Corrosion On Wheel Lugs

NRSPTR

While replacing the chain on my '08 this weekend, I noticed major corrosion on the wheel lugs. Its a white chalky powder almost like what you would see on battery terminals, all over the lugs and lug nuts. This has me stymied since there was no corrosion present last spring when I took the wheel off to replace the rear tire. Now, a year later, its awful. Is this a common problem? There is only one theory I can come up with to explain this. I had my bike at the dealer getting the clutch and brakes flushed and filled about 6 months ago. I am assuming that they pulled the wheel to get at the rear calliper. Maybe they put on the wrong lug nuts and there is a metallurgical reaction occurring. Like I said, I'm stymied. Would love to know if corrosion on the lugs is typical on these bikes.

Thanks!

ive got that corrosion on some of the bolts that thread into the engine block.

What is surprising me the most is the speed at which they got to this state, they were perfect a year ago.

I ordered new lug nuts as a precaution and will be taking a wire brush and WD-40 to the lugs. Guess I am going to have to start pulling the wheel off more frequently to keep an eye on this.

Do you wash your wheels with a power washer/quarter car wash?

Nope. And to clarify, I'm not speaking of rust, this corrosion is like what you would expect to see on the terminals of an old battery. White chalky powder over the entire surface.

Good, 30 years ago I made the mistake of using the car wash, and had a hell of a time get rear axle out, covered in white chalky powder, which was soap that was driven in there, that why I asked.

Good, 30 years ago I made the mistake of using the car wash, and had a hell of a time get rear axle out, covered in white chalky powder, which was soap that was driven in there, that why I asked.

Good to know.

Archived