Heated Grips

Provence

Anyone had an issue with heated grips. On the odd occasion I have started the bike up and the heated grip icon on the dash continues to flash without the grips actually coming on. I am unable to re-set the grips unless I turn the ignition off. Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe there is an issue. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything.

Thanks for any input.

Mine have been fine. Any chance you are trying to turn them on too soon or hitting the switch with your hand inadvertently while starting the bike? The system needs a moment to initialize after a normal engine start-up.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a loose connector .

or week battery. As per OEM heated grip manual: flashing indicates problem with the charging system and grips will not come on. Also can be water/moisture in the controller that shorts them out (know problem if a dealer installed these grips)

Mine was doing the same. It started happening more and more until finally it came up "E3" on the dash all the time and they wouldnt work at all. Honda struggled to find the problem. They tested both grips manually with a volt meter and both seemed ok so they replaced the heated grip relay but they still didn't work. They ordered a new set of grips fitted them one at a time. Turns out it was the grip with the switch on it. They weren't sure but they think the switch was sticking inside.

I am getting 3 flashes on the button on the grip. I emailed the dealer and they said they will hook it up to the Honda diagnostic system. Will probably get done in the New Year. If I understand the diagram posted above, it looks like there might be an issue with the switch. Good find by the way. Might look at getting one of these Shorai batteries. I always seem to have battery issues on VFR models.

• Member Contributer

Hi Provence. Sounds like you may have the same fault as Orkid 101. Three flashes on the switch and an E3 code on the instruments means it could be a sticking switch.

I'm surprised to hear you say you have issues with the VFR batteries, my four VFR's never suffered a battery failure, I did sell each bike at around 4 to 5 years of age, but the original Maintenance Free Yuasa battery is a very high quality battery, a buddy of mine had one in his Suzuki RF900 for 16 years! - BUT like any lead acid battery they like regular use OR if your bike is going to sit in the garage for months on end you need to attach a battery charger/maintainer otherwise they will sulphate up and destroy themselves.

I'm booked in for the 10 Jan. The more information I can give the dealer the better. Sounds like a switch issue. I think my issue with batteries stems from the fact that my commute to work is only 5 miles and the revs never get higher than about 3-4000. I do charge the battery every couple of weeks but I hear that starting a V4 engine requires a fair amount of power. Happy New Year by the way. 2014 probably won't go down as one of the better ones.

I first noticed my grips playing up when they turned themselves on on their own but I could turn them off without turning the ignition off. After a while they started to come on when I first started the bike and I couldn't turn them off by the switch I had to turn it off at the ignition. Then one day it came up E3 on the dash and they wouldn't work at all, hope it helps.

Mine has the same issue.

First happened after I had nor run the bike for four weeks, but the battery was regularly charged. First time the heated grip indicator just started flashing. Turning the bike on and off a few times cured the problem. Next time it happened it was showing the F3 code so I booked it into the dealer. A fair few VFR800's have had the whole left hand switch assembly changed under warranty due to this problem (dealer information). The dealer could not replicate the problem on my bike in the workshop so it was given back to me in the original state. The problem occurs every time the bike has not been started for some time. I don't ride much in winter, but the bike gets a regular battery charge once per week, and the odd ride when weather permits. The bike is so new that everything is a learning curve, but the malfunctioning heated grips switch is apparently a known problem.

Strangely my dealer had never heard of any other problems concerning the malfunctioning gear indicator display, in spite of every press test bike developing the problem. Mine has too, but this is another "glitch" that will have to be ironed out during the warranty period.

the original Maintenance Free Yuasa battery is a very high quality battery

"Used to be", rather. Yuasa has been plagued by qc issues in the last couple of years, even with their airliner batteries.

Many NC riders had to replace them within the first few months. Mine died shortly after the 2 years warranty period. I now got a cheap €35 battery and I'm sure it will work for another 2 years just fine.

Thanks Orkid and Gonzo for the feedback. At least I can go to the dealer with a little bit of data. Don't know whether it is a coincidence that all our bikes are UK bikes. Do I understand from Gonzo that the dealer has not fixed the problem Or are they going to change the grip. This looks like the obvious solution. And it looks like Honda must be aware of the problem. With the new crossrunner coming out you would have thought that Honda would want to avoid any issues with this new offering.

On the grip switch I am getting 3 flashes followed by a pause. On the dashboard I am getting continuous flashes. If I turn the ignition off, the grips seem to re-set themselves.

What's the gear indicator fault??

the MCN test bike seems to have a dodgy gear indicator which displays a line and can only be cleared by switching the ignition off. I must say in 6months of ownership I have not had this happen once. I wonder if it's related to the quickshifer mod

What's the gear indicator fault??

the MCN test bike seems to have a dodgy gear indicator which displays a line and can only be cleared by switching the ignition off. I must say in 6months of ownership I have not had this happen once. I wonder if it's related to the quickshifer mod

Don't think it's related to the quickshifter, at least not in my experience. Had it happen on my bike once, a couple of weeks after I got it (and before I got the quickshifter) and had to shut the bike off to reset the system, but hasn't done it since.

Sometimes happens that the indicator displays a line for a couple of seconds after changing gear but then figures out what gear the bike's in and displays a number again. I will say though, it seems to have been happening much less now there's a few thousand miles on the bike...

• Member Contributer

Mine flashed non-stop one wet morning in the rain. It did it right away as soon as the bike started up. Both the light on the switch as well as the indicator on the dash flashed continually until I'd ridden for a few minutes. I'm thinking that whatever connection was wet dried out either from the air flow or the warmth of the engine or both.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again I went to start the bike and I get a scenario where I press the starter, the engine turns, hesitates for a quarter of a second and then fires up. I charged the battery over the weekend. Is this a battery issue or is it a function of the V4 firing sequence? Thanks for any feedback. Heated grip issue still with Honda, awaiting a response.

Archived