Now I'm Just Overwhelmed With The Options... Gp Style Anyone?

RedRicer

So I posted earlier today that i was about to pull the trigger on the 8" Delkevic cans for my 6th gen. Some members advised me to shop around a bit and in doing so im liking the look of this GP style one a lot (for 2/5 the cost...):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR-800-exhaust-pipe-2002-2009-New-Extremeblaster-XBSS-Fixed-Baffle-/141400586603?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ec21b96b&vxp=mtr

here's the website:

r1r6exhaust.com

does anybody have one of these? is there a downside to such a small can? I like the look but am worried about the empty space left under the tail. does the 6th gen look weird or un-tidy with no underseat exhaust?

opinions on GP style cans in general? is there enough back pressure since the cat is still in place? what are you guys running in a GP style?

• Member Contributer

No experience with a GP style can of this sort personally, but my guess is that being that short it would be pretty loud, even with internal baffling. Try googling the can and see if you can find a video or sound byte with the can installed. I have a low mount 18" Delkevic on my 5 th gen and it sounds nice, but the exact same can on my wife's 96 sounds 5 times better. I have heard some people mention that the shorty Delkevic cans (9" I think) can be fairly loud when installed on the 5th gen (especially when accelerating hard) bikes but they apparently sound nice on the 6th gen as the exhaust leading to the cans is longer than the 5th gens.

I have heard a GP style exhaust on a VFR. Loud doesn't even begin to describe it. You will be pulled over as though you were running open headers. Or your neighbors will call the cops on your for noise level violations. No joke!

There is also the option of modifying your OEM exhaust for better sound if that is what you are after. Several different methods are detailed on this board.

That honestly just looks like Pepboys junk. If you are just trying to get cheap sound, why don't you just gut the stock exhaust? It would sound much better and look much better as well. Plus you wouldn't be spending $200 on something that looks like you just took your middle school allowance on a shopping spree at your local Advance Auto parts store.

Of all the VFR's that I have ever heard, on the internet and in real life (I have had the following set ups on mine stock, gutted stock cans, gutted cans plus motad header, motad header plus two brothers slip on, and now an uber rare Two Brother full system), honestly gutted factory cans always sound the best. But in reality this is all just pissing in the ocean, as the VFR800 will sound great with any exhaust, but why spend $200 to make it look and perform like crap?

• Member Contributer

I bought a shorty off a member here for my 5th gen and it sounds great , however my issue is keeping it in place as the center stand hits the rubber bumper on the can. FYI it doesn't extend back to the passenger peg . I would be looking at that aspect of mounting as of yet ive not found a solution.

• Member Contributer

Did you listen to the sound clip?

i cant!

i am deaf!

and those things gave me a headache!! :huh:

a cop stopped by the shop to let the boss know about a noise complaint.. so we told the custome to get a life and a real pipe and stop pretending to be a "biker boyz" wannabe.

hahaha i appreciate all your opinions! i slept on it and i think back to the Delkecivs I go. I honestly just dont like the look OR sound of the stock exhaust, and with my new power commander I wanted something that would perform better. obviously a shorty is not the answer. I'll stick with the under-seat cans. I ride with others a fair amount and am certainly not trying to get a noise complaint. :P

i cant!

i am deaf!

a cop stopped by the shop to let the boss know about a noise complaint.. so we told the custome to get a life and a real pipe and stop pretending to be a "biker boyz" wannabe.

In your opinion how does the VFR stack up against other sport(ish) bikes? I think the main draw of the vfr (to me at least) is the feel and sound of the vfour engine, but if you take away the vfour sound and are left with just the feel, is it still an amazing bike or do you just feel like its just a great all arounder?

hahaha i appreciate all your opinions! i slept on it and i think back to the Delkecivs I go. I honestly just dont like the look OR sound of the stock exhaust, and with my new power commander I wanted something that would perform better. obviously a shorty is not the answer. I'll stick with the under-seat cans. I ride with others a fair amount and am certainly not trying to get a noise complaint. :P

if you're looking for the best performing exhaust, I would go for the 2 brothers. It is the lightest set up being that it is a single pipe design and is also the lightest as well (especially when you remove the dummy can). Plus with out having to pass through a why pipe and curved S-Pipe it should offer the least restriction for the exhaust gases.

Though this is all trivial as the header is the main performance restraint and it is next to impossible to find an actual performance header for the VFR.

Motad/Delkivic/Sandy's/Ebay/98-99 headers offer minimal gains besides weight reduction over the 2000 and up catted headers. The very limited Two Brothers Racing header and Erion Racing headers are the only real performance headers made for the VFR and are now about 10 years old and impossible to find.....

• Member Contributer

i cant!

i am deaf!

In your opinion how does the VFR stack up against other sport(ish) bikes? I think the main draw of the vfr (to me at least) is the feel and sound of the vfour engine, but if you take away the vfour sound and are left with just the feel, is it still an amazing bike or do you just feel like its just a great all arounder?

want to take a guess?

i have 4 VFRs down from 8 of , and i custom build HDs and sportbikes..

:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

I've got Staintunes on my 6th gen and love 'em. I've got 4 VFRs, all with different pipes, and the Staintunes are my faves by far. Their warranty is great too. Real nice guys to work with...one of the guys who runs the company has a 6th gen.

-1st gen VF500F with full a Vance and Hines system (not slip-on's)

-1st gen VF50F0 with Yosh slip-on's

-4th Gen VFR750F with Two Bros high-mount slip-on

-6th Gen VFR800A with Staintunes

Archived