• Member Contributer

No, sorry it's not a electric / IC engine hybrid VFR that I am referring too (sorry but electric bikes just aren't my thing)... I am talking about mating the glorious sound of the 5th gen's GDC V-four to the more modern looking subframe/ tail section of the 6th gen.

How am I passing the time this winter? I bought a low mile (about 7k) Y2K VFR 800 in October and began collecting parts to swap out the subframe to a 6th gen complete with undertail exhaust.

My Honda bags from my '07 RWB will also be seeing some time on this bike as well.

I can't recall the previous VFRD member that had done this originally, but after seeing how fantastic his bike turned out I was inspired to build my own.

Here she is as I bought her in October. The bike was in great shape, with a V&H slip on and top box. I sold the top box off and am also selling the slip on exhaust as well.

Here are some pics of the bike that I was inspired from. (sorry I couldnt figure out how to post pics and then add text, and then type some more... )

And here is my progress so far

- new 6th gen subframe attached

-Staintune exhausts mounted

Next step is to relocate the rectifier and install the LED tail light on its way from Germany.

I will also be de-linking the front brakes, using Superhawk front forks and 6 piston calipers from a GSXR 1000. The rear shock will be swapped with JD CBR 929 unit, the turn signals will be "de-dumbo'd", the screen replaced with an MRA dark smoke double bubble, Braking brake rotors, a CBR 900RR master cylinder, LED front bulbs for the headlights, and the Shinkos will be replaced with some Pirelli Angel GTs.

post-24302-0-00572000-1421368626.jpeg

post-24302-0-24131000-1421368665.jpeg

post-24302-0-77932300-1421368679.jpg

post-24302-0-67054900-1421368981.jpg

post-24302-0-61886700-1421369029.jpg

post-24302-0-00186500-1421369043.jpg

post-24302-0-89065400-1421369119.jpg

post-24302-0-69060200-1421369133.jpg

post-24302-0-20587800-1421369155.jpg

post-24302-0-23964400-1421369171.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

No, sorry it's not a electric / IC engine hybrid VFR that I am referring too (sorry but electric bikes just aren't my thing)... I am talking about mating the glorious sound of the 5th gen's GDC V-four to the more modern looking subframe/ tail section of the 6th gen.

How am I passing the time this winter? I bought a low mile (about 7k) Y2K VFR 800 in October and began collecting parts to swap out the subframe to a 6th gen complete with undertail exhaust.

My Honda bags from my '07 RWB will also be seeing some time on this bike as well.

I can't recall the previous VFRD member that had done this originally, but after seeing how fantastic his bike turned out I was inspired to build my own.

Here she is as I bought her in October. The bike was in great shape, with a V&H slip on and top box. I sold the top box off and am also selling the slip on exhaust as well.

Here are some pics of the bike that I was inspired from. (sorry I couldnt figure out how to post pics and then add text, and then type some more... )

And here is my progress so far

- new 6th gen subframe attached

-Staintune exhausts mounted

Next step is to relocate the rectifier and install the LED tail light on its way from Germany.

I will also be de-linking the front brakes, using Superhawk front forks and 6 piston calipers from a GSXR 1000. The rear shock will be swapped with JD CBR 929 unit, and the Shinkos will be replaced with some Pirelli Angel GTs.

The member you are looking for is 'tinkerinWstuff'. He is predominately over on VFRW but hasn't been as active as in past but he's still around. I actually got to see his bike first hand at the VFRW R3 event a couple years ago. He did an awesome job, especially considering what he started with!

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/36725-T3-Tinks-Annual-Project-Bike-%28-98-VFR800%29

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Such a sharp looking combo of generations! Keeping the yellow?

Yes I like the Y2K yellow. It will be a nice change from the red and the other panels and tank are in good shape. Apparently Honda yellow is extremely difficult to match, so my thought was to paint the tail section/ seat cowl gloss black with yellow decals. I plan to finish it off with gunmetal wheels.

• Member Contributer

The yellow has pearl-effect stuff in it, which is probably why it is considered impossible to match. I was pleased, however, to find that Honda has used the same paint on many other bikes--including some bikes with swappable forks, such as one of the 900RRs (and, I think, the Firestorm/SuperHawk). So I have a perfectly matching, Y124P front mudguard for my RC51 SP1 forks... There was never a Y124P VTEC, though, AFAIK.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
Never seen that one, the yellow 2000 in the outdoor (Mountains in the background) photos above is Tinks though.

• Member Contributer

The 5th gen tank fits fine. There is a small gap but I plan to use black vinyl around the base of the tank so its not nearly as noticable.

• Member Contributer

I agree about the "stop listening to the web" but in this case the local autobody shop did say the same thing, that the yellow is nearly impossible to match. I am sure someone could do it but don't feel like the hassle of trying multiple times. I have a good vinyl guy that can make that gap look invisible. It will clean up the lines of the tank anyways, similar to the pic.

post-24302-0-65369000-1421429608.jpg

I once brought a fender from a Pearl Sunbeam Yellow F4i to a local shop, and watched the guy mix a perfect match by hand. I was amazed.

All depends on where you go.

Plus, since you're not mating the parts panel to panel, you can be off a tad and never notice.

I'll stop badgering you now, I just like the yellow look vs a black tail, so I was urging you to branch out. :smile:

It's not the only awkward paint colour; I tried to get some blue touch-up paint from an automotive paint supplier, and they said it wasn't as simple as one colour; it actually was three different coats, with the amount of purple and blue varying, followed by the gloss topcoats. So.... it's touched up in places with paint from my spousal-unit's last car, which isn't even remotely close. I shoulda just said to the guys at Smits ; "Bugger it; I don't care if it's not a perfect match, just give me some anyway.

• Member Contributer

take it to a place that uses

DuPont Acquire Plus EFX Spectrophotometer

i have seen it match a 1 off custom mix to perfection..

you can also sand down a spot on your old tail to find the underlying paint colors. :beer::fing02:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to take another look at matching the yellow. Honestly I would prefer yellow and I always love a challenge.

If I end up with a set of 6th gen bags on it though, do you guys think that painting those yellow also will be too much or should I go with black on those?

• Member Contributer

My two cents; if you end up being able to match the tail section to the front bodywork, I'd go yellow hard bags, just go back to the same guy for paint. Otherwise matching the gunmetal of your wheels would look sharp.

Although I am confident you can find a match, another (more expensive) option you might consider, is picking up spare plastics and painting the entire bike worth of plastic the same color. Then an exact match won't matter and you'll have enough left over for touch-ups.

Sell your good stock panels to someone who crashed their bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I made good progress this week collecting parts for the next steps in the project. This week its time to dive into the electrical and upgrade and relocate the reg/rectifier, install the li-ion battery, install the VFR ness, and the GI Pro digital gear indicator.

I did however run into a small snag. To fit up the OEM Honda bags and bag mounts I need the rear fender. This is the rear support for the bags. I have hunted high and low on ebay and craigs list and not had any luck. Ifound one on ebay but the guy wants as much as they sell for new from Honda. the irony is that this is a part that alot of owners just take off and throw in the corner of the garage! So if anyone has one just laying around and taking up space, I could sure use it.

Otherwise I might be able to fab something up, but paying $100 for this part is not going to happen!

• Member Contributer

C'mob guys, lets not forget that Honda did a shite job of matching the yellow. On my '99 VFR there was a difference between the side panels and the front cowl. I assume it was due to the plastic not being totally opaque, but I never noticed a similar issue on my other VFRs.

Also, primer and prep can have a big effect on the paint job.

Archived