Anyone Know How To Turn Off Those Self Cancelling Indicators?

phatstorage

• Member Contributer

If you tend to forget to cancel the indicator just fit a warning buzzer or an led warning light somewhere that gets your attention,problem solved. they are cheap on ebay.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

There's already a turn indicator light, I doubt adding another will do much good, unless it's really bright. And I hate buzzers, I'd rather have the self-canceling turn signals. They seem to work very well on cars. :beer: Actually from the lack of use I see I'm not so sure they are standard equipment on cars anymore. :cool:

• Member Contributer

There is obviously a problem with these new self cancelling indicators,the buzzer is annoying,but if you wire the earth of the buzzer to the live of the indicator,when you're sitting at a junction etc the buzzer is silenced,only when you drive off and release the brake it starts buzzing again,it's annoying so you are not gonna forget to cancel the indicator,I'd rather that than have someone pull out in front of me because I forgot to cancel the indicator,

the led warning light I have fitted on the Vfr is right at the centre top above the clocks so it shines very bright up on the inside of the screen,I find it brilliant,because there were a few times when I forgot to cancel the indicator on the Vfr. the led is much brighter than the oem indicator dash lights,

I think they were well worth the money anyway.

• 2 months later...

If they auto cancelled after, say, a minute then fine. Currently they're a safety issue as the switch off when you don't naturally expect them to - especially on roundabouts in the UK. Currently I'm flicking the switch every few seconds in a paranoid way to ensure they're still on so I don't have to take my eyes away from all the exciting stuff in front of me. I sometimes think it'd be safer to stick my arms out to indicate!!

Thanks for the photos and suggestion on how to disable the self cancelling feature enabling an intuitive way to use the indicators.

• Member Contributer

Have the same prob too paranoidly checking them to see if they are still on on mway ,junctions and roundabout and also have reverted to arm signals at times. Switch off time is fine for 30 mph but no good for 70.

• 2 weeks later...

How long before Honda gets slapped with a compensation claim from someone who's taken out when their indicator stopped flashing unexpectedly? Like ShinyVFR and Fink, I'm becoming paranoid and spending more time checking the indicators are still working than concentrating on the road. How they got through Honda QA, I'll never know. They certainly didn't test them in the UK. I went for a 170 mile spin over to the Cheddar Gorge today and the indicators self-cancelled before I'd turned off every dual carriageway junction, several roundabouts and a busy right turn across traffic. It's really not good enough. I wonder if there's a way that, as a large body of VFR riders, we can lobby Honda to provide a software flash to improve the operation in the UK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I hope they don't stick these crap self cancelling indiactors on the new Africa Twin as well, also their stupid left side switch with the horn and indicators in reversed placings.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if there's a way that, as a large body of VFR riders, we can lobby Honda to provide a software flash to improve the operation in the UK?

It's way less hassle to cut the two wires.

It has no effect on dealership warranty (at least not at my dealdership).

Less hassle for the individual Jochem, but part of the problem with the motorcycle industry is that they know that we motorcyclists are a pretty self sufficient bunch who'll fix issues that manufacturers allow through production. If a car manufacturer released a car with self cancelling indicators that caused a potential hazard, they'd be all over the news and a product recall would have been announced almost immediately. It's why we still have bikes being produced where there's little or no ability to adjust the riding position, the fuelling's not right, the suspension doesn't quite work and we're expected to find aftermarket solutions to the problems despite having paid as much as a small hatchback for the privilege.

If members of this forum simply cut the wires, we'll be OK but the tens of thousands of other people who buy the eighth gen VFR will be stuck with indicators that aren't fit for purpose.

When i am using the indicators i just hit the button and then press again a bit later, never had a problem. I don't bother looking at the display. good to see so many VFR owners use them, as it seems most bike,car, van , truck drivers expect you to know what they are about to do and so don't bother indicating.

Fair enough, fuelex.

I'd be willing to sign a group letter (or petition or whatever) to Honda stating that we are not happy with the system.

I contacted Honda via their contact us form here:

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/contact-us/pan-divisional-contact-us.html

Be great if everyone who's suffering with the self cancelling indicators would do the same and request that Honda provide a fix before someone gets hurt.

Thanks!

Yeah I've just sent through feedback to Honda Australia.

I find it great for puttering around town, but as soon as it's above 80km/hr I don't really think there's enough time before it turns off. Especially if you're taking a longer slip lane to an intersection from an 80 zone, or exiting a motorway, or turning off a somewhat busy country road, or roundabouts, or certain very close succession left-hand turns to get to work.

And not everyone is comfortable with snipping wires on a 5 day old bike! :P

Come to think of it, when exiting an Autobahn, the indicators cancel too early here as well. You're supposed to start indicating at the 300m bollard. The signal should then stay active until the exit lane is reached, which will take longer than 7 seconds when riding below 155 km/h.

There should really be a second locking position without the auto function, it could fix all problems. Would require a change to the hardware though, new switch with 5 positions instead of 3 etc.

Like I said at the top of this thread, honda must know that the bike's price and power level doesn't lend itself to an inexperienced rider who forgets to cancel their indicators, helpful for a cg125 but even then, how's anyone going to learn if this sort of stuff exists. As it's a proprietary system for Honda it's unlikely to become widespread across all bikes so why change stuff that no one asked them to change?

Get the folks that worked on that abomination to turn their focus to speeding up the refresh on the mpg readout or finding room in which to make storage in the fairing, how about getting the buttons off the dash and move them to the left bar along with the ugly, after thought traction control button?

Cruise control anyone? Yeah, any one of those would be more welcomed than this silly, unnecessary gimmick.

I still love this bike and won't have anything else but there are many useful add on examples from other manufacturers that honda could have stolen from to make the best mid range sport tourer ever instead of coming up with that. Maybe the next gen will crack it.

• Member Contributer

I contacted Honda via their contact us form here:

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/contact-us/pan-divisional-contact-us.html

Be great if everyone who's suffering with the self cancelling indicators would do the same and request that Honda provide a fix before someone gets hurt.

Thanks!

I did that on December 7 last year.

They referred me to my dealership. :wacko:

I still prefer having the feature to not having it, but it has not been implemented in an optimal way.

And yes, there are some other things that could be improved, like adding different levels to the over-sensitive traction control. 2 short pushes = level 2, and so on.

• Member Contributer

Use to ride with a guy who always forgot to turn off his blinker, he got use to what my quick beep of the horn meant. That said it sounds like it would be ok if it was somewhat user programable, like if the rider could set it to a set number of flashes, like 3 to change lanes, hold the switch a tad longer get 6 flashes. Volkwagon seems to have a decent system in there cars.

• 7 months later...
On 28 November 2014 at 1:12 AM, DriverDave said:

...and have gotten used to the retarded switch position. Unfortunately, one doesn't use the horn enough to get used to it, so in a panic situation, you could still go for the old spot and hit the signal. In my opinion, that is the real danger that Honda didn't think about when some "genius" engineer/designer decided those 2 switches should change places.

Completely disagree. Personally I found I got used to the indicator switch position in no time at all. It's only a matter of getting used to it and by the logic of some other contributors to this thread, if you can't remember the switch position, you shouldn't even be riding a bike. But I wouldn't be so harsh. :wink:

As to why Honda swapped the horn and indicator switches, I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is down to the simple fact that the lower position is easier for your thumb to operate. So logically that should be the switch that is used most often. Seems to me it's where it should have always been. In fact, when I was running Honda UK's Technical Training Schools, we would petition the Japanese to change the switches for this exact reason. Our exhortations seemed to fall on deaf ears. It's only taken them 30 years to see sense.

So you could claim it to be all my fault, but I suspect it is actually simply because they eventually came to the same conclusion we did all those years ago.

As to anyone who claims they never leave their indicators on by mistake - nonsense. I will admit some are better than others though and I'm the worst culprit. It is a monumental source of irritation to me that as soon as I've thought "DON'T FORGET TO TURN THEM OFF", it's gone. Until way later and I'm swearing profusely when finding the indicator still flashing. Does that mean I'm not proficient at riding a motorcycle? No of course not. Maybe Rossi has a similar problem. Does that mean he can't ride a bike? No, ridiculous of course. This is not a chosen course of action that can be corrected just by exercising a bit more care. It's down to how some individuals' brain is wired.

I've never used a self-cancelling indicator system that worked 100% as I wanted. There WILL be times that you need to modify its operation manually. Does that mean I don't want any self-cancelling assistance? No, that would be daft. Why reject the help it gives most of the time for those few occasions when it gets it wrong. It should however ensure they are never left flashing permanently.

I do however agree that this sort of system ought to be configurable in some way, so the user could adjust the timing, or the speed thresholds etc. But manufacturers don't like any such rider control it would appear.

So, self-cancelling indicators with the switch in the lower position on the bars - all good to me. :biggrin:  And should be for everyone else.

Glad I saw this thread, thought I was crazy. I was hitting the horn for days after I got the bike when I tried to signal, probably left plenty of people wondering what the hell I was honking at.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Completely disagree. Personally I found I got used to the indicator switch position in no time at all. It's only a matter of getting used to it and by the logic of some other contributors to this thread, if you can't remember the switch position, you shouldn't even be riding a bike. But I wouldn't be so harsh. :wink:

As to why Honda swapped the horn and indicator switches, I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is down to the simple fact that the lower position is easier for your thumb to operate. So logically that should be the switch that is used most often. Seems to me it's where it should have always been. In fact, when I was running Honda UK's Technical Training Schools, we would petition the Japanese to change the switches for this exact reason. Our exhortations seemed to fall on deaf ears. It's only taken them 30 years to see sense.

So you could claim it to be all my fault, but I suspect it is actually simply because they eventually came to the same conclusion we did all those years ago.

As to anyone who claims they never leave their indicators on by mistake - nonsense. I will admit some are better than others though and I'm the worst culprit. It is a monumental source of irritation to me that as soon as I've thought "DON'T FORGET TO TURN THEM OFF", it's gone. Until way later and I'm swearing profusely when finding the indicator still flashing. Does that mean I'm not proficient at riding a motorcycle? No of course not. Maybe Rossi has a similar problem. Does that mean he can't ride a bike? No, ridiculous of course. This is not a chosen course of action that can be corrected just by exercising a bit more care. It's down to how some individuals' brain is wired.

I've never used a self-cancelling indicator system that worked 100% as I wanted. There WILL be times that you need to modify its operation manually. Does that mean I don't want any self-cancelling assistance? No, that would be daft. Why reject the help it gives most of the time for those few occasions when it gets it wrong. It should however ensure they are never left flashing permanently.

I do however agree that this sort of system ought to be configurable in some way, so the user could adjust the timing, or the speed thresholds etc. But manufacturers don't like any such rider control it would appear.

So, self-cancelling indicators with the switch in the lower position on the bars - all good to me. :biggrin:  And should be for everyone else.

Agree on being able to alter the length of time  between indicating and them being turned off.  What other models have they swapped them on? 

• Member Contributer

Got the basic model and I seldom forget to cancel the turn signals.  I usually have it done before I've completely exited the turn.  I just didn't see the need or have the want for the extra features for over a grand in additional price.  I had the dealer put on a center stand before I would close the deal.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  ; )

Archived