Engine Ticking / Taping At Idle

VIFFR

99 5th Gen that has 70,000 kms.

I did the valve clearances at 50k and whilst some are our of spec it wasn't by much.

Today I started it (its about 38c outside). And there was a rhythmic taping. Tap tap tap.

Sounds like it could be a valve issue. I can't hear it over the cam whine/ exhaust note off idle.

Any ideas fellas? Thanks!

More info. It's about 2 traps a second. No performance issues.

I thought it may be injectors needing cleaning.

I'd have guessed valve issue too although I'd hope not seeing as you did them recently enough.

I made sure that when I did them, if the spec was .22 +/- .02 that I set them to .22

Not correct figures, but you get the idea.

Before I adjusted them the was no issue with noise. I had the bike apart so I thought I'd do them.

Maybe try clean the injectors and balance the throttle bodies?

I'll do that thanks. I noticed when I started the bike after lunch (bike was at 68c) the ticking had gone. I'll put some injector cleaner in the tank and give it an Italian tune up this weekend. I'll do the throttle bodies next weekend when I'm home. Thanks :)

The temperature difference wood alert me to valves again. This is a strange one.

Try cleaning and balancing the throttle bodies anyway, I think they're meant to be synced up after valve jobs anyway (at least on carbs...tie supposed to balance the carbs after doing valves). Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

Well the noise has stopped. I've run it 3 times since then and there has been no nosie at all. Spoke to a mechanic who said it could be an injector.

It's coming apart for a major service in the next few weeks so I'll see what I can get done in a weekend and go from there.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Archived