Saved An Oil Pan

SEBSPEED

I was cleaning up in my garage during a recent construction project, and found an oil pan that Veefermadness sent me a while ago. The oil drain had been stripped, and "repaired" by someone local to him. Unfortunately, the repair didn't go as planned. The pan was drilled and tapped for a larger bolt, but it was not done properly and the bolt seated at an angle to the pan, causing it to leak.

So we have this as our starting point:

20141220_115845-1_zps3pfsdaa3.jpg

From there, I drilled out the (already oversize) hole, and counterbored it.

20141220_120515-1_zpswdie8m8s.jpg

20141220_121334-1_zpspfusrak8.jpg

Then I turned up a plug on the lathe, which I drilled and tapped to fit a Fumoto F109 valve.

20141220_124551-1_zpsfxhs8ryh.jpg

Here are the 3 parts which will become my quick-drain oil pan assembly...

20141220_131522-1_zps6scyopan.jpg

Test fit shows a bit of porting will be needed:

20141220_131840-1_zpsxtmc70by.jpg

But first we have to weld the plug in, to seal it.

I burned down the little flange next to the drain a bit, to allow the valve to clear it during installation.

20141220_142035_zps3hjspxzs.jpg

Then I milled it to create a nice flat area for the Fumoto valve to seal against:

20141220_142538-1_zpsgzsqkvw3.jpg

Now I can recreate the factory drain channel...

20141220_143634_zpsgbgc2trc.jpg

And, done.

20141220_143704_zpscpij2ao1.jpg

Hope you find this entertaining. It's entertained me for about an hour and a half so far.

Now I just have to find time to install it... :comp13:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

"Hope you find this entertaining. It's entertained me for about an hour and a half so far."

I enjoyed it (maybe not for an hour and a half though). It's always interesting to see how people fabricate things. It would be great to have some machine tools to do this kind of work.

I like the repair, it was done correctly and is as strong, if not stronger, than OEM.

I'm interested in why you chose the Fumoto valve as opposed to a hex bolt? I don't like how low the valve hangs (I do realize the exhaust is lower), and I'm not sure about the lever actuation. I've never had one in my hand, though.

I like the repair, it was done correctly and is as strong, if not stronger, than OEM.

I'm interested in why you chose the Fumoto valve as opposed to a hex bolt? I don't like how low the valve hangs (I do realize the exhaust is lower), and I'm not sure about the lever actuation. I've never had one in my hand, though.

I probably could have recessed the valve a bit more, since I was chopping and welding anyway. I didn't think of that at the time, I just kind of threw this together once I found the pan.

I saw others here use the valve, and have heard how much some coworkers like using them on their cars. It made me want to try one.

I like the idea that it might save me some time, and if you've ever dropped a drain bolt in your oil pan (my screen flipped over), you'll want to avoid having that happen again.

The drain hole is now smaller though, so it may take longer to drain and not save any time at all...

The valve is really pretty small, I can take some measurements if you like.

Not all of us can TIG weld.

Or are you offering free welding ?

:wacko:

Oh yeah it's at least $50 here for a average TIG welder to do a small jobs. Don't ask how i know .

Would you prefer that I not post this type of stuff?

I'm not offering a service here, free or otherwise, I'm just sharing what I did with 1.5 hours of my Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm. So we have a Clutch Window mod perfected by Seb, now perhaps a quick drain drain oil pan mod.................

Geez Seb, if you keep this up you may never need to look for work again, It just might show up at the door. LOL. I took a look at your webpage a few days ago, and wow, some pretty impressive looking work.

Is there anything in Harbor Freight you don't have but still could use in your shop, Seb? :goofy:

You are the man with the good tolls, and know how to use them.

It's not something I ever plan to do, but interesting to read. :beer:

The drain hole is now smaller though, so it may take longer to drain and not save any time at all...

I am one of the Fumoto users. I have them on my truck, GF's car, and both VFR's in the garage. While they may drain a little slower, I normally just make sure the bike is warm and open the valve into a drain pan, THEN pull the fairing, oil filter, etc. while it drains. By the time I am done, the oil is just about done too.

• Like 1

Hmmmm. So we have a Clutch Window mod perfected by Seb, now perhaps a quick drain drain oil pan mod.................

Geez Seb, if you keep this up you may never need to look for work again, It just might show up at the door. LOL. I took a look at your webpage a few days ago, and wow, some pretty impressive looking work.

Thank you, but you don't need me for the quick drain. You can just buy the valve and replace your drain plug. I went through the extra steps here because the threads had been messed up.

• Like 1

In hindsight, I could have bought a bigger valve and fitted that one instead of the normal size one for normal drain speed. Oh well, maybe next time!

Thank you, but you don't need me for the........

Not the salesman type, eh? Me neither. :happy:

Not for something simple like the drain... clutch covers though... I need to move some more of those! Your 'priller have a hydraulic clutch? :wink:

Both Apes have hydraulic clutches. Have only had 1 time the clutch went soft on the older one.

Time for bleeding. The rear brakes oto on the thing are notorious for going soft.

Minimal stopping power when they work. Who needs rear brakes anyway?

The fronts have never been a problem. They are great.

It's that Italian character. :beer:

Both Apes have hydraulic clutches. Have only had 1 time the clutch went soft on the older one.

Time for bleeding. The rear brakes oto on the thing are notorious for going soft.

Minimal stopping power when they work. Who needs rear brakes anyway?

The fronts have never been a problem. They are great.

It's that Italian character. :beer:

Well, if you have a hydraulic clutch, I can probably fit a window to your clutch cover :wink: