Brake Pad Differences.

adeyren

• Member Contributer

Just changed all my brake lines for a full set of Goodridge s/s lines complete with EBC Double H pads. All three packs of pads had the same part no ie FA261HH (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181068536683?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) along with the same barcode number. However two packs were made in the USA and one pack were made in the UK. Other listings also show the same part number.Front pads fitted fine but the rear pads seem to thick to allow the disc to slide in. Pads fit a treat. Pistons are fully retracted but there is no way the disc will go in. Tried a set of the front pads in the rear, no problem, disc fits in between. Had to put the old ones back in as need to bleed the brakes tomorrow. Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

It could be that the pads are too thick and need to be sanded back a bit.

You can do this by placing some coarse emery paper on a very flat surface, and doing figure 8's while puting some pressure on the pad to take off some meat.

I has to do this as my aftermarket front disks are thicker then original.

• Member Contributer

There should be no difference between them. Is the the rear disk rotor OEM or aftermarket?

Do the questionable pads that don't fit on the rear fit on the front rotors?

Rollin

• Member Contributer

My recollection is that the 5 Gen and early 6 Gen had different pad part numbers for front and rear, but being the same for both generations. It was later 6 Gen bikes that shared the same pad part numbers front and rear. Or maybe it was the other way around...I need to check my cross reference sheet.

• Member Contributer

The "questionable" pads do not fit the front brakes. Rear disc (uk spelling) is OEM.

The only difference I'm aware of in the brake pads is that the rear ones have a small Groove in one end and the front ones don't (on the end opposite that with the eyelet)... I believe this is only for the 6th gen, not the 5th but am unsure about that. Either way, this means that the front ones won't fit into the rear callipers but the rear ones will fit up front. This is why they should have different part reference numbers. Never seen a problema with the thickness of the pads such that they wouldn't clear the rotor.

Front pads:
3b95747de53adeec80a762e0cd98d659.jpg

Rear pads:
7687f338ca9d6f0e65f81f7772e0c5ae.jpg

• Member Contributer

The front ones definitely fitted the rear. As all the part numbers were the same i assumed they were interchangeable. The old pads had grooves in them on the front but not in the rear ones. Will try and put a Vernier on them tmw along with pics.

Weird...

Either way, the ones with grooves will always fit... the ones without, if the calliper requires the pads have a Groove (due to some sort of protuding shape inside the calliper), then the pads that don't have the Groove shouldn't fit.

I really find Honda's reasoning behind requiring some to have a Groove and others not to, makes little sense... unless there is a difference in pad/rotor thickness...

Oh the mysteries...

• Member Contributer

Mysteries, mysteries, for years i have built, modified, repaired,trialled, greelaned and raced Landrovers and Range Rovers. You think bikes are bad! LR and RR are worse!! Still, its why we love things mechanical.

I think they are just a bad set of pads, hopefully a Vernier will explain more.

OK so the service manual says the new front rotors are 4.5 mm thick (service limit 3.5 mm), the rear rotors are 6.0 mm (limit 5.0 mm)... so obviously if a set of pads are thicker than the rear set should be they will either not clear the rotor once mounted in the calliper or will bind on the rotor to tightly if they do manage to clear it when completely retracting the pistons... this would give credence to the front pads not having grooves as they may be thicker and thus cannot be mounted into the rear calliper which requires they have a Groove... thus avoiding placing the front ones on the rear by mistake when changing the three sets at the same time.

If your fronts had grooves they may not have been OEM or simply were rear ones which will always fit up front. The trouble is trying to fit front ones up back.

• Member Contributer

I had it backwards. Same pad front and rear for 5 Gen and early 6 Gen (02-05) EBC FA261HH. Then the 06+ 6 Gen is FA388HH (front) and FA261HH (rear).

• Member Contributer

I put new ebc pads on a few months ago. All 3 sets were the same. No problems getting the new pads and calipers over the rotors. Incidentally I really like the bite that the ebc pads provide.

• Member Contributer

Did you measure the pad thickness and compare to the ones that fit?

Did the pads that don't fit have FA261/2HH on it?

ST1300 (and Goldwing?) uses the /2 on the rear and they are slightly thicker than the standard 261.

• Member Contributer

Sorry Auspanglish, chrome my browser wont let me post text, then image then text image etc. Working on it , driving me up the wall. Ideas?

• Member Contributer

I put new ebc pads on a few months ago. All 3 sets were the same. No problems getting the new pads and calipers over the rotors. Incidentally I really like the bite that the ebc pads provide.

I switched back to OEM on the last set and immediately regretted it, want to get back to those EBC's asap.

• Member Contributer

Measured the pads today with a Vernier and there are differences. First the pads i bought. Two first two are from the States , other one from the UK, why? Came from the same company.

post-30687-0-73215700-1420999807.jpg

Heres the pad that won't fit back or front. As you can see its 11.5mm thick. It will fit the caliper but not allow the wheel and disc in.post-30687-0-81711500-1420999908.jpg

Next are the pads that do fit and are interchangeable back and front allowing wheel to fit.post-30687-0-29686100-1420999961.jpg

As you can see this one is 9mm thick, a difference of 5mm over both pads hence disc not fitting.

Heres the two pads next to each other

post-30687-0-66994400-1421000079.jpg

As you can see theres quite a difference. Have also measured the disc thicknesses, both within tolerance. Dodgy pads?

• Member Contributer

just file the pads down , mirror and rough sand paper.. switch to fine grit when your close to spec. that simple should take you 5 min..

less if you have a bastard file..

• Member Contributer

just file the pads down , mirror and rough sand paper.. switch to fine grit when your close to spec. that simple should take you 5 min..

Reckon thats what i am gonna do. Cant be arsed to send them back and all that entails. Got a BIG belt sander at work. That'll sort it!

• Member Contributer

Reckon thats what i am gonna do. Cant be arsed to send them back and all that entails. Got a BIG belt sander at work. That'll sort it!

dont forget to wear a mask!!! thats nasty dust to breathe!!!

• Member Contributer

I switched back to OEM on the last set and immediately regretted it, want to get back to those EBC's asap.
I hear ya. I'm pretty sure the pads I took off were oem, and they seemed fine. But the ebc pads are sooo much better.

Archived