F@#&ed My Bike & Myself Up Today

TNRabbit

locked my keys in the car today, so I took the bike into town and on my way back home had a wreck. I almost got run over by oncoming traffic but I ended up breaking several ribs. I'm at home on the couch in severe pain and will be out of work for at least a week, maybe two. I'm just glad I didn't get run over!

It happened so quickly I don't know what transpired. I practice threshold & panic braking all the time but somehow locked up my front tire when traffic stopped suddenly & I went down HARD on my left shoulder @ 35 mph & into oncoming lane.

Didn't get a look at the bike....might have only broken the clutch handle....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That sucks.

I recently read some advice re broken ribs I wish I'd known of when recovering from mine.

Take pain meds to relieve pain enough so that you can breath normal or else you develop a cough (no fun with broken ribs).

It may be easier to sleep sitting up in a recliner or even a bath tub.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Member Contributer

Take it easy and listen to the docs. I haven't had a severe panic moment in 10 -12 years but just about drove my SUV through the rear end of a 0 mph Civic last week. I saw him at the rear of a line of cars waiting out a red light, looked away momentarily, and then clearly lost track of time/speed/distance and hammered brand new brakes (thank GOD) straight to the fire wall. I would not have wanted to be standing between our vehicles because there was just inches to spare. My brain was on FULL ALERT at that point. Man, it only takes a split second for things to go wrong. I got lucky.

That sucks.

I recently read some advice re broken ribs I wish I'd known of when recovering from mine.

Take pain meds to relieve pain enough so that you can breath normal or else you develop a cough (no fun with broken ribs).

It may be easier to sleep sitting up in a recliner or even a bath tub.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yep, the nurse said basically that. I knew it but was a good reminder.

• Member Contributer

Hey, sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Get well soon.

Coming from one with a broken ankle. LOL

• Member Contributer

Having smashed 8 ribs in a mc myself once, I'd say you need more than a week to recover.....

I remember the fysio afterwards, getting electrodes and very mild shocks to stimulate the muscles in that area...

Take time you recover, you can work the rest of your life...

• Member Contributer

It appears to be statiscally true that most accidents happen close to home... we let our guards down.

Speaking from personal (but thankfully not recent) experience, you're quite right about that.

I hope you heal quickly and get back on two wheels.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear but glad you're walking around. Here's hoping for a quick and successful recovery.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear that.

It appears to be statiscally true that most accidents happen close to home... we let our guards down.

Take care and get well soon.

Here's one that might hurt your ribs...

I once heard most accidents happened within 5 miles of your home - so I moved out of that area. ... :goofy:

Well Amigo ...you lived through the crash and thats the good news ...bikes can be replaced (painful but do-able) and bodies heal (also painful) ...I am guessing you had on some good gear otherwise maybe more injuries...atgatt ...even on those "close to home" short hops, heal up and happy future rides to you !!!

• Member Contributer

Hey Rabbit,

Sometimes ya just can't make the stop... maybe leaned or counter steered slightly. :unsure: Even a crowned road can cause the front to tuck. Glad you're mostly ok! Anytime you make it through a helmet test and remember it, is a good day. At least you didn't do the "under car test"!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery on the ribs and shoulder. Sounds like the bike should be ok, too. :fing02:

Ded

• Member Contributer

$275 towing fee to tow my bike FOUR MILES. Unbelieveable!

An AMA membership with auto-renew will get you road side assistance with towing. Check it out.

$275 towing fee to tow my bike FOUR MILES. Unbelieveable!

An AMA membership with auto-renew will get you road side assistance with towing. Check it out.

I had AAA for years but lean times forced me to drop it last year....

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had my mishap over a year ago, I've struggled until October before getting shoulder surgery. Now I'm into therapy, hope to be riding again in two more months. Follow doctors orders, and hopefully you'll be riding before me!

Get well!!!!!!!!

Archived