Rear Wheel

3dcycle

• Member Contributer

lol the overlaid data is cool, thanks to garmin. it will be a day or to first cuz it will be raining for the next week and that was my first ride of the season, watching out for sand.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a Crossrunner at a Honda dealer the other week. Same wheels? (Did the USA get the Crossrunner?)

Ciao,

Nope, but the 1200X CrossTourer is supposedly on it's way here for 2016.

• Member Contributer

Ah. The Crossrunner is essentially a VFR800F. It was introduced (as the RC60) in 2011, but it was substantially revised in 2015 as the RC80, which means it was developed just after the 8th gen. No surprise, then, that the later version shares the same wheels. (But which "gen" are they, one wonders... :wacko:)

Ciao,

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

figured I would update this real quick, I have just over 2000 miles on bike with this wheel, no issues. well that's not true, every one I see that rides and some that don't feel the need to talk about my bike when I stop. besides that its all good, you can all start ordering your set up now. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The 5th-gen axle is about 5mm longer than the 3rd-4th.  It otherwise fits into the earlier bearing carrier, but there'd be a gap that would make the sprocket carrier 5mm to far outboard.  Of course, anything is possible if you've got the skills and machinery--or the money.  Might be easier to remove the four studs and replace them with five (can't remember if they have the same PCD).

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

There is an 8th gen rear wheel on flea bay right now for $369 and free shipping.  Tempting, but I really don't feel the need to put it on any of my VFRs (my '01 and '00 have 3rd gen 8 spokers), or my Hawk (5-6th gen 5 spoke).  Could be a really good deal for someone though, but you would still need to get the hub and all of the other parts that 3d did to get it to fit.  Just a public service announcement :beer:

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/19/2016 at 11:24 PM, VFRpwr said:

Rear Wheel Weight(s)

credit to: www.hondacb1000r.com - except for 8th Gen 10 spoke - 3dcycle

CB1000R 15 lbs, 10 oz
VFR800 5 spoke (1998-2009) 13 lbs, 4.6 oz
VFR750 8 spoke ('90-'93? something like that) 12 lbs, 11.8 oz

VFR800F 10 spoke (2014-2016) 13lbs 13.5oz
There's another 5 spoke used from '94-'97, but it's 170, not 180 width. Probably lighter, though!

I've got all three wheels and weighed them at my local post office on the same scale.

Haha, I posted that on CB1KR forum. I'm sure I shared it here too, but it's hard to search this forum for some reason.

3dcycle, With your experience putting the 8th Gen parts on a 6G, would it be pretty simple to swap the opposite way? 5/6 Gen complete hub and wheel on 8th Gen swing arm?

• Member Contributer
On 1/12/2015 at 11:27 AM, Veefer800Canuck said:

Nobody bit on my 1200 wheel bolted to the 800 flange post?

They're both 5 bolt.... I wonder if the PCD is the same?

You could probably run a 190/55-17 on the correct sized rim.

I've been wondering this as well. For instance; if one had a ToroCharger 6th Gen and wanted more rubber on the ground with a 190 rear...

Surely there are a couple guys that live close enough to swap out wheels for a look?

I've been wondering this as well. For instance; if one had a ToroCharger 6th Gen and wanted more rubber on the ground with a 190 rear...
Surely there are a couple guys that live close enough to swap out wheels for a look?

Gotta be real careful, some 190s rub on the swing arm just forward of the wheel, that is to say the centre band of the Tyre, not the sides. This happened to me on a 6th gen.... and if you're running -1 teeth on the front sprocket, in order to get proper tension on the shorter chain, the eccentric will surely be wound up bringing the rear hub forward so much the tyre surely rubs.

But one can only try and take measurements.

• Member Contributer

not willing to buy a wheel to try, if some one local to me wants to stop in once I get my bike back together again I can surely do a test fit for the group.

or if the members of VFRD want you can get a fund raiser going and donate the $$ and I will buy one from ebay

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, KevCarver said:

Haha, I posted that on CB1KR forum. I'm sure I shared it here too, but it's hard to search this forum for some reason.

3dcycle, With your experience putting the 8th Gen parts on a 6G, would it be pretty simple to swap the opposite way? 5/6 Gen complete hub and wheel on 8th Gen swing arm?

yea I don't see any issues with that at all. I mean I did not have to shim anything. everything lines right up. the biggest concern I would have is the amount of thread left on the axle sticking out of the left side of hub, I think the 8 gen is a little thicker than the 6 gen but I pretty sure there would still be enough to secure nut with.

Archived