? About An Nc-30 For Sale

Dave Nichols

• Member Contributer

Hello all:

I would appreciate any input regarding whether an NC-30 that popped up for sale locally is worth the money? I don't know much about these, but think that they may be sought after by some people. It is a 1992, has slid out at a track, and needs a voltage regulator, and no title or keys, at least? Supposedly ran strong up about 10 years ago. The fairing does not look too bad in the pic. Red and Black in color. The guy wants $4300.

I placed the post here because I read that this is the third generation of this model. Mods, feel free to move it where it belongs. I almost posted this in the rc-30 sub forum.

I really am a bit ignorant to this model. Your thoughts and comments are welcome. Rubber side down, Dave

• Member Contributer

AFAIK, they were never official US imports, so may never have been registered for street use. lots of track bikes have their keys bypassed, so you can't forget them (it happens). If the engine is sound, then they are great little bikes for use on track. Your problem is likely to the carbs will require a full strip to clean them, unless the bike was stored correctly, same with the fuel tank. Then you may have issues with spares !

• Member Contributer

I've had NC30s for 15+ years. There are a fair few road-registered NC30s in the USA, but accomplishing that trick is a bit of a legal challenge, so already registered ones carry a big premium. There used to be ways to get grey imports titled, but I don't know if it's still possible. I went through the process over ten years ago, when I thought I might be moving back, but I no longer remember exactly how I did it (plausible deniability!). I think it ended up with a New Hampshire title, but I never followed up to see if my state (CA) would recognise that title and register the bike w/o a 17-digit VIN. (ISTR one of the title companies being shut down by the feds...)

NC30s are very popular in the UK, so parts and accessories are not a huge problem if you don't mind importing. You wouldn't be the only one with an NC30 in the 'States, but there wouldn't be very many others in your neighborhood!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

VFR 400s in good shape to excellent shape usually sell for around $7500 and up. Pics of the bike would help. Getting keys should not be that big of a problem. Getting a title is only a problem if you want to ride it on the street. If you are looking for a fun, exotic and not super expensive track only bike then it could be cool. But for $4300 there are quite a few track bikes that i would consider first.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies, it is sold, I would guess. Curious how much it went for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Bought an Nc 30 today to go with my 5th Gen. Been looking for one for ages as a project etc and for my son as his first "big" bike. Came up really cheap £700 ($1000) just the price i was looking for as i intend spending about a £1000 on it to get it back to somewhere original. Guy i bought it off purchased it for use as a trackbike but not being mechanically minded never bothered to spend time on it. Luckily came with loads of paperwork from his previous owner who meticulously kept records ie

Carbs stripped and cleaned.

Valve clearances done along with the measurements.

S/S brake lines.

Calipers rebuilt.

New battery

Ethos exhaust system? Anybody got info on these?

Loads of receipts

Etc etc

Fairings are a bit scruffy with the left side fairing missing.

Would only fire up on two cylinders as it had been left outside for a few months and not run.Took a chance and bought it. Got it home and after letting it warm up for ten minutes ran on 3 - 4 cylinders. Rode it round my workshop drive area and everything worked ok. Thinking of buying a Chinese fairing kit for now until some genuine ones pop up on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Fairing-fit-HONDA-NC35-RVF400-RED-WHITE-BLUE-/301132679832?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item461ce80a98 Anybody got experience of these?

Going to strip her and clean everything up ,powder coat the wheels etc.

Heres a few photos as is

post-30687-0-39662700-1422995872.jpg

post-30687-0-33724600-1422995877.jpg

post-30687-0-80622400-1422995880.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJKCnKy3lAs

Will put some more detailed ones up soon.

After riding my 5th gen she feels tiny! Cant wait to try her out on a trackday.

• Member Contributer

Awesome and congrats. What a gorgeous bike, timeless lines just like its big bro. That bike is one on the dream list. We never officially got the NC30 or NC35 in the States, so they are of course very rare and sell for stupid prices. I have seen NC35s in good shape sell for $11,000 USD plus.

• Member Contributer

Tyga has NC30 body parts and kits available...

http://tyga-performance.com/site/index.php?cPath=72_1036_83&osCsid=96c91889c1cf150cd54d36e9d79e3479

If you decide to buy from them let them know you heard about it through VFRD... we have a potential group buy/project working with them and I want them to realize we have a diverse fan base...

Archived