Anyone Know How To Turn Off Those Self Cancelling Indicators?

phatstorage

Surely if you need self cancelling indicators then you are not planning your manoeuvre correctly ?

They are also flashing on the dash right in front of your eyes ?

I agree it should have an option to turn it off.

My Dads Crossrunner had the same and on our first couple of rides I noticed that he would indicate early and the indicators would cancel themselves before making a turn, much to the annoyance of other roads user !

So, I just ride mine as though I don't have self cancelling, simples !

Also found that I hit the horn button the first few times I was trying to indicate but soon got used to it

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2014 at 0:26 AM, SlideRule said:

I've had a lot of trouble figuring out when the signals cancel and when they flash the full duration; it seems like they have a mind of their own. To me, it just isn't worth the hassle of looking down, checking to see if my blinker is still on, leading up to the turn. Since I feel they aren't working as they should, I finally said "Screw it" and looked into what it would take to disable this "feature".

In the pic below (sorry its a bit fuzzy) highlighted in yellow is our "Magic Blinker Box" behind the right-hand headlight. I figured if I disconnect the wheel speed feeds, the system would think its stationary all the time, letting the flashing go indefinitely until you manually shut it off. The two wires you're looking for are the Pink/Green and Pink/Blue which are fed to the relay thru the connector highlighted in green. I pulled the pins from the back, but the weatherproof connector was a pain to work with; I'm sure it would work just the same if you clipped the wires. The inset in the bottom-right corner shows the location of those two wires when looking at the end of the connector, clip facing up. Double-check the colors & location before doing anything permanent! After making sure all the bare ends were shrink-wrapped and/or taped, I plugged the connector back in and buttoned up the plastics. So far everything has been working as expected: ABS, TC & Hazards all work fine - the only difference is I have to manually cancel the blinkers like any other bike.

post-27908-0-03792900-1417819944.jpg

Thank you very much!

I did have a road king classic 2008 with auto-off-turn-signals wich worked very well,  but the system on vfr is no god at all.

I hit the turn signal several times to make sure its on.

now im going to disable them.

On 23/4/2015 at 5:32 PM, Jochem said:

Thanks SlideRule! :fing02:

I did the modification today.

But we had to clip the wires as we couldn't seem get the pins out of the connector.

I'm so happy with my Cancelled Self Cancelling Indicators :wink:

post-31949-0-58764500-1429803025.jpg

Thank you very much for that excellent picture, without it i would have been lost.

Did the wirecutting of those two and everything looks fine(for now)

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yup, I have now joined the masses of those who are flabbergasted Honda could produce something so pitifully bad yet has such a safety impact.

I love my new CR but the indicators....:mad:

They're plain dangerous. You either have to look down to see if they've cancelled before you want them to (and there seems to be no logic as to when they do or don't despite the manual saying how they should operate) which can clearly be a bad thing to do at the wrong time, or they continue to indicate when you no longer need them.

So this weekend I shall be cleaving my wire cutters and disabling the f*****g stupid system!

Thanks SlideRule. :beer:

Archived