Rear Wheel

3dcycle

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just looked up a bunch of parts as well, there are a lot of parts that match up, all the axle bearings are the same. the driven flange and dampners. the hub and carrier come up with different numbers. I found it to be kind of funny though, every time a part matched from 6 gen to 8 gen it also fit the cb1000r.

CB1000R rear wheel bolts up directly, and is rather inexpensive!

• Member Contributer

I just looked up a bunch of parts as well, there are a lot of parts that match up, all the axle bearings are the same. the driven flange and dampners. the hub and carrier come up with different numbers. I found it to be kind of funny though, every time a part matched from 6 gen to 8 gen it also fit the cb1000r.

CB1000R rear wheel bolts up directly, and is rather inexpensive!

and is is FUGLY!!!!! iobarf.gifbarf.gif

• Member Contributer

I like the 3rd gen 8-spoker, but the 8th gen is pure sex.....

Went on my knees for these:

vfr13_zpsc306a273.jpg

vfr122_zps29dae7cd.jpg

Would go on my knees for these too.........

honda_zps1d490f2f.jpg

bavaria_zps551c3fd5.jpg

:goofy:

Nobody bit on my 1200 wheel bolted to the 800 flange post?

They're both 5 bolt.... I wonder if the PCD is the same?

You could probably run a 190/55-17 on the correct sized rim.

I reckon the Pitch Circle Diameter or Bolt Circle Diameter (You know, the lug nut pattern or distance between lug nuts crosswise) is the same. I measured the CB's at the dealer's once... don't know where I wrote it down though (reckon = disclaimer).

• Member Contributer

the only problem with the 8 gen wheel is the 8 gen exhaust but on the 6 gen that would be beyond perfect

might have to go to the dark side (8 gen forum) and ask a few questions there.

Nobody bit on my 1200 wheel bolted to the 800 flange post?

They're both 5 bolt.... I wonder if the PCD is the same?

You could probably run a 190/55-17 on the correct sized rim.

I reckon the Pitch Circle Diameter or Bolt Circle Diameter (You know, the lug nut pattern or distance between lug nuts crosswise) is the same. I measured the CB's at the dealer's once... don't know where I wrote it down though (reckon = disclaimer).

The thing that has me wondering is the shaft Vs chain. I wonder if the shafty 1200 wheel has a different offset.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

so I went ahead and started ordering parts this week, got the axle coming for the end of the week. hopfully I will be able to get my bike out of storage in the next couple weeks. :)

• Member Contributer

You all make the 8 gen wheel fit way tooooo complicated.

Take one 5/6th gen axle, remove the studs, re drill & tap to match the 8th gen bolt pattern, pin or weld the studs in place & bolt it on ! Job jobbed.

Next ?

Oh on the bearing holders, you will find they are the same on all Honda VFR models, 400, 750, 800's etc They were also used on the NTV range & by Ducati (no we didn't steal your idea honest !) I think Triumph used them to, but can't say that for definate.

The offset is the only real difference with the axles. When I did my VFR800 to VFR400 axle swap, I only had to machine 2mm off one bearing shoulder on the axle & it dropped in with the correct offset for me to bolt the carbon RC45 wheel in place. Things on the cush drive side were more complex & Ducati & Triumph use different sized spline areas which stops them being interchangeable, never mind, designed & made my own cush drive :)

• Member Contributer

if only I had unlimited bike money and a machine shop. easy as pie.

did not think swapping axle is complicated, now drilling out current axle to a 5 lug fitment that gets complicated as I believe the axles have little tabs that the studs go through, on the 4 lug axles there are 4 tabs. on the 5 lug there are 5 tabs. so with out being able to machine the parts its is just easier to swap them with the right part... you know for safety sakes.

also if you want to make me the parts needed to so I would buy it from you as long as it does not cost more than $100 shipped to my door.

• Member Contributer

Local machine shop can be your friend, 2014+ axles secondhand will be hard to find yet, new is quite expensive. I had all the parts for my conversion machined for less than $150. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

just ordered my axle for $117

plus I hate to say it good machine in my area for decent price non existent.

• Member Contributer

Swapping the parts also means it can be swapped back...

Looking forward to your next report!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

got the axle in today, now I just have to sell off some cx500 parts to make room for this... anyone want cx500 parts? going really cheap. I just cant bring myself to throw them away....yet

• Member Contributer

IMG_0233.jpg

there I got it. waiting to get paid for a few more parts, then I should be able to get to my bike.

That axle looks like it has two different 5 bolt PCD patterns... could multiple 5 bolt wheel options be possible?

• Member Contributer

The other 5 holes look as though the bolts fit through in the opposite direction - possibly to attach the brake rotor.

• Member Contributer

Yes, the VFR800Fi and VTEC rear discs have four mounting bolts. New disc time! Hopefully, it will align with the existing caliper arrangement...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
WHEEL SUB-ASSY., RR. (TYPE1) (COO)
42650-MJM-305ZA
$399.15

AXLE, RR.
42300-MJM-D00
$141.20

ISK, RR. BRAKE
43251-MJM-D00
$172.01

Forgot you have to replace the rear rotor also.

More like $750 ..

Yeah the rear rotor will have to changed .

Archived