Forgive Me Father

DFerrell

• Member Contributer

My wife and I test rode a ST2 (and a Firestorm) but went for the 4th gen instead.

I hope your year has a rear brake that actually functions... I rode the ST2 in its first year and is was a disgrace.

Phoned Ducati NL who told me that nobody used the rear brake on a Ducati......... :unsure:

But hey! 2 bikes is good!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Man, kind of having buyers remorse. I was really looking for a tiger but then this popped up.

It feels good, suspension is a little tighter. Lighter and thinner. The power comes on quicker and it makes wonderful noises.

I'm thinking of breaking down the vfr to do pair removal, valve check, and steering head bearings and redo the fork oil.

Perhaps after I'm done ill sell or trade for something else.

• Member Contributer

A nothing wrong with owning a Duc! As long as you know the ups and downs. Also, definitely nothing wrong with owning multiple bikes, as one goes into maintenance, the other goes on the road!

Congratulations and ride safe.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Go rail some roads and sin no more, my son.

Thanks Dutchy; now pardon me while I go bleach my eyeballs.

That's a v nice pair you have there DF. Congrats. You obviously have OMBD (obsessive multi bike disorder).

• Member Contributer

Yeah this kind of popped up so even though it's not what I wanted I fo'd. : (

Wanted a tiger but this will work while I spruce up the vfr.

I thought it would be a small dip of the toe into ducati ownership.

I have no idea how the st2 could get better mileage, that thing runs rich.

nice pair, congrats :cheerleader:

oh, and btw, dont get intimidated by the crap nonsense you may hear about how brutal doing valve job or working on these Ducati engines may be.

its actually MUCH easier than any japanese bike i've worked on, specially the lovely 2v engines like your ST3 and air cooled monster, just pop the valve cap, its right there! :beer:

• Member Contributer

V4s power pistons are fast and sassy like the fist of Bruce Lee whereas V2s power pistons are slow and ponderous like fist of Muhammad Ali...

V4s power pistons are fast and sassy like the fist of Bruce Lee whereas V2s power pistons are slow and ponderous like fist of Muhammad Ali...

Having owned and rode both, i'd say to each their own way and pros/cons

While i still believe the Honda's V4 is the perfect engine configuration i've rode or owned (owned single cylinders, inline twin, inline-4, V-twins, V4, boxers, ...), but those Ducati 2V L-twin (2-valve/cyl) engines are just so punchy, tons of torque at low-mid range, open the throttle anytime and she goes!

However, being 2 valve with long stroke (low bore:stroke ratio) it kinda lacks the top end power, redline is at 9k rpm, but anything about 6.5 or 7k rpm it just feels like endless flat spot like u hit a wall and just gotta short shift to keep it in the nice spot (4-6k rpm)

But compared to my VFR (which is 7 years older and almost 3 times the mileage) its engine is far smoother everywhere from idle to 12k rpm, while not very punch like the Ducati at low-mid range,still got plentg of power everywhere, and just a blast when you revv it up (beyond 8k rpm, which i like to go there every once in while to feel/hear it roaring) unlike the Ducati

• Member Contributer

Went to the local ducati shop and picked up a copy of the service records. Full Desmo valve service done about 100 miles ago.

$1000 for valve check, new belts and oil change.

• Member Contributer

Went to the local ducati shop and picked up a copy of the service records. Full Desmo valve service done about 100 miles ago.

Holly sh!t !

You're all set then! That just saved you some time, money and hassle for a while

Next then i'd say inspect your clutch pack, remember its a dry clutch, alot of people ride on the clutch and prematurely wear it,

Oh, and while you're there, take the stock clutch cover off and put a nice open cover and hear it singing (chug chug chug chug keerrrrr, chug chug chug ...)

• Member Contributer

Belts? ....

I gotta get me a Duc Monster sometime.

Guess I ought to sell the older Tuono first. :sad2:

The VFR goes quite well when you wind it up especially.

But the 1000cc V Twins really have it on torque.

Got to exercise some discretion with the right wrist, more so than with a VFR.

Because stuff can happen in an unplanned manner. Woot! :wheel:

The VFR goes quite well when you wind it up especially.

But the 1000cc V Twins really have it on torque.

Got to exercise some discretion with the right wrist, more so than with a VFR.

Because stuff can happen in an unplanned manner. Woot! :wheel:

First thing i noticed on the Monster compared to the VFR is how stiff the throttle is to twist, on the VFR u can easily twist it with one finger or two (two cables throttle tube)

On the Monster, the throttle is far stiffer, which is kinda good to avoid to precisely control it from unintentionally popping front wheel, but really strain your right wrest on long rides (one cable, with stiffer spring at the throttle bodies)

I do agree it really have it on torque on low and mid range, and you mostly feel it because the bike is light (like 80-90lbs lighter than a VFR maybe), but compared to the VFR, the monster just lacks top end where the VFR keeps going like a freight train.

But on normal speeds (up to 50km/h above speed limit) it got tons of power, and on twesties and backroads i find myself going faster on the same road than the vfr, even overtaking guys on liter super bikes

Archived