1999 Vfr800 Resurrection

SCguy

I hate to say it but the off throttle head shake was common even on new bikes in the 98-2001 era, it was minor and totally controllable. Usually it was about 30 mph or below and off throttle. It was especially noticeable when the rider took their hands off the bars. The tapered head bearings did a good job to eliminate the issue.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I hate to say it but the off throttle head shake was common even on new bikes in the 98-2001 era, it was minor and totally controllable. Usually it was about 30 mph or below and off throttle. It was especially noticeable when the rider took their hands off the bars. The tapered head bearings did a good job to eliminate the issue.

The crazy thing is that I had the bike and rode it over 2k miles and it did not do it at all, but then started all of a sudden. It's back good now with the tapered bearings.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Time to resurrect this thread.

The bike has been great, no problems except my Motobatt battery failed.

The main reason I'm updating this is to show off my new score, a full Erion exhaust system.

The end can has been down, so I plan on cutting the can down to get rid of the damage. How loud it will be is anybody's clue. There's not many videos or sound clips of Erion systems out there.

IMAG1000_zps44hz8elf.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't know the measurement, but it is quite long. I still have the one that came with my Erion system (now replaced by Laser underseats). It, too, had been rashed like his (perhaps not quite as much). Shortening the end can by a couple of inches would be an elegant solution.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The can is just over 20" which is ridiculously long. I might shorten the other end which has a few dings, and bring it down to ~15".

• Member Contributer

I shortened the FMF apex cans I bought for my 6th by 4", sounded no louder. I think you have plenty of room to work here, your good.

Archived