Nervous About Taking A Long Trip

EMTintruder

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a lot of folks use bicycle shorts, do you guys think I should ditch the top givi box and I st use a water proof bag or back pack tied down, I feel like my top box would catch a lot of wind? And do you guys want photos or should I get a go pro and get some video to share

I would try the bicycle shorts before replacing the seat. I have a Sargent seat and still use bicycle shorts for long days. In addition to padding, they also help with moisture wicking. Before I got the hard saddle bags, I used the top case and a water proof bag. The top case is a great place to secure valuables during stops and is easy access for a camera or snacks at a stop. I tend to keep rain gear and other stuff in the water proof bag.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Love my top box! Keeps all my tools, rain gear, cleaning supplies, water bottles and such.

Typically leave it locked on the bike when over-nighting at hotels. Keeps everything dry, safe and handy.

Absolutely no issues with wind. Actually think it helps with downdrafts off of me, but I have mine mounted over the pillion seat, not off the back.

To read about "long rides", you need to go to ADVRider.com .....at any time, there are dozens of ride reports of trans-europe, trans north/south american, pan aussie etc ...rides of weeks, months and years duration. Everybody set out with a few basics in mind ...meet and make new friends, see sights that expand your mind and spirit, experience something...anything that's as far different from "everyday" as you can get ... break downs, bad weather, getting lost, bugs, crappy food, wild animals, shitty campsites and the occasional idiot in a cage or on a scooter are also included in any long trip (short trips also). Provided you have the time, the $$'s and at least one dependable person who can identify your remains, along with the bike of your choice, there,s not much holding anybody back from packing up and heading out.

And there is no better way to get to know yourself and your bike.

At 66 years old, I plan to continue making the home to the Yukon trip many more times. Freedom to travel in north america is a blessing !!

post-24317-0-49638900-1422031986.jpg

Guest Recalcitrance

Looks like a nice stretch with plenty of potential for avoiding the slab.

Your set up looks like plenty for 500 miles. =)

BRP is one of my dream roads to ride.

If I were in the area, I'd jump in and join you for a few miles. :wheel:

I know the BRP well: I lived most of my life right near the beginning of it. If/when you ride it remember the speed limit is 45 MPH. And it's federal land, so the cops are in govt garb. And they are serious about the 45 MPH, esp. if you are on a bike. I've ridden it end to end 4-5 times, and their attitude is the same the whole length of it: Drive 45 MPH, or get impounded on the spot. My group of 3 riders went down to one (me) for doing 62 on one trip like this.

• Member Contributer

Gradus and a few friends rode with me from Charlotte NC to Little Switserland. To get me on my way and on the BRP.

as we drew near, lighting and rain greeted us. We had lunch and the suggestion was made to drop down the mountain and take the slab. Well I did not come over to ride slab.... Getting up on the BRP it was foggy and wet.

It was fan tas tic.... Sure, speeds were down to maybe 50mph but loved every moment

• Member Contributer

I have been touring on my VFR for over ten years. I learn something new on every single trip....that is part of the adventure! Do not worry about getting it all right as "touring lessons learned" is a journey not a destination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As has been mentioned many times ....read trip reports here and on advrider etc.

Start small like you are doing and build the gear crap as your trips expand and as the $$$$ come in/out!

It is a ball and just do it! It is all good no matter what happens...mostly!

med_gallery_2144_7292_3406729.jpg

I summarized many of my lessons learned in a report I did last year. Frankly many of my must dos are like breathing now just part of the tour soup!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78484-v4s-to-utah-and-the-north-rim/

• Member Contributer

I have been touring on my VFR for over ten years. I learn something new on every single trip....that is part of the adventure! Do not worry about getting it all right as "touring lessons learned" is a journey not a destination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As has been mentioned many times ....read trip reports here and on advrider etc.

Start small like you are doing and build the gear crap as your trips expand and as the $$$$ come in/out!

It is a ball and just do it! It is all good no matter what happens...mostly!

med_gallery_2144_7292_3406729.jpg

I summarized many of my lessons learned in a report I did last year. Frankly many of my must dos are like breathing now just part of the tour soup!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78484-v4s-to-utah-and-the-north-rim/

That shot reminds me of this one:

Crowsnest.jpg

Not the most exciting stretch of road, but free of traffic and slowly drying in the morning light. I can smell the wet grass, sage brush and pine trees, and feel the cool mist as I ride into the hills ...

I too have toured many thousands of miles over the years, most of them on lesser bikes (I've only had my VFR since 2010). Follow the good advice above--and enjoy. Nothing beats the fun, adventure and zen of a few days or weeks with only the machine and the open road to occupy your thoughts.

• Member Contributer

TAKE THE TOP BOX! I've never felt it behind me. Saddle bags are only an issue if you're facing daunting cross winds like I've found in the wide open central plains. (SD/NE/KS/OK) I usually have my top box almost empty, I just keep an old school monster-sized atlas and a pair of tennis shoes in there for longer walks and times when I'm in shorts and don't want to wear my tall riding boots. That leaves plenty of room for my jacket and/or helmet to be locked up when I want to ditch them for a while. Also leaves room for souvenirs and keeps the CG low on the bike. Sometimes I leave the saddle bags at home and just run with the tank bag and top box for better fuel mileage. Your top box is your friend!

My top two, all-time favorite machines on the planet. VFR & P-51 Mustang

• Member Contributer

I've got a massive 55 litre Givi top box that's barely noticeable. Even passing through the wind tunnel of West Texas last April in 6 hours of 50 mph winds, it hardly makes a difference

My Givi is my best friend. :)

post-28395-14220864204344.jpg

• Member Contributer

While it make you look like a pizza delivery, it sure is a good thing to have on trips. allowing you to lock away things instead of lugging it with you. Inside a restaurant of visiting something along the way.

Your bike looks 100% made for long distance touring....

but should you get cold feet, buy me a return ticking to the US and I will do the trip for you. What are friends for eh? :goofy:

Oh yeah and try and park the bike on the centrestand ALWAYS. I got lazy and used the side stand and a very strong gust of wind tipped the bike over and down into a shallow ditch such that the bike was on a slope upside Down and getting it up in that position was impossible. I had to add insult to Injury and scrape up the fairings even more by Having to Drag the thing around to a position I could lift it up From. Oh and Take the Topbox and all extra weight off before trying to lift it, it already weighs a quarter of a tonne. And if there's absolutely No-one in sight to help, do it before the adrenalin wears off. And use your legs not your Back... there are videos on YouTube with a particular technique.

• Member Contributer

In Aigust of 2013 I rode my 1200f from Reno to Ft Leavenworth, 3500 miles, spent 3 days going and coming home, 2 days at a friends house. A lot of prep for the route, new tires, oil change, and weather gear, all types of weather, biggest problem was my ear buds were very painful, so my music only lasted a day, other than that, it was epic.

With everything that's been said, hope you've been taking notes. My thinking is be prepared and JUST DO IT. Back in the 80's when I bought my new 84 Interceptor every year we would of course go over the entire bike before takin off for Laguna, then my buddy and I would either flip a coin after the race on Monday to figure which direction we were heading, with absolutely no plans on our destination. We didn't even have flat repair kit..nothing but a few extra tools. Oregon ,Colorado ,Utah Tahoe, and many many more. The best memories of my life, or should I say the top three besides my Wife and Boy.

All the anxiety will leave once you get on your bike and go. Good luck and DON'T forget the RV AAA

• Member Contributer

Like several people have suggested, the best thing to install is a voltmeter. If you have that a plug for the GPS is not a problem. I have my GPS wired to the bike through a Blue Seas fuse box. If you wire it direct just remember to use an inline fuse.

• Member Contributer

My dad and I and a friend started taking long trips 4 years ago. Every time we go something happens. It's just part of the trip. First year my battery died (ended up being bad R/R), luckily happened in a town with a walmart. Second year friends harley battery dies. Yea push starting a harley doesnt happen. Can't remember other years but something happend.

Obviously not so bad when in a group, but the best advice I can give you is.............

don-t-panic-and-carry-a-towel-75.png

• Member Contributer

I made a trip from Atlanta to Ky and had a break down. As it happened one of our VFRD members was about five miles away and came over to help me out. I agree with Wera803. The best way to get over the fear is to do it. When I was on my epic ride from Atlanta to Ontario and back I broke down in the middle of nowhere but it was about 15 minutes before some guy with a flat bad truck came by and helped me take the bike to a dealer about 20 miles away. As long as you have a check book (credit card is better) and a cell phone, no break down is unto death.

Archived