1999 Vfr800 Resurrection

SCguy

• Member Contributer

New guy here! My name is Ryan and I am the proud new owner of a 99 VFR800. I currently own two 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S's and love them, but wanted something a bit different. Ask Marriedman, I've been interested in VFRs for a little while now.

I wasn't seriously searching when I came across the Craigslist ad. The price caught my eye, $1600. I figured at that price, it had to have been laid down, or crazy high miles, or a combination of both. Called the number, talked with the guy, he said that he took it in on a group buy from an elderly man with some flat tracker bikes he wanted. His son (16) wanted the bike, and he didn't want his son on "no dad-blamed crotch rocket."

A friend and I drove up to Tennessee from my place in South Carolina. The bike was solid, bone stock, 13,000 miles, but with less than 2,000 miles in the last 11 years. Fairings were all original with no cracks or scratches, just faded Florida paint. Tires are 13 years old and hard as a rock. Battery was dead, and I couldn't hear it run. Somehow, the ignition key didn't match the fuel filler cap, and the fuel cap key had been lost. The seller knocked $100 off because of this, so I drove away with the VFR for $1500.

A nice view on the way home:

IMG_20141220_115108_zpsbiwfycbm.jpg

And unloaded:

IMG_20141220_223121_zps4wu1re6x.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off: Diagnose the no start.

Drilled fuel cap lock cylinder, poured in gas.

Fuel pump runs, still no start

Compression check was good.

Had strong spark.

42 psi fuel pressure

20141222_193529_zpsp46qbjsj.jpg

Houston, we have injector pulse.

There's only about one thing left: gummed up fuel injectors.

2014-12-22_21.06.46_zpsq6n6loyt.jpg

Yep, there's the problem! Let's look in the tank...

20141222_215033_zpsttd4fe7d.jpg

Yep, just what I thought.

Remove rust from tank - added to the To Do list.

Here's where I'm at now:

Needs:

Battery (ordering Motobatt)

Chain and sprockets (ordering DID Xring and JT sprockets)

Oil Change

Clutch and Brake fluid flushed

Coolant change

Ordered:

Tires - Michelin Pilot Road 3's

Deals:

Yoshimura RS3 stainless slip on

Givi top rack

Givi E35 top box

^ Package Deal - $335 shipped

OE seat cowl in 9/10 shape - $25 shipped

Done:

Installed TPO Parts PAIR delete kit

New NGK spark plugs

Cleaned fuel injector inlet screens

Most importantly, she needed a name. Gentlemen, I introduce to you, Vanessa.

I've got a decent bit of work ahead, but that's the fun part. Can't wait for riding season! Stay tuned for updates...

RD

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Alright! Love to see some 5th gen resurrection going on.

Welcome to the asylum.

Why not go for the PR4's? Price?

Price was a minor factor, and I read a few reviews that the purchaser had tried PR3s and PR4s back to back and liked the PR3s better. I'm just happy to have radial tires as an option!

• Member Contributer

Nice find. I'm glad an interested owner bought it rather than a salvager that would break it up for parts.

I ran a set of PR3's and went back to PR2's. I didn't need the extra siping as I typically do not ride in the rain and the PR3's scalloped and flat spotted more than the PR2's did (before or since). Nothing wrong with the 3's - I just didn't have as good an experience with them as the 2's. Still may try a set of PR4's - not sure yet.

• Member Contributer

Another VFR resurrection...I love it !

Very clean bike. I envy you for the nice clean, undamaged fairings...i still need to repair and paint mine. :wacko:

Good luck with the project... :beer:

Nice find!! Jealous!!

Looks like you've covered everything for a full recovery... except you haven't mentioned the air filter have you checked it out? We have had reports and eye-witnessed cases of mouse nest infestation of the aribox on some long neglected VFRs.

Enjoy!!

• Member Contributer

Jesus!! Another must buy addition to my parts list. Mousetraps!!!!

• Member Contributer

I found evidence of mice in the swingarm and steering head as well.

Not to steer your post off track although I haveconsidered covering the rubber intake port with 1/2" x 1/2" square steel mesh. Has anyone done this or something similar to keep the mice out?

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the find. Best gen and fastest color! And welcome to our asylum. As close as you are, I'd recommend attending the annual TexasMac Memorial Ride in May to fully experience the joy of VFR riding and the fabulous family of VFRD members.

• Member Contributer

If you have time, you might consider replacing the fork oil...11 years is a long time to sit...at least do the bounce test...at some point the rear shock may need a refresh sooner than you think as well.

Oh, change blinker fluid too...

Matt

Knowing scguy personally zup, I am pretty sure this is one of the jobs that was just assumed. But since you brought it up!.. I'd get the stuff from Jamie Daugherty and upgrade the forks while your at it scguy!

• Member Contributer

Alright, scored a K&N air filter, am working derusting the tank, and waiting on parts.

I hate the stock grips. With a little bit of modification, I installed a set of Randakk's Amazing Grips. Not very sporty looking, but excellent tack and great vibration dampening. I love them on my Nighthawk.

20150109_171230_zpsjxbfygy2.jpg

Have you considered replacing the levers? I had ones just like these:

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Folding-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-Honda-VFR800-1998-01-ST1300-ST1300A-03-08-/181494394989?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a41e8b06d&vxp=mtr

I don't know the seller, couldn't tell you if he is the same I used. But I liked them so well on the 5th gen I bought them again for the 6th. As much as I like them, I don't know if they would look right on the 7th gen.

• Member Contributer

I do want to replace the levers, in time.

My roadmap to Viffervana (the bike 100% perfect in my mind) goes as follows...

Mechanical - fluids, get it on the road, be at a solid Stage 0

Ride

Electrical

Ride

Suspension

Ride

Comfort items ( if needed, ie, Helibars, etc)

Ride

Finally, Aesthetics.

• Member Contributer

I found evidence of mice in the swingarm and steering head as well.

Not to steer your post off track although I haveconsidered covering the rubber intake port with 1/2" x 1/2" square steel mesh. Has anyone done this or something similar to keep the mice out?

On my 4th gen I have steel mesh, much finer (probably at least 1/4" by 1/4" if not finer) that I riveted onto the front of the airbox after removing my snorkel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Short update.

New Michelin Pilot Road 3's mounted, balanced and installed.

New Motobatt battery

Fixed front brakes from hanging, brake pads were froze in the clips. Lubricated caliper slides and cleaned brake pad clips.

DID 530VX Gold Chain and JT steel sprockets

20150128_130234_zpsv5ayw9ch.jpg

You can see here that the chain was greatly needed and it may have never been degreased. I've got my work cut out for me.

Discovered the clutch slave cylinder is leaking just a bit, so I'm going to have to rebuild that. Next to tackle besides the tank is to flush the brake/clutch fluid.

RD

Prolly gonna have to change all sorts of rubber seals that will have dried out and lost their rubber properties. The coolant pump may leak shortly after getting it running again... Clutch slave cylinder mayor need revamping and the push rod polishing and lubing... Etc etc but well worth it!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Anther few late nights of working on the ol girl.
2015-02-02_22.20.26_zpslsm0qpei.jpg
A lot of Purple Power and elbow grease went into this before and after shot. Waiting on my chain tool to arrive, but the rear brake received the same treatment as the front, polished pad pin and slide lubing. Throttle body assembly and airbox with K&N filter are installed. Took the opportunity to get rid of the airbox flapper solenoid and associated plumbing.
New, non-locking gas cap to replace the OE style that came without a key.

20150102_180739-1_zpsukphyj9r.jpg
It's a nonlocking quarter turn cap, with a seal, unlike most eBay caps.
The bolts they sent with the cap were far too short to use, even with the seal removed, so I hit up Boltdepot.com and found some 4mm stainless bolts with countersink hex heads. I ordered 5 different lengths, 3 bolts each, for a total of $1.30 or so. I really like the looks of the cap, don't like fumbling with a key in the cap either. It turned out to be 4mmx0.7mmx30mm. The included bolts were less than 20 mm long and didn't even reach the threads in the tank

Still waiting to deal with the rust in the tank, have a POR15 tank sealer kit ordered. I also ordered some HK adjustable shorty levers.

RD

• Member Contributer
I got some work done. :pbjtsmilie: Last week I flushed and bled the brakes front and rear. Between when I got off work Friday evening and last night, I put about 14 hours into working on the VFR. :asleep:

Friday evening was tank evening. I spent from 5:30 to 11:00 using the POR15 kit to prep and line the tank. After 2 hours of the Metal Etch treatment, a good bit of rust remained, so I poured in the gallon of phosphoric acid I had purchased earlier. Result? Rust free.

The liner went in without much hassle, but the cure time is 96 hours, or basically Wednesday.

Saturday, first up was the chain. I was able to free up the link, get the chain riveted, adjust the free play and install the chain guard. Polished the clutch rod, installed freshly rebuilt clutch slave cylinder.

Opened the clutch master cylinder to find this:

IMAG0037_zps2ufriewv.jpg

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Cleaned the master cylinder as well as I could. There's a tiny bit of gunk I couldn't get out, so I might have to deal with that down the road a bit. The Phillips head screws are about stripped in mine (thanks PO). I'm thinking about getting some stainless allen replacement screws, like I did for my gas cap. Got new fluid in the clutch lines now, and got them bled out. K&N air filter cleaned, washed, and drying, ready for oiling. Fresh oil change with Wix oil filter and Mobil 1 4T 10W40 oil. Coolant all drained and replaced with Engine Ice coolant. Rear wheel installed. Yoshi slipon exhaust installed (waiting on new rubber insulator for the muffler clamp).

Most importantly, installed blingin' new gold oil filler cap from ProBolt

IMAG0023_zpstkzo4re9.jpg

All that's left: Oil and install K&N air filter

Refit fuel pump into tank, connect lines, install tank, fill with fuel

Start engine, burp coolant

Install seat and fairings.

DMV Paperwork

RD

Archived