Track Day Sprocket Sizes.

adeyren

• Member Contributer

What would be the ideal combination of front and rear sprockets purely for trackdays? Got a few trackdays planned this year and want more oomph out of corners. Not bothered about top end speed just more midrange. Will be using them only for t/days and putting standards back on for the road.

• Member Contributer

Good point, should have stated that. Tracks will be Cadwell, Oulton, Anglesey, Pembrey, Donington maybe Silverstone. So up to 3.6 miles. All British tracks

• Member Contributer

I will be guided by your recommendations. Did my first track day this year at Oulton, best thing have ever done. So am a total newcomer to trackdays.Silverstone will be a "maybe" but definitely Oulton, Cadwell and Anglesey. Will be doing Cadwell March 7th,novice class obviously. Do you do many?

• Member Contributer

If you get 3 sprockets (2 front 1 rear or 1 front 2 rear) you'll have 6 different ratios to choose from. I think you're going to want a selection based on what track, track conditions, skill level, etc.

• Member Contributer

Thanks mk2davis, hope to be guided by some of our more experienced UK guys here. Your idea sounds good though never thought of that.

Dutchinterceptor... you need this: http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I think you will need a longer chain 110 is standard so 112 maybe, they go up 2 by 2... always even numbers.

Adeyren... getting a -1 front sprocket is cheap and you don't need a shorter chain... it's a good start and you will notice the extra acceleration off the mark. Try that as a first general change, then if you want more you can go + on the rear sprocket and that will recover some top speed for you as well as getting more oomph. IIRC!!

Of course the speedo will then be off somewhat... I have -1 up front and my speedo indicates some 7-9 km/h more than my real speed at around 80 km/h if I'm not mistaken.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Auspanglish got that. Will try a -1 front first see how it goes. I don't want to go to mad yet just want to get more track experience first.

No worries!!

Just Remember, with a Smaller Sprocket up Front you are Essentially creating greater angular Velocity for the Same Twist of the wrist than you would have beforehand, and that Means it is Potentially easier to break Traction Under Acceleration than it was beforehand.. Don't Want to go Whiplashing the rear on exiting tight corners and giving it too much too soon too far Leaned over... ask me how I Know... despite the porkiness of the VFR !!

Archived