What Is Normal Operating Temp? New To Vfr's

estcstm3

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2008 vfra and noticed that my bike around town hits 222F alot and then the fan kicks on takes it down to about 216. I do live in florida so my riding temps are still in the 70's. I dont have alot of open stretch riding in town to work alot of stop and go. Just wanted to make sure that is normal. I pulled the fairing to change the oil and looked at the coolant which was at the right level in the resiovior. Just being overly cautious.

Dont have a manual yet anybody have a good thread on flushing and replacing the coolant?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to this forum! You'll find it to be a great help.

The downloads section has the full service manual. Can't beat that. Procedure is clear.

Your temps look ok but you should change the coolant if it hasn't been done in the last 2 years. I've found that increasing the water proportion helps with heat dissipation. 60% water gives a bit better coefficient than the normal 50/50.

• Member Contributer

Totally normal. I installed a fan override switch, but seldom use it until it's in the 80's or 90's in the summer.

• Member Contributer

If you see *continuous* temps below 180ºF or climbing higher than 220ºF
then trouble shooting is in order:

Engine temps below 180ºF or 82ºC is an problem... it means that the
moisture produced during combustion is not getting hot enough to
evaporate out the pipe as steam... instead that moisture will migrate
to the oil and produce a milky white contamination...

Note normal by products of combustion is water... . Every gallon of gas
creates roughly 8 pounds of water vapor... we all have witnessed water
escaping out of tail pipes on cold mornings...

the sequence of events to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty temp meter...
2)Thermostat stuck open...
3)Faulty fan switch... (stuck on)

Continuous engine temps above 220ºF or 104ºC is also a problem and the proper
order of items to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty radiator cap... system should hold 1.1 pressure ratio...
2)Insufficient coolant...
3)Passages blocked in the radiator, hose or water jacket...
4)Air in the system...
5)Thermostat stuck closed...
6)Faulty temp meter or thermo sensor...
7)Faulty fan...
8)Faulty fan switch...

6th gens are lean machines and run hotter that what most of us think is normal. Honda sets the fan to come on at 220 and consider 255 HOT!

Your numbers are fairly common, but can't hurt to check levels and be sure it's burped correctly.

BR

PS BLS doesn't know squat about bikes! :goofy:

Continuous engine temps above 220ºF or 104ºC is also a problem or a 6th gen VFR!

• Member Contributer

When it's hot, > ~90F, I see temps it the high 220's and some lower 230's if sitting in traffic. Manual says worry when your guage goes red somewhere over 250F. Normal range has been ~ 175F to 220F. Moving is always better (lower relative temps).

• Member Contributer

If it's around freezing temperatures or less, my 6th gen VFR will typically stay around 76 to 78 Celsius at highway speeds. When it's not bloody cold out, I usually see the bike in the 79-82 range instead.

It gets up to temperature quickly and doesn't ever drop below 76. The thermostat opens normally and the radiators get warm as I would expect. I feel that this is normal behaviour but I'm curious on your thoughts

Archived