1999 Vfr800 Resurrection

SCguy

• Member Contributer

I come home to a box. My injectors!

Here are the cleaning results. Looks like I had better test my injector signal. Three should have been spraying, not just one.

IMAG0082_1_zpsejn0yjnq.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Coolant filled and bled. One holdup, I managed to break the fuel pump strainer. It's not available separate from the fuel pump at a cringe inducing price of $270. I see some aftermarket pumps on eBay. I might buy one and see if the strainer fits the OE pump. Anybody tried one?

• Member Contributer

Hallelujah! I made a strainer work!

Removing the fuel pump to coat the tank, I broke the fuel pump strainer, which is only available from Honda as a pump subassembly at $270. My other options were to find a replacement strainer that fit or to buy an aftermarket, no name pump and hope it fit and would be reliable.

I found an automotive strainer that fits the pump. It's intended application is the 1995 Honda Accord F22B2, it's larger and at a slightly different angle, but it fits. At $19, it's less of a sting to the wallet.

Strainer comparison:

IMAG0089_zps0vuo7my3.jpg

It fit into the tank with a little persuasion and it's running fine again.

• Member Contributer

Hallelujah! I made a strainer work!

Removing the fuel pump to coat the tank, I broke the fuel pump strainer, which is only available from Honda as a pump subassembly at $270. My other options were to find a replacement strainer that fit or to buy an aftermarket, no name pump and hope it fit and would be reliable.

I found an automotive strainer that fits the pump. It's intended application is the 1995 Honda Accord F22B2, it's larger and at a slightly different angle, but it fits. At $19, it's less of a sting to the wallet.

Strainer comparison:

IMAG0089_zps0vuo7my3.jpg

It fit into the tank with a little persuasion and it's running fine again.

Great ingenuity on that. I really love that kind of solution to a problem. Nice work!

• Member Contributer

Went on the first ride today. Bike performed flawlessly, Ended up just under 110 miles. Rode down to the river with my cousin.

IMAG0117_1_1_zpsb9mkgdhl.jpg

IMAG0135_1_zps4jpswdar.jpg

IMAG0149_1_zpsfwpkghyn.jpg

RD

• Member Contributer

Well, I can pronounce the bike officially broke in. Even though my friend had it the majority of last week cleaning it, I've put a bit over 500 miles on with zero issues. Now to address the electrical system.

• Member Contributer

Few new things: I've ordered Tech Spec tank knee grips, 00-01 Emgo mirrors, and an OE Honda ST1300 tank pad. I'm starting too put parts together to do the FH020AA RR swap.

• Member Contributer

I just got the wheel in from Germany. I'll be sending it and the front wheel our to be powdercoated once I decide on a color. Dutchy, somebody did a terrible job of painting the lip black, and the paint is bubbled a bit.

• Member Contributer

Before I get the wheels powdercoated, I need to decide on what color I'm painting this bike.

I'm somewhat flexible but I keep coming back to 3 colors, white, grey and blue.

Disclaimer: these photos are not mine, I came across them on Google, so I can't name a source.

Blue - my favorite color in general. My first thought when repainting.

20110723-2244112-2001-Honda-VFR800_zpsya. Factory blue

tapatalk_1422813131575_zpsqqbyrsk8.jpeg. I really like this darker blue. Makes the bike look very modern. Would go with silver wheels, though.

Grey

FB_IMG_1423253289369_zpsw993baxv.jpg

Probably my favorite at the moment.

I thought about going with a pearl grey, like this Lexus:

10-10-07-pearl-grey-lexus-lfa-front_zpsx

Silver/white

001_zpsluo55jbj.jpg

I've always loved pearl white

I found this color made by House of Kolor that has just grabbed my eyes and hasn't let go.

HOK-PBC49-QT_zpsn6ll9bki.jpg

It's called Silverwhite Pearl.

I know, ultimately it's my choice, but what do y'all think?

Archived