Moving To Redmond, Or

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Hello all...well life just keeps happening , and wife and I are headed to Redmond, Oregon this time ( near Bend). I have to report Feb 8th, and hopefully our house will be sold by then.

Are there any VFR brothers or sisters in the area?

• Member Contributer

Moving sucks, even when it's just down the block! Only good thing is that you get a chance to purge all of the things you stuck in a corner somewhere thinking you'd use again it someday! If you find any VFR goodies in said corners, I'm sure you can find someone here who would be glad to take it off your hands. I think we have Oregonians here, just might not be on line as much. Hopefully your move will be painless.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the well wishes. Another huge plus will be getting back to awesome roads right out my back door practically. Heck I may be able to join some of you grape-picking Californians for some rides...

• Member Contributer

Wow - are you in for a treat! Some of the best riding in the West is in Central Oregon. Besides lots of great roads, Central Oregon is extremely scenic - snow capped peaks, pine forests, lava flows - tons to see. Bend is next to Mt Bachelor if you like skiing and its also home to a thriving micro brew industry. The Oregon Trail meet this year went through Bend. If you ride offroad, there are plenty of opportunities for that too. If you want some suggestions, I'd be happy to PM some Google Maps links of favorite roads. There's at least one member here that has a vacation home in Bend, so there no doubt will be some opportunities to connect with other members for rides.

Uh oh. Moving to the dark side, eh? :goofy:

Enjoy, I hear it's nice. But wet.

Lord of the OSRecently one of my friends, a computer wizard, paid me a visit. As we were talking I mentioned that I had recently installed Windows XP on my PC. I told him how happy I was with this operating system and showed him the Windows XP CD. To my surprise he threw it into my microwave oven and turned it on. Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had become precious to me, but he said: 'Do not worry, it is unharmed.' After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and said: 'Take a close look at it.' To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it seemed to be heavier than before. At first I could not see anything, but on the inner edge of the central hole I saw an inscription, an inscription finer than anything I had ever seen before. The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth:

12413AEB2ED4FA5E6F7D78E78BEDE820945092OF923A40EElOE5 I OCC98D444AA08EI

'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said in a timid voice.
'No but I can,' he said. 'The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here. But in common English this is what it says:

One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

It is only two lines from a verse long known in System-lore:

"Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
One from the Dark Lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."'

wow, you're only an hour from OR-218. The run between Shaniko and fossil is sports bike paradise. Best stretch of motorcycle road in the state as far as I'm concerned. You can then jump on bakeoven and do the run to Maupin.

Lucky

• Member Contributer

Your landing in a great riding area from what I experienced http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75626-pnw-2014-oregon-trail/page-25 there are alot of pictures & videos of that area! Good luck with the move I am sure you will enjoy the area!!

• Member Contributer

Congrats Doc. I'll miss meeting up with you in AR. Perhaps we'll meet up in the PNW. Here's wishing you success in your new location.

• Member Contributer

Just got back to my own thread as things have been busy before Christmas. All I can say is "Wow" and "I should have known..." VFRD riders are hands down the most friendly, good-natured floks, and full of great information, whatever the subject as it pertains to bikes, riding, and ahem...sampling the local flavor.

Thanks so much guys! I'll let you know when we get settled and call up those of you that offered...

Uh oh. Moving to the dark side, eh? :goofy:

Enjoy, I hear it's nice. But wet.

Lord of the OSRecently one of my friends, a computer wizard, paid me a visit. As we were talking I mentioned that I had recently installed Windows XP on my PC. I told him how happy I was with this operating system and showed him the Windows XP CD. To my surprise he threw it into my microwave oven and turned it on. Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had become precious to me, but he said: 'Do not worry, it is unharmed.' After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and said: 'Take a close look at it.' To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it seemed to be heavier than before. At first I could not see anything, but on the inner edge of the central hole I saw an inscription, an inscription finer than anything I had ever seen before. The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth:

12413AEB2ED4FA5E6F7D78E78BEDE820945092OF923A40EElOE5 I OCC98D444AA08EI

'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said in a timid voice.

'No but I can,' he said. 'The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here. But in common English this is what it says:

One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

It is only two lines from a verse long known in System-lore:

"Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,

Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,

Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,

One from the Dark Lord Gates on his dark throne

In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.

One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."'

Not so wet in central Oregon...

Over 200 sunny days per year.

I live south of Redmond (about 2.5 hours).

You are in a great epicenter for riding. Great day rides thru Smith Rock, Sisters, McKenzie Hwy, Hwy 20, etc. Plus you can easily blow over into Idaho or Montana for extended trips. Watch for the free range and wildlife.

Craig

• Member Contributer
Watch for the free range and wildlife.

Great advice. Keep those eye peeled and be careful out there Doc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thinking about riding some Oregon twisties...5e97885f9a40dc3385945c6bcd8f48f9.jpg

Big thank you to GSwanson who came over and helped me dispense with my "hazardous chemicals" that the moving company won't let me take. Note to self...plan my moves six months in advance. Thanks Gary!

• Member Contributer

Glad to take your petro-chemicals. I ain't no tree hugger! They have already been assimilated into that mess I call a shop. Have you sorted out the bike shipping yet?

• Member Contributer

Not yet...I'm curious to see what the Mayflower guy has to say. I can't get imagine they will know how to properly transport a motorcycle. Now another question for you out westerners... Wifey and I got a new Subaru Outback (hers) and are going to swing through Albuquerque to see my brother and then do the Grand Canyon. What is the consensus for the Reno, NV to Bend, OR run? Too risky weatherwise this time of year? Planning on running US 395, CA 139 up to Klammath Falls, OR.

• Member Contributer

Not yet...I'm curious to see what the Mayflower guy has to say. I can't get imagine they will know how to properly transport a motorcycle. Now another question for you out westerners... Wifey and I got a new Subaru Outback (hers) and are going to swing through Albuquerque to see my brother and then do the Grand Canyon. What is the consensus for the Reno, NV to Bend, OR run? Too risky weatherwise this time of year? Planning on running US 395, CA 139 up to Klammath Falls, OR.

Most years I would say that can be a nasty drive in the winter. But in the Pac NW this winter it's been unseasonably warm and drier than normal. It's been one of the worst ski seasons in memory. The highs in Bend have been in the mid '50s and I think it's been similar for K. Falls and Reno. The link has traffic cam shots from Cedar Pass which is about 6,100 feet and is near Alturas, CA. Even tho you wouldn't be going over that pass, it gives some idea of conditions - not a flake of snow in sight. I would say keep an eye on Accuweather for forecasts, but if things stay as they are now you should be fine.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/sm_cedrpass8.shtml

• Member Contributer

Welcome to Central Oregon!

I think you will love it. I get down there frequently so I consider it my second home. Redmond is well situated centered within numerous backroad loops that make for great day rides. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations from those of us familiar with the area.

Let us know when you get established and we'll start helping you with the ride planning.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, we made it. Weather and road conditions were perfect the whole way. Grand Canyon stop was short but awe inspiring. Setup in a nice rental house in Redmond, Oregon. Ass deep in boxes so no riding yet. Bikes fared well in the moving van. More to come...

Archived