Saved An Oil Pan

SEBSPEED

if you've ever dropped a drain bolt in your oil pan

That's my normal mode of operation 30% of the time.

I don't think I would ever feel comfortable knowing a flick of a lever could dump all my oil... but I also treat my VFR like a dual-sport machine. I could imagine gravel knocking the lever back out of its safety catch, etc., etc., etc. Not likely, for sure.... but I'd never have the confidence I have with a safety-wired hex plug. Just not for me, I guess.

• Member Contributer

Note to Seb: Not trying to hijack this thread but with your fabrication skills, you ought to consider coming up with a new headlight for the VFR1200F. It's the one part of the bike a lot of people just can't get past. Maybe you can have somebody send you their headlight so you can make a mold out of it. Once you've got something to work with, you can come up with a custom headlight design. You can even get ideas/input from members on various worldwide (e.g. British, German, etc.) VFR forums.

Ah oh found it cheaper:PAN, OIL

11210-MBG-010 $89.83

It's a great idea Seb but we all can't weld .

Repeat .

I'm not trying to get into the oil pan repair business!! I had a spare pan, I fixed it, I'm sharing the process. This post has NOTHING to do with finding the cheapest way to replace an oil pan!

So what's your point David?!?

if you've ever dropped a drain bolt in your oil pan

That's my normal mode of operation 30% of the time.

I don't think I would ever feel comfortable knowing a flick of a lever could dump all my oil... but I also treat my VFR like a dual-sport machine. I could imagine gravel knocking the lever back out of its safety catch, etc., etc., etc. Not likely, for sure.... but I'd never have the confidence I have with a safety-wired hex plug. Just not for me, I guess.

The way I have the plug positioned, you would have to move the bike backwards, and simultaneously tip it to the right while the lever was caught on something. It would be pretty easy to safety wire the lever too. Also, it doesn't just flick out of the way, you have to apply decent pressure to the lever. It's really just a brass ball valve. The spring you see holds the lever, it does not assist in opening the valve. I think if you got your hands on one, you might like it.

• Like 1

If you really have to have a secondary lock on it, a worm clamp works perfect. I've never had one on my truck in 12 years, but did put one on the bike. Not really sure why since I've never had an issue.