Official 12Th Annual Texasmac Event Thread 2015

TEXASMAC, what is that??? A little history

It all started when Bruce Williams(AKA TexasMac) posted up a question on VFRD in the Fall of 2003 asking "Can you ride the Dragon in Dec.?" Myself and several others offered to meet Bruce for the first time and ride with him on some of the great roads there including the Famous Dragon he had heard some much about down in Dallas, TX.

The plan was to meet at the Robbinsville Microtel on the morning of the 26th. I trailered over and was standing in the parking lot when Bruce rolled in from Atlanta, he was semi froze as it was it the 20's most of his ride. I got him off the bike to thaw while we waited for Gary to arrive. Gary arrived a little later and the three of us took off heading to Deals Gap after taking a pic or two in front of the motel.

Here we were at the Over Look Friday afternoon just after finishing a run on the famous Dragon that Bruce wanted to ride! Gary standing on left and Bruce seated.

post-301-0-06866200-1388276508.jpg

A shot of the three of us Friday morning before we started the day(left Bruce, Me, Gary).

post-301-0-37929500-1388276521.jpg

Bruce, Gary and I enjoyed a nice 150-200 mile day, Gary split off and Bruce and I headed back to the Microtel where we split a room. We shared lies and a few brews that evening and talked about our next days ride. If I remember correctly Ray drove in that evening and the three of us meet up out front the next morning.

Here is a shot I took from Dec. 27th, 2003. Bruce Williams(TexasMac) on the left in front of his loved 03 Silver VFR and Ray(Hotrodder) on the right in front of the Microtel of Robbinsville. A little more than one hour later Bruce would no longer be with us!

post-301-0-36365700-1388276214.jpg

The following April a small group of VFRD members gathered to honor and pay respects to a fallen member(VFRD's first Loss) with a gathering and also placed a cross at the scene of the loss on NC28 just South of Fontana Village, NC.

Here is that group of VFRD members who started the event and placed the Cross.

post-301-0-98469100-1389659453.jpg

Here is a shot from last years 10th Anniversary 2013 TexasMac

post-301-0-21090600-1390003943.jpg

Now Welcome to the official 2015 TexasMac Memorial Ride thread.

The event will run May 28th thru May 31st, 2015.
This is the 12th Annual T-Mac.

Event HQ/Motel
This year we will Return to the MICROTEL Inn in Franklin, NC. It is the event HQ and starting point.
Please see Event Registration below and sign-up also when you book a room.
I have all the Motel's 60 rooms reserved for VFRD and these rooms will be held for us only until April 15th when all non-reserved rooms will be released for anyone else to rent.
Ask for the VFRD/Kevin Bailey reserved rooms.
Our rates for this event are $59/night for all rooms. Please contact the Microtel in Franklin at 888-403-1700 and reserve your room(s) with a credit card in order to hold them for our event. I would love to have the entire place just for the T-Mac, but doubt we will have that many attenders to do so. They will honor these room rates for the entire week so be sure to ask for the discount if your coming in early or staying later!
Beer is allowed at the Motel and there is a medium size indoor meeting room that we can hang out as a group, but think it's limited to 50 people.

http://www.microteli...rch&002=2190258

Event Registration
Again this year we are using Eventbrite On-line registration for this years T-Mac. Again a DINNER Ticket and a event T-shirt is included, but extra dinner or tee's can be purchased at the bottom of the second page "Additional Items"

Here's the link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/12th-annual-texasmac-memorial-ride-2015-vfrdiscussion-tickets-15643795012

Please add your VFRD member name to your Paypal payment note Thx.
NEW!!! The registration fee that includes an event T-shirt and Sat. Nights Awards Dinner and helps to cover other incidental cost of maps, chairs, tent, plates, cups and such for the event.
It will ask for you shirt size, preferred Ride Group, days you plan to attend and emergency contact and info so we know what medication you might need and have someone to contact in case of any problem. On that note it's also advisable to carry emergency contact info on you for the same reason, I like the helmet info packets best myself.
Also with Ride group selection being private you might be less likely to let ego choose your group and I suggest you drop down one level to start with, then move up or down as needed through out the event.

Group Dinner- is included this year where we will have everyone together Saturday night for a group event, it will be a catered meal at the motel like last years or possibly at the resturant just below the motel.
This is also a chance to hand out awards or door prizes with everyone in attendance.

Group rides
I will only have ride groups organized with Lead/Sweep teams for the Novice & slower Int. ride groups this year and just let all Int. & Advanced riders organize their own groups.
We will have group rides/routes planned for Friday & Saturday that will include both long and short versions so riders can decide just how far they what to ride. Thursday & Sunday will not have any official ride or route planned, just days to acclimate to the area and do whatever you like.
As mentioned we will have long (aprox 250 mile) and short routes (aprox 150 mile) each day and each group will have a Lead/Sweep team to guide/control/maintain a SAFE group ride .
We'll have at least 3 ride group categories, Novice/Relaxed(newer riders), Intermediate and Advanced ride groups. The idea here is Not to let Ego choose your ride group. We want everyone to have a fun and safe time while participating in this event and controlling how groups are run is the biggest factor in a successful and safe event.
This is not a Competition or Race and our Lead riders will lead for the entire group, not a "your on your own" attitude.
Safety and fun will be the focus of all group rides, the idea is for everyone to make it home safely and share what a great time they had at the T-Mac. Not who's the fastest rider. Please keep the ego's at home.

- Routes will be posted sometime next spring and will include GPS and hard maps of each days ride.
- Lead/Sweep teams will be picked from volunteers I choose that have the attitude I'm looking for which is Group oriented not self and you do not need to be a star rider, super fast or live in the area to be a good team member. I'll start a different thread for that over the next few weeks and will get into more detail then.
- Group size - I hope to have enough quality Lead/sweep teams to keep group sizes small as smaller groups sizes make everything easier and safer. Preferably 6-8 riders per.

Basic Ride Groups:

Novice: Beginner/newer riders & riders who never go over the posted limits, have little to no twisty experience and are in no hurry to get anywhere. Group stops often for pics/rest/talk.

Intermediate:(Int/slow) Experienced riders, but little twisty experience. Confident in skills except newer to Heavy Mtn Twisties. PACE is Speed limit +/- 5-10 mph. Fun, Safe & consistent PACE. Shorter Loops(150/200 mile) because heavy twisty routes cause fatigue to set in MUCH Faster than normal. Time for extra miles if desired.

Advanced:(Int/fast) Experienced TWISTY/Mtn riders and or track day experience, confident with non-stop twisties and the endurance to handle them on longer routes(usually 300+ miles) Ride PACE avg. of 10-20 mph over.

Note on group selection:
This area is unmatched in twisties both in volume, duration and technical level compared to 90% of the rest of the country and if you don't ride in similar terrine in that other 10% of the country YOU WILL NOT BE READY FOR WHAT YOU'LL ENCOUNTER HERE !
These twisties there are endless providing little chance to rest and fatigue sets in very quickly. Fatigue multiplies the chance of crashing by 10 fold especially in this area where the turn you just screwed up is only half as hard as the one your now entering from the wrong side of the road. Even the slightest mistake is compounded by the extremely technical nature of these roads that provide little to No room for error!

Please do not take group selection lightly, your life may depend on it! I can not express that fact enough!

We place a lot of importance and responsibility in the roll of our Lead/Sweep Teams and our desire for them to focus on GROUP safety as it's a very important aspect of this events success. But No matter how dedicated out Teams are, we can not control the choices each attendee makes and the effect these have on the entire Event. :unsure:
Each rider coming to this event also plays a hug roll in it's success buy choosing a proper and safe ride group for them. If you are an Intermediate rider in most of the country you will be a Relaxed level rider in this part of the country, please don't let ego pick your ride group! This is the single biggest and most important decision you will make when attending the T-Mac, it will play the biggest role in the fun and safety of everyone involved.
Please do your part and focus on the Fun factor along with Not loosing sight of the fact that this is a Memorial Ride for the first VFRD member to loose his life!
Thanks

Pre-Ride Meetings

We try to have pre-ride meetings each morning before the days ride at breakfast(TBA). The days ride is covered along with maps handed out to anyone that doesn't already have one, the group is then broken down into ride groups with Lead/Sweep teams for each. If there is a planned group lunch stop it will also be discussed.

Ride Rules
Please read rules at this link.
http://www.vfrdiscus...rules-texasmac/
We also ride the PACE, read link:
http://www.vfrdiscus...787#entry385787
Ride area
This area has some of the best roads this country has to offer with great pavement, beautiful scenery and tons of twisties. But all of these great twisties can also be a hazard for riders who don't get to ride great twisties often and even for skilled riders who loose focus. It's a great area, but can also be hazardous.
Be careful and don't ride over your head.

Please add your VFRD member name to your Paypal payment note, thanks.

Event History
For some members who have no idea what the TexasMac ride is here are some details, Texasmac was a member here who was from *you guessed it* Texas who met Baileyrock and some others for a ride into the Tennesse/North Carolina Smoky mountains to ride the famous Deals Gap. He passed away in a bizarre accident when his bike went off the road and ended up on top of him. He was the first member at VFRD to pass away - it was a shock to many of us, and to those who where with him they decided to honor him with an annual ride to the same spot of the accident, where there is a cross placed in his name. Baileyrock has taken it upon himself to organize this event for the last nine years and each year it gets bigger and better, always with safety in mind so that what happened to Texasmac doesn't happen to another member.
BTW the picture at the top of this thread is the actual Cross Raising for TexasMac Event of April, 2004 which is what the T-Mac anniversary is based on. Bruce Williams aka TexasMac was Lost Dec. 27th, 2003 riding with Baileyrock(Kevin) and Hot Rodder(Ray).

Note:
I was told that some newer riders have some worries about not being a good enough rider to attend this event and I want to dispel that fear. We will have at least one(more if needed) beginner/new rider group with a qualified (for this group) Leader who will maintain a Scenic/Relaxed pace that the entire group can easily maintain. These groups will also run shorter routes so that's there's no pressure to keep up with the entire event and also to prevent fatigue from setting in.
Every group will have both a Lead rider and a Sweeper who tags along behind their group to make sure no one gets lost or left behind and will be there (first to scene) if there's a problem.

Please PM me with any concerns or needs.

On the other side of that, there will also be some faster Paced groups for experienced riders and everything in between. We'll most likely have Scenic/Relaxed/ Int. groups.

Thanks!

No refunds after April 15th.
BR

Enjoy

BR

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just hope getting lost while being a group leader does not qualify as undesired alternative behavior.(Blush) And NO, I will not be leading a group this year. (I'll make an exception for a ride with Warwoman - if she wants me to lead so she can see my butt move about. :tongue: :wheel: )

I'd be glad to be a sweep person for a relaxed ride group this year (and I do not care if the leader gets us lost since it is a way-of-life for me! :cool: ).

OK Kiddies, all set and open for business!!! :cheerleader:

I guess ending ticket sales in 2014 was a small issue! :wacko:

Only Change is that ticket price now includes the Dinner Banquet to make things much easier for me and all volunteers!

BR

• Member Contributer

It feels good to be the first. Is there an award at TMAC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A mug of Kevin's "special brew"? :unsure:

post-8974-0-76685000-1423208141.jpg

:goofy:

I just made my hotel reservation and bought my TexasMac ticket. Woohoo! :cool:

I made the reservation for Wed. through Sat. nights, as I'm hoping to get to Franklin a day early. I'm actually planning to leave home Mon. or Tues. and take my time coming down, hitting some great roads along the way.

This will be my first TMac since 2010, but I was fortunate enough to spend a couple days riding in that region last fall as part of my Blue Ridge Parkway tour. NC 28, Dragon, Wayah Road, Cherohala, etc. - what a blast. Can't wait to do them all again this May!

See you fellow VFR freaks in a few months! :wink:

I'd offer you half of my room, Seb, but I booked a single. I thought about booking a double and splitting the cost, but I snore rather loudly.

So a single room and no roomie for me -- I wouldn't want some poor bloke to crash and blame me because they weren't properly rested due to lack of sleep because my snoring kept them awake all night! :angry:

• Member Contributer

Select members had their registration cancelled last year - a nice way to encourage those with alternative behaviors to go elsewhere.

Boy they did mess up banning deviants in 2012 eh?

132b754a.jpg

At 1st I thought I felt his thumb.......

• Member Contributer

Never too early to start collecting some give away swag for the event!!!

The Pirellli hats and Michelin metal sign are especially nice. Hopefully a few more cool items to come before the event.

post-24302-0-72994000-1423524657.jpg

post-24302-0-78161900-1423524697.jpg

Signed-up and room reserved. Thoughts of NC twisties make all this white stuff on the ground bearable. Just.

Marking off calendar days 'till TMAC!

• 2 weeks later...

With Arkansas' best twisties right outside my door I haven't been on a getaway ride for quite some time. Seems like every spring weekend there is a group coming to enjoy Arkansas so I just stay put and lead rides around these here parts. However, the boss is wanting to take a trip this year so we are seriously considering heading back to the smokies and joining up for some rides with you guys. At this point we are thinking about heading over on Monday and riding the entire week and departing on Sunday or Monday. When I know that we can actually swing It and what the plans might be I will post up!

Y'all do allow big ole heavy vfr1200's doing 2up duty to participate?

• Member Contributer

Thinking about attending this for the 1st time and it would be my 1st time at the Dragon. Does the event hotel have enough parking for a truck and 2 bike trailer? Thinking of bring both my VFR's if I attend. Too much of a p*&^sy to ride all the way down from Indiana.

Thanks,

Nick

Thinking about attending this for the 1st time and it would be my 1st time at the Dragon. Does the event hotel have enough parking for a truck and 2 bike trailer? Thinking of bring both my VFR's if I attend. Too much of a p*&^sy to ride all the way down from Indiana.

Thanks,

Nick

Plenty of space and the trailer is the way to go. It's so nice, after days of riding hard, to just drive home half asleep.

If parking gets tight, maybe this guy will share some space.

Treacherous.

• Forum CEO

Well finally the time rolled up enough that I could request pto, we have this policy at work where you cant ask for pto too far out. It was approved so I am gonna ride again this year. Shoe string budget, maybe camp on the way, couch surf if I can! Might be dragging a few riders along the way with me and back too!

Mite be 3 51's this year .

And just how will you feel when you're hittin it on the 51 and I show you a wheel with my 471 cc firebreather?

I will feel like doing what I am supposed to do:

Waving you past. Studying your lines until I cannot see you any more, catching up with you at the overlook for a smoke and a bottle of water, and arriving at the Microtel in one piece.

Oh yea, this is what the back of it looks like, AS YOU PASS ME cause you dont get this view for long, before you become a speck.. haha

10916377_10206115511746530_6497730670909

Steve and I did a no brake Dragon run at last year's TMAC that was a hoot.

No brake runs are a good challenge, a lot of fun and a great practice tool. You learn how to manage throttle, rely on engine braking and set a proper corner entry speed that leaves a margin for unexpected surprises. It's a common track school exercise and when you get the hang of it, your ride is "smooth like buttah"! It also keeps you from getting too fast on the straights with the unwanted attention that brings. I do it a lot when riding solo, but I also feel it works well in a group of similar skills riding "The Pace".

• Member Contributer

Not in the cards for me this year even though the dates work. AngelRide and TMAC on different dates, but alas other stuff is taking priority.

I will live vicariously through pictures and DeCoppe Studios Motion Pictures.

:mad:

Are there still going to be the usual planned scenic/beginner rides? I know Glen was kind enough to lead one last year. My dad is a new rider and will be at Tmac Thursday-Sunday and wanted him to have a group of no pressure, more relaxed pace riders to get to go out with and what not.

-PRB

I will Always try to have Lead Groups for at least one or two slower/first time twisty mtn road riders at every Tmac, these are the folks that need our help to stay safe & have fun. Most all other groups are on their own as they are mostly made of repeat and skilled twisty riders. :tour:

BR

• Member Contributer

I'm in just registered. Can't wait will be my 1st trip to The Dragon. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

• Member Contributer

BR, Forgot to put my member name on my Paypal when I registered. It's burnes45 and my last name is Burnes. Hope this does not create any hardship on you. Thanks for time and effort to put this on.

So how welcome would a NON-VFR be in the group? I have a CB500f right now, and looking to get either a 5th or 6th gen (not decided 100% yet) this summer. I'd love to come ride with you guys, check out/listen to the bikes, and get to know everyone and the community.

Archived