What Part Numbers To Replace Second Gear Transmission Parts?

thefleshrocket

I have a '98 that skips a tooth in second gear. It's presumably either worn second gear engagement dogs or a worn/bent shift fork. Here's my original thread on it from a couple years ago: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/69064-slip-then-grip-under-load-second-gear/

The bike has been sitting in my basement, partially disassembled, because I haven't been able to find the time and motivation to get the job done. I'd originally planned on removing the transmission, inspecting it, and then ordering the parts I need. But that's too easy to put off. Once I've spent a couple hundred bucks and have the parts in hand, maybe that'll get me going to get it done.

The questions is, what part numbers do I need? I'm going to get all three shift forks. Presumably I just might need the one that affects first and second gear, but I'm going to get all of them, just in case. (I would much rather replace good parts than potentially reassemble the bike with bad parts.)

24211-MBG-000 - $34.87

24212-MBG-000 - $34.87

24213-MBG-000 - $34.87

http://www.ronayers.com/GEARSHIFT-DRUM-C116559.aspx

I never could wrap my head around how all of the gears mesh together in a sequential transmission, so when I look at the parts fiche, I'm stumped. Which two of these gears mesh for second gear to be engaged?

http://www.ronayers.com/TRANSMISSION-C116594.aspx

Any other parts I'm likely to need to fix the problem?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I've never split the cases on a VFR engine, much less fiddled with transmission bits. Are you using the Haynes manual, or the Honda one? I'd expect the former to have step=by-step photos, but haven't looked at that section myself.

Before you start ordering special-order parts, you might want to keep your eye on used engines, as I think most people would probably sooner swap the engine than split the cases at all. Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Without disassembling the engine you can only guess what's causing 2nd to skip. While not a difficult job if you know how to follow instructions you will need a lot more than just the gears, and basic hand tools to do the job right.

I've done the transmission two or three times on an '01 GSXR600 fixing a similar issue. Literally all I needed was some Hondabond gasket maker and the trans parts I was replacing. The VFR is a lot more of a pain in the ass to drop the motor but I don't suspect it will be much more difficult once I've got the engine sitting upside down with the oil pan removed.

I'm looking at a couple hundred bucks in parts to fix an engine that was otherwise running perfectly. A used motor would surly be more than $200, and there would be no guarantee that it would be problem-free. Fixing my existing motor is definitely the better option.

Given that the problem is basically guaranteed to either be the 1-2 shift fork and/or the 1-2 gear engagement dogs, I am completely confident that replacing all of those parts will fix it. Might as well have them here in advance so I don't have to put the project on hold for a week once I get rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without disassembling the engine you can only guess what's causing 2nd to skip. While not a difficult job if you know how to follow instructions you will need a lot more than just the gears, and basic hand tools to do the job right.

What do you think I'll need besides regular hand tools and the trans parts? I didn't need anything out of the ordinary on the GSXR job--what would be so different about the VFR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Well for starters one of the gasket kits that seems to be on perpetual back order at most parts houses. That's what kept my 5th gen sitting for several months this past summer.

• Member Contributer

The months-long backorders never make any sense to me. If Honda has it, it seems like they should be able to ship it in a timely way. Sometimes I think they must be making parts when ordered - otherwise I'd have to think they're just torturing their customers. :ph34r:

Archived