Tail Section Mounting 5Th Gen

SmokinRZ

Hello, I got the bike a few months back and it came with a Sergent seat and the bolts for the tail faring missing. I also got a small plastic bag from Sergent with some mounting pins and the upper bolts/bungee mounts in the bag. I went to put the bolts in and there are no threads in the tube that is welded across the top of the subframe. I looked at the parts fiche on-line and it looks like the bolts go right in. There are also some spacers in there that I am missing. Can someone tell me what is going on? What re the pins from Sergent for? Does this have something to do with the solo cowl which I am missing?

I went to put the bolts in and there are no threads in the tube that is welded across the top of the subframe.

there should be. The previous owner do something to strip them clean? Sounds like you'll need a helicoil kit I'm afraid. take a better look at those tube ends with a flashlight

• Member Contributer

Are these the push-in quick release pins from Sargent? They sold those to replace the original screw in bolts for the seat cowl. Bad news is to use them you had to drill out the threads of the cross bar. Not a very good design but sounds like that's what a PO did.

Link: http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Fast-Access-Pins/

Designed to replace any 6mm fastener (with a 10mm cap head) where torque is not specified, FAST ACCESS Quick Release Pins install quickly and permanently (drilling required).

• Member Contributer

What Capn said. The pins are designed to be used with the cowl and Sargent 2 piece seat. With the rear portion removed, the cowl makes a large storage space and the pins allow easy tool-less access.

You can use them as you would the regular bolts. By spacers, can I assume you mean the plastic bits that fill the gap where the cowl tabs fit? You can do without, but OCD may force you to get them. There is a rubber filler piece for the rear slot, too.

• Member Contributer

And that is why anyone who owns a motorcycle should regularly read this site. Bravo men! Kinda scary, really

Holes were drilled for the seat? What a terrible design. Some aftermarket luggage racks require those threads if you chose to go that route. A stock seat with an Airhawk pad is more comfortable anyway.

You don't have to drill anything for a Sargent seat.

Only for the quick release pins, if you purchase them separately.

They allow the solo cowl to be taken off without tools.

I have run my Sargent seat for years using the stock frankenbolts. No issues.

I need the threads because my Ventura rack secures there using those threads in the tubes for the frankenbolts.

AC-2015-02-image.jpg

• Member Contributer

If the thread is gone, just go to your local harware type store & buy a couple of feet of M5 threaded rod. get a couple of nyloc nuts for the same & pass it throught the cross tube. cut to length & use the nuts to secure your rack ends. Job done.

Thanks everyone. Mystery solved. I used a flashlight to confirm that I'm threadless. I didn't get the seat cowl so that explains why the pins are in a bag and not on the bike. Is part number 2 the plastic spacer? I hope to find a seat cowl and I'm not sure I trust those pins. I may try to tap some threads in the tube ends and run an oversized cap screw. That would probably look cleaner than the frankenbolt anyway.

I've been using the pins for nearly a decade now with no issues. Lost a frankenbolt before I got the pins. YMMV...

I might give them a try, nothing to lose. I'm still confused on how they stay on. Is it simply the pressure of the little balls recessed in the pin? My bike is over in my brothers garage so I can't have a look at the moment. Also, do you use the plastic spacers?

My GF's 2000 came with the pins and she has been using them without any issue for the past few years. Last year I took some safety wire and clear plastic tubing and made lanyards for them. Since they are so easy to take off..........and not cheap to replace, I didn't want them to come up missing while parked at a hotel over night or something.

• Member Contributer

I'm not as fancy as that guy, so I just used an old ear plugs tether to secure them.

Still not 100% clear on the spacers. If you mean the plastic bits that fill the cowl mounts, then yes.

I guess there's a ridge behind the drilled out threads that the detent balls in the pin grab onto.

I'm not as fancy as that guy, so I just used an old ear plugs tether to secure them.

Still not 100% clear on the spacers. If you mean the plastic bits that fill the cowl mounts, then yes.

I guess there's a ridge behind the drilled out threads that the detent balls in the pin grab onto.

I'm looking at the exploded view link provided by Max Swell and there looks to be spacers that slide in the slot on the top of the tail section above the bolt holes. I could be looking at this wrong but I think I need to order those.

Those look nicer than the Sargent pins. Since mine are drilled out i would probably need 6mm diameter. I will put the calipers on the Sargent pins to see what size they are. Thanks

• Member Contributer

Part #2 is indeed a spacer, and if you leave them out you will crack your tail around the bolt holes. They are designed to take up the slack between the plastic, and the mount when you're not using the seat cowl.

Archived