"winter Is Here" ... 'oil Question"

burnes45

• Member Contributer

New to me 97 VFR coming up on 40K. I have been mostly communing about 3 miles 1 way. Here's my concern, My engine never reaches full operation temperature so condensation never gets burned out of the oil. So do the synthetics hold up better under these conditions or should I change my oil every 2K like I've been doing? I use Honda oil and filters. Dont need to know what is best oil just if I can extend my oil change intervals with no harm to motor.

Thanks. post-30227-0-02446100-1420851083.jpg

Picture of late 60's HONDA 125 GP Daytona winner 4cyl 4valves per cyl.

Don't know how many gears. The beginning!!

• Member Contributer

Your bike is gonna start suffering from "soccer Mom syndrome" if you don't open it up and let it run every once and a while...

All oils are gonna end up with condensation moisture if you don't get them hot enough... water is a by-product of petroleum fuel combustion. Synthetics are better at many things but to my knowledge they won't sequester the moisture so it can' t contact the metal & bearing surfaces.

Take the long way home every couple days and have some fun... jeez, the rest of us are sufferin' through single digit temps and your takin' the shortest distance between two points in the Sunshine State...

• Member Contributer

Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck in the open position. My VFRs all reach operating temp in approx. 2 miles or less.

New to me 97 VFR coming up on 40K. I have been mostly communing about 3 miles 1 way. Here's my concern, My engine never reaches full operation temperature so condensation never gets burned out of the oil. So do the synthetics hold up better under these conditions or should I change my oil every 2K like I've been doing? I use Honda oil and filters. Dont need to know what is best oil just if I can extend my oil change intervals with no harm to motor.

Thanks. attachicon.gif014.JPG

Picture of late 60's HONDA 125 GP Daytona winner 4cyl 4valves per cyl.

Don't know how many gears. The beginning!!

If you are concerned about oil temperature, why not take a detour once in a while. For most people driving a VFR is not a punishment.

My 6th gen takes 6 minutos to get to VTEC operation temp at 12°C ambient temp.

36ºC in 2'26"
55ºC in 4'40"
64ºC in 6'12"

And on the road At 100 km/h and 9-10°C amb. temp. it stabilizes at 80°C

You can't wait 6 or 7 minutes?

As already mentioned, Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open.

Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck in the open position. My VFRs all reach operating temp in approx. 2 miles or less.

This+ as far as water temps, of course the transmission takes longer .

I don't see you getting any benefit with synthetic, but you might run a light 30 weight oil since the oil never thins out under this scenario.

• Member Contributer

A picture speaks a thousand words.....

This is what oil looks like/contains when it is cold

post-8974-0-93604800-1420908362.jpg

Which disappears with the engine/oil heated up properly

post-8974-0-89792200-1420908358.jpg

3 miles commute... .get a bicycle!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'll Have to check the thermostat. Did not know what was normal I've never seen the thermometer above bracket on top off the 'C' except 1 time when I was stuck in stop and go traffic on a 90' day for 30-40 minutes. Also the only time I've heard the fans come on. Even on long rides the gauge stays just above the 'C'. Where is normal operation position of gauge? Who knew I had a problem thought I had an oil question. Shows the knowledge and expertise here. So now I'm changing the thermostat and coolant along with the oil. Thanks.

We should Keep in mind yours is a 4th gen 1997 VFR750 and Thus has a Front Mounted radiator Which cools very effectively, as Opposed to my 6th gen Which has side-Mounted Ones and is Thus a hotter-Running Machine than yours.

I believe the 4th gen's temperature Indicator usually sits where you have mentioned... so The only way to Know or Suspect the thermostat is to see how Long the bike Takes to get up to operating temp and seeing as you Don't have a Digital readout on that Model I'm not sure how you would go about that.

Actually now that I realize yours is a 4th gen I don't Know if it actually has a thermostat. Hahaha!!!

94-97 VFR's run very cool, and the temp gauges are pessimistic. I replaced my thermostat when I first got my 95, but to my dismay, found that the temp needle didn't do anything different than before.

Feel the hoses that run to the radiator when first starting up, and if they get warm with the engine, then you may need a new thermostat.

Also, it's worth noting that thermostat replacement means pulling carbs, but if your lucky enough to have already removed the chrome PAIR injection lines, removal could be facilitated just by removing the right fairing. Albeit, it won't be fun, still.

• Member Contributer

I have a 3rd gen, which is all very similar. Tstat replacement is MUCH simpler with the PAIR removed. Go to harbor freight and buy a IR thermometer. Should be less than $10. That will answer many unknowns.

I also replaced my Tstat because she never seemed to get warm, and the needle only got moved about 1/4". After the Tstat got replaced, no change.

Archived