Pair Valve Block Off Plates Question

gig

• Member Contributer

I previously had pair valve removed and caped, caps have dried out over time. I just received block off plates and seems they would seal better against reed gaskets if left in, then if reeds were removed,

Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Leave the reed gaskets in.

Some pics as fyi

When you first crack it open this is what you see. Unscrew carefully the small screw holding the reed valve.

Firstlook20.jpg

Slip out the reed valves....

Second20.jpg

Put the plate back

Thrid20.jpg

Bolt on cover plate.....

PairValveplaterear2.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Just to be 100.1% sure, I installed my Mellodude PAIR rear block off plate (will do front next week) and as in the first pic left the plate with the holes in, left 4 of the the components in the second pic out and as in pic 3 put the plates with the rubber gaskets on, then installed the PAIR blockoff plate. My question is with pic 2, these upper 4 copper colored plates above the gasket plate stay out, correct?

post-24160-0-80569300-1454292687.jpg

post-24160-0-64130300-1454292700.jpg

post-24160-0-49675100-1454292714.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you pull the plates out completely and turn them upside down you will find that the thread on the screws have been split so as they cannot come loose.

Grind the thread that is sticking out off, and the screws come out easy.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

I left mine together and filed the heads of the screws down until they didn't interfere with the plates. i also filed the plates completely flat as they had a couple high spots. Probably not an issue, but what the heck.

• Member Contributer

Not really since you only remove some of the screw head. It doesn't take very much to keep them from interfering. And since you take off only enough to clear the plates, there isn't enough room for the screws to back out and come loose.

When I installed my plates I could fit a .002 shim stock between the plates and the mounting surface. Even after ensuring the plates were flat I still had clearance, indicating the mounting surface wasn't 100% flat. That was when I put the reed valves back in so the rubber would seal any imperfections. And I didn't want to booger them up just in case I wanted to put everything back to stock if I didn't like the results. I do like the results and am glad I did it.

Not really since you only remove some of the screw head. It doesn't take very much to keep them from interfering. And since you take off only enough to clear the plates, there isn't enough room for the screws to back out and come loose.

When I installed my plates I could fit a .002 shim stock between the plates and the mounting surface. Even after ensuring the plates were flat I still had clearance, indicating the mounting surface wasn't 100% flat. That was when I put the reed valves back in so the rubber would seal any imperfections. And I didn't want to booger them up just in case I wanted to put everything back to stock if I didn't like the results. I do like the results and am glad I did it.

O I C. I had visions of the screws heads ground all the way off.