Question For You Cali People

Spiff

With the proposition of me maybe having an option to move back to the west coast, I was curious what exactly the laws were regarding aftermarket exhausts in California. I know there are a few people on here that live there and was curious if someone could shed some light on it, thanks in advance.

I left SoCal 2 years ago and never had an issue with my aftermarket Staintunes. That said, after I left there was a nasty motorcycle on bicycle accident (on YouTube) on Mulholland (outside LA) that prompted motorcycle only checkpoints all over the area. From that they were issuing citations for any non-authorized modifications (lights, exhaust, etc). I know there was a large uproar from AMA and others saying these checkpoints were not constitutional since they targeted a specific vehicle type. Not sure where that went in the last year or so.

Citations are the correctable type so mostly a hassle dealing with the stop, then putting stock parts back on and re-inspect. If I were to move back to Cali I would keep my mods on the bike and just take the chance. I have all the stock parts so relatively easy to go back if needed.

I'm sure some current Cali riders will chime in in the morning.

Guest Recalcitrance

There are a few after market exhausts which are illegal in California, but the chances of someone pulling you over based on that are slim to none.

The chances of you getting a ticket for a modification AFTER you've been pulled over for something else depends on what you were pulled over for and the mood and bias as of the officer.

Loud and obnoxious exhausts just attract more unwanted attention since there are too many morons on motorcycles here which causes LEO to target us. As much as it sucks, it's understandable.

Do your research in terms of the exhaust systems you have or are planning to get and use common sense.

• Member Contributer

If your really concerned about it, you can have your exhaust measured. CA law varies depending on year of vehicle. I think it's in the low 90's measured from x amount of feet away. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If a LEO does pull you over for that, I'm sure a HD rider will pass exhibiting what a loud exhaust REALLY sounds like.

I keep reading conflicting information about it and I was concerned I would have to change everything around, I have a two brothers exhaust and PC5, soon to be rapid bike module, on my 2005. Some friends that live out there were telling me I will probably have to change everything back to stock but they were not sure. Are there emissions tests out there every year?

Guest Recalcitrance

Which 2 brothers do you have?

Oh, and welcome (possibly) to California! Whereabouts will you be?

No smog for bikes. There was talk of that three years ago which is why the stupid ugly giant exhausts started showing up. So far, nothing mandated for smog checks.

I have the dual vale system, it break it down and routes it through the right side. It's kind of up in the air right now, there is an opening in Ukiah, I know next to nothing about the areas in Cali, so I am kind of waiting to see what else opens up.

Many people have aftermarket exhausts around here. Generally the cops do not care, but they make exceptions.

I believe most aftermarket exhausts are illegal under federal law you are not supposed to tamper with or modify them.

I keep the stock cans for my bikes, just in case. But if they write you up, it's a fix it ticket, not a huge deal. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

Which 2 brothers do you have?

Oh, and welcome (possibly) to California! Whereabouts will you be?

No smog for bikes. There was talk of that three years ago which is why the stupid ugly giant exhausts started showing up. So far, nothing mandated for smog checks.

Emissions testing and inspection is my darkest fear for our sport. The bikes with mods such as O2 elims, Pair valves removed and aftermarket exhausts would be in a bad way. If it were to happen though, it might only be on units manufactured or delivered after the date legislation was enacted, grandfathering in older bikes. So far so good. Fingers crossed.

• Member Contributer

I have the same exhaust and the PCV on my 09 and so far have had no issues with the law or any smog checks required. As long as your not riding like an idiot and making a target of yourself, I doubt any LEO would hassle you just over the exhaust. As mentioned earlier, there are way louder HD's out there and if their not getting stopped, why would you?

Here's the deal: if you bought a 2013 model year bike new, you cannot swap out the OEM exhaust. In fact, all aftermarket exhaust companies (my neighbor works for Two Bros in mgmt.) cannot even sell replacement parts to you over the counter in CA or ship to a CA address. ( I have asked him to bring home various parts etc for my Two Bros can, and he cannot and will not.) He suggested I have something shipped to Vegas and pick it up next time I am there, or buy it in Vegas. And I know this guy and have for a dozen years. He says if I crashed a bike and destroyed a modified exhaust in the process, the ONLY way I could get it back on the road is with the OEM exhaust on it. Basically, the old law of aftermarket exhausts being "for racing only" is THE LAW, but it's rarely, if ever, enforced.

If you have an older bike than a 2013 model, you're in luck! You only have to worry about getting stopped for something else and being an ass on the spot, really, to get a ticket. I've read of cops at large, publicly-seen events getting out the decibel device and making a show of it, but its beatable in court. How far was it held from the pipe? Angle? Other nearby noise? Bike at idle? What RPMs?

Not sure where you are now, but if it is in any way possible, keep your out of state license, insurance, and plate, and drive whatever the hell you want at any stage of modification level you so choose. Works for me.

• Member Contributer

I may need to wear armor to protect me from negative feedback but I'm a tree hugger and very aware of the long-range implications of climate change. I think it is bad for the world-in-general to defeat polution controll equipment on vehicles. Think of the world our decendents will inherit due to our thoughtless I'm To Cool For School attitudes. Esp. California. Y'all do know about smog, right?

Plus my hearing has been destroyed by noise so that every loud sound hurts my ears and my favorite words are: "What'd you say?".

I have a fifth gen with a stock muffler. When I'm cruising at 5500+ rpm traffic behind me on the highway falls behind me until it is nearly out of sight. It was even worse before I removed the Staintune my last bike came with. With that installed, traffic was completely out of sight at 6000 rpm (approx. 80 mph indicated). And my gas mileage was about 10% worse.

Have Leos on my bike with the db killers in, not one issue in 4 years, bike shops out here will NOT install any after market items, exhaust and even replacement air filters such as K&N. Dont worry about it, you'll be fine,

compared to allll the asshats with straight pipes (hardley's)

Haven't heard too many VFR exhausts that come anywhere close to HD. There is one bike that comes into our neighborhood, that sets off car alarms when he starts it! Mufflers, what mufflers?

Mine too, feel like knockin on his door and asking, why in the hell do you have to rev it while doing 10mph...usually baby boomers with there flabby arms wearing tank tops, and of course there new tats...cracks me up

Archived