Seat Upgrade Options

adamv

Question

Hi,

I'm just looking at the various options that are available for me to improve my comfort level whilst riding. I've read a fair bit on the forums and am just trying to get my head around what might be best for my situation.

I'm not so much looking for advise with "I went this way and are happy" because I know that everyone's mileage can vary (I've already read plenty of reviews like that) :wink: - but more so are interested in comments on the pro's and con's for each option over another, and/or if there is any other points to consider that I haven't.

I enjoy a spirited ride in the twisties, but would like to have comfort on long rides in between. From what I have gathered so far I have the following options below. I just wanted to air it out here to get some feedback as to whether my understanding is correct, if there's something I've overlooked or other attributes I should be considering.

I'm 6"1 and 230lbs. I do have a minor injury in my lower back that can give back pain (and sciatic issues) after a while. It's quite minor and I have put up with it so far - but I'm also aware I'm not getting any younger...

Replacement Seat (Sargent or Corbin):

I've read mixed reviews on these. It appears as though it all depends on your butt's shape, height and weight. There appears to be no option but to try out and hope for the best unless you're lucky to have someone with the same ride and seat near by that you can try first (which I don't). They are a more expensive of the options that appear available as well. I see I have options of return but being in Australia the shipping here and back is going to be expensive anyway - so it's a costly way to 'try' if I don't like.

Pros:

Full replacement seat (Can revert if unhappy)

Aesthetically Pleasing (Looks good)

Can recover some of the price if I am not happy. (Sell on or return)

Can recover some of the price if I am happy. (Sell OEM seat, or keep as a spare?)

Permanent solution. (Not an add-on)

Low Maintenance

Extra Storage (Sargent Seat has a section I believe)

Con's:

Unknown as to how well it will work for me. (Individuals Milage will vary)

One of the more expensive option

Custom Seat / Reupholster:

I could look at taking my seat to a local upholster to get foam changed / re-padded. The problem with this that I see is that the change is permanent. If they do a bad job, and make things worse, I have no 'back out' plan. (ie, with Sargent or Corbin I still have my original, and can try and sell). I'm also not sure just how much difference it may make, and I have no option to recover costs if it doesn't make much of a difference. Could get quite expensive too from what I've read.

Pros:

Custom solution to suit me.

Aesthetically Pleasing (Looks good)

Permanent solution. (Not an add-on)

Low Maintenance

Con's:

Can not recover any of the price if it doesn't work / stuck with changes without buying a new seat.

No idea on how much change I can expect. Mileage may vary depending on skills of upholsterer.

Downtime: Can not ride whilst the seat is being customised.

Potentially the most expensive option.

Airhawk Cover:

This looked promising with the reviews. It's certainly cheaper, and is 'revertable' if it doesn't make a difference or to the way I like. However it appears as though from the reviews that it's mainly designed for commuting / highway roads, and does not fair well in the twisties or sporty riding which I like to enjoy, so I'd be putting it on / taking it off / putting it back on again.

Pros:

Most cost effective option

Good for Touring

Reports that it aids in airflow / cooling in warmer climates.

Appears to be a more uniform distribution of entire weight. (Less 'hot' patches).

Con's:

Doesn't look as nice as a dedicated seat.

Reports that they don't handle well in the twisties? (May need to take on / take off)?

Sheep Skin:

This is what I have found the least amount of information on. It seems as though it may increase the comfort level considerably, but I haven't read reports about sport style riding (in the twisties). I'm also not sure about what happens in rain, etc - how it fairs, or whether it will require washing, will smell, etc? Lastly, I'm not sure what difference there is in comfort level between this and something like a Sargent's seat. (Which is more comfortable)

Pros:

Reports as being Comfortable

Have the option to use, or not use depending on the situation.

Con's:

Maintenance? (Cleaning, etc)?

Need to try and keep out of rain?

I'm probably going to cop digs from some of my younger fellow riders about being an old fart. ;)

At this stage I'm really in no-mans land. All 4 are still options for me - just trying to figure out which way is best, because I don't really have the spare cash to try one and then try another if it doesn't work. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards trying out the Airhawk and just put up with taking it off and putting it back on depending on my riding style of the day or leg, but am concerned it's just going to end up being a PITA. (No pun intended :) )

10 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Your analysis is fairly thorough, so I'm not sure what help we can give you. I do have a few questions. How many miles do you want to cover in a day? How long to do you expect to commit to this VFR? What are you willing to spend to get to your solution? If you can answer these 3 questions, you can probably pick out your option for what you have listed above.

if you decide your bias is really more on the touring side, you might go with a full custom seat from a number of different sources. Laam, Russell, Rick Mayer, Rocky Mayer, and Baldwin are just some of the possiblities.

You can pick up a stock seat on ebay just about anytime for a decent price. I'd get yours modified & have a stocker for backup. I saw one sell for $25 this year.

Thanks for your replies. I was checking ebay for a stock 2nd hand seat - $150 was what a seat was going for here from a wrecker in Aus (not including shipping).

I'm thinking there might be a lot more available cheaper internationally that don't list as posting to Australia because I haven't come across anything cheaper on ebay (with shipping to Oz). I've come across seat covers for ~$25 but not the actual seat.

Africord - good questions. I'm not one of the guys who will want to do 400+ miles per day for days straight. Normally I end up doing 200mi at the most for more single days out. I am hoping to do a few tours which is what has me thinking. Even with those the locations will be targeted to be alpine areas / coastal / areas with lots of twisties, and once again I will probably do 200mi - 300mi per day once there.

However because of where I live I may have to do up to 500mi per day commuting there and back - highway kms which is in large why I'm looking at my options.

My but and back can handle the 200-300mi one day weekend warrior trips. What I'm unsure of at the moment is how my butt and back will handle commuting 500mi+ in one day, followed by a week of 200mi-300mi having never done it before.

As for my bike - I have no idea how long I'll have it. This is my first (road bike). I see no reason to change or upgrade unless I drop it or something else unforeseen occurs.

As for spending - that's flexible in part. I'm happy to spend up to as much as a Sargent seat but don't want to if it's not required - or if it's not going to give me the benefit I'm really looking for. The cash that I spend (or save) on this will go into luggage for the bike (or vise versa). I prefer to buy right and buy once, but I also prefer not to spend money that's not required that I can put to better use.

I'm sure Laam, Russell, Rick Mayer, Rocky Mayer, and Baldwin all do great custom seats. Once again the problem is me living in a different continent. I can't just drop in, and international shipping back and forth is going to raise the price considerably (especially if it needs tweaking / modifications), so in the end it seems to me as though buying from them would probably be similar to buying a Sargent's seat - it's all done remotely?

Some times I have a weakness to over-think and over-complicate things when the answer is pretty simple and staring me in the eyes but I can't see it for all the details, hence why I thought I'd summarize and ask here. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Imho, going with a Sargent would give you the best overall odds of happiness. Their customer support is excellent, if you wanted to return they stand by the product. I haven't had to ask, but with the challenges I had buying the Corbin, I'm thinking the ease of returning in comparison would definitely sway me to Sargent. I found the Sargent on my 5th gen was excellent. Approximately same weight and height. :-) The Sargent also will have some resale, whereas a custom setup may not. (If you don't like it)

Dave.

You can pick up a stock seat on ebay just about anytime for a decent price. I'd get yours modified & have a stocker for backup. I saw one sell for $25 this year.

+1. This is what I did. Bike had a Corbin on it when I bought it. I didn't like it. Scooped up a stock seat for a few bucks and sent it to Russell for a custom job. Got it back, sold my Corbin for about half what the Russell cost me. Best part was being able to ride the whole time since I always had a seat.

For me the Corbin was almost as bad as stock. Not a knock on Corbin, just not made for my ass. The Russell is probably the best money I have spent on the bike. I have done 600 mile days and never thought about my ass once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I would lean towards a custom reshape and recover, but only if you can find someone good on the same continent. Otherwise, you need to fine someone with the same bike that has a different or modified seat that you can sit on. There are just too many variables that determine what seat will work best for your tailend. (Which is exactly why I recommend a custom reshape and recover.) To help with the cost, shop for a damaged replacement seat and have that one worked on.

• Member Contributer

^^^ I agree. Well said. I view perceptions of seat comfort similar to that of shoes or a helmet. You won't know how it feels to you until you try it.

• Member Contributer

I have had a Corbin seat on each of my 2 bikes (Ninja 500 and VFR) and have loved them both!

The advice I followed - buy used, at a price you can resell for. Wait for that price. That way, if you are happy with the product, you got a great deal! If not, you can sell and recover your cost. Both times I got my Corbin for less than half of new price - which I could resell for (if I wanted) within shooting distance of what I paid. Win/win.

Archived