Mid-Job Help With Front Sprocket

NRSPTR

So I decided to replace my chain and sprockets today. I pulled of the front sprocket, and am noticing that the OEM sprocket has a rubber like material attached to both sides. I am replacing it with a JT steel sprocket (JTF339-16) which does not have this rubber material. Am I supposed to try to separate it off of the original and put it on the new one, or is it not a necessary piece???

Also, width of the OEM sprocket teeth is definitely wider in diameter than the JT. I just reconfirmed on JT's web site that the sprocket I ordered is for a 530 chain and it is. But it sure is concerning me that maybe it was intended for a 520 chain and incorrectly stamped. What do ya think???

post-26770-0-17688800-1420915437.jpg

• Member Contributer

It's not required. Lots of people prefer the OEM sprocket because of the damping the rubber provides. Aftermarket sprockets don't have it (and I can't imagine how you'd re-use it from an OEM sprocket).

Can't help you on the apparent size difference, sorry.

• Member Contributer

That's why Honda charge more. The plain sprocket is noisier than the o/e rubber damper unit - I went with one on one of my VFRs. Dunno if you need to shim the plain sprocket, some of the old hands will have a tough or two. ;-P

Lorne

This exactly why I use a genuine front sprocket when ever I change them out

the rubber is bonded to the sprocket and can not be removed and re used it helps to quieten the chain/sprocket noise

I won't use JT sprockets anymore after having to return 3 rear ones as they were out of round straight out of the bag They are stamped and quite badly finished

The last set I bought were laser cut from a crowd in Australia called "Chain Gang"

http://www.chaingangchainsandsprockets.com.au/

• Member Contributer

I'd use it. I don't really think you'll notice the difference in noise between an aftermarket sprocket and OEM. Maybe if you're going really slow, have the stock exhaust, and lean your head down really close...

You don't notice the difference in noise... but more than for noise I imagine it's for vibrations in the footpegs... I haven't really noticed this changed all that much either.

I'd use it. I don't really think you'll notice the difference in noise between an aftermarket sprocket and OEM. Maybe if you're going really slow, have the stock exhaust, and lean your head down really close...

If it were just the issue of not having the damper material, I'd probably use it. But the width difference just doesn't seem right to me. It's a good millimeter narrower and you can feel the sloppiness when you put it in the chain and shimmy it back and forth. A new sprocket shouldn't have "more" play in the chain than a worn one. The JT was only $16 so I will just trash it and chalk it up to a lesson learned. An OEM is on the way from Partzilla for $45.

Thanks again to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

• Member Contributer

Smart move, with a time consuming job like having to remove your chain in order to redo the sproket removal it's not worth it. Better to have the peace of mind than the $16.00 in the pocket.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered a 16t front sprocket, should be here Mon. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400795954297?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Will measure the original and the new one see if theres a difference.

Archived