late 50's old guy and need a full functioning body to earn a pay check.So smooth and slow for me, live to ride another day. Looking forward to seeing you guys in 2 weeks!! Save some cold beer for me I'll be there late!

• Member Contributer

Great clover leaf at 295 and JTB also exit ramp from 295 north onto Merrill road decreasing radius sweeper that's it > You get it mostly straight roads with pine trees to look at. No ego here I'm a late 50's old guy and need a full functioning body to earn a pay check.So smooth and slow for me, live to ride another day. Looking forward to seeing you guys in 2 weeks!! Save some cold beer for me I'll be there late!

You will fit right in and you will have a fantastic time. When you get there look for BaileyRock, the beer will be close by.

• Member Contributer

KEB

Here I am at a track day to keep up with you, and now you are taking it easy! One of the on track coaches told me I could get more speed out of the straight away, and I informed him that would be great as long as someone isn`t doing 80mph zig zagging across the track over a blind curve when I am doing 150. Plus, Kimball doesn`t do that anymore, so no need. Was the CB500F secret weapon utilized? I am surprised your knees can manage.

Also of note, I had a fantastic ride with a 70 year old guy riding a CB300F. It helps that he was light weight to go along with the bike, but man does that thing corner. Anything under 50mph (which is most of the Snake), he was on rails. Might need to trade in the Beemer.

The CB has a great seating position, it will touch triple digits, is as smooth as most 4 cylinder bikes and yes I used it for the ride leads with 500 mile days to boot, the 200+ mile tank range in sport mode is a major bonus. It also makes a great 2-up bike believe it or not. The only down side to riding the CB is how demoralized some of the guys got that rode high dollar/horsepower sport bikes and could not pace it or when I let them go ahead and then ran them down. Being limited on top speed is the smartest thing I have done since moving here and the bike's unbelievable torque for such a small engine makes you completely forget its size.

The CB is a notch or two quicker than the NC (not exactly most peoples yardstick I know). You can do research and read tests but until you upgrade the suspension and put real tires on one of those little 500s you have no idea how fun and quick it can be. That's all I will say about the CB, as you have not witnessed the mini-missile in person yet but once you ride it you will be a fan.

I went to buy the 300 the day I bought the 500. Ridden back to back the 500 is the

• Member Contributer

Datsuns were starting to arrive today. I saw a couple groups roaming around. A few years ago this was TXMac weekend, and we would be seeing Z cars everywhere!

Archived