Anyone Know How To Turn Off Those Self Cancelling Indicators?

phatstorage

I do the same thing. Just hit it a second time when you know it's gonna turn off, because you haven't slowed down enough by the time it hits 7 seconds. Overall, I like the idea, but agree it needs improvement. Even though it uses the wheel speeds to make decisions, it still doesn't work as it should. If you hit the signal and start slowing down, it should stay on until you start accelerating again (whether you come to a stop or not). Seems pretty simple, but I'm no electronics engineer so what do I know?!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a lot of trouble figuring out when the signals cancel and when they flash the full duration; it seems like they have a mind of their own. To me, it just isn't worth the hassle of looking down, checking to see if my blinker is still on, leading up to the turn. Since I feel they aren't working as they should, I finally said "Screw it" and looked into what it would take to disable this "feature".

In the pic below (sorry its a bit fuzzy) highlighted in yellow is our "Magic Blinker Box" behind the right-hand headlight. I figured if I disconnect the wheel speed feeds, the system would think its stationary all the time, letting the flashing go indefinitely until you manually shut it off. The two wires you're looking for are the Pink/Green and Pink/Blue which are fed to the relay thru the connector highlighted in green. I pulled the pins from the back, but the weatherproof connector was a pain to work with; I'm sure it would work just the same if you clipped the wires. The inset in the bottom-right corner shows the location of those two wires when looking at the end of the connector, clip facing up. Double-check the colors & location before doing anything permanent! After making sure all the bare ends were shrink-wrapped and/or taped, I plugged the connector back in and buttoned up the plastics. So far everything has been working as expected: ABS, TC & Hazards all work fine - the only difference is I have to manually cancel the blinkers like any other bike.

post-27908-0-03792900-1417819944.jpg

• Member Contributer

GREAT info SlideRule. The 2 wires would be in location 16 and 17 on the connector. Is it easy enough to remove the pins without damaging their locators, so that they can be properly re-inserted if needed, any trick to removing the pins? If the blinkers annoy me enough I will be keen to do this mod.

Cheers.

Grum

Thanks SlideRule seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

I have almost the same question as Grum; is it possible to do this so the wires can be reinserted leaving no trace of the mod. I have been told that interfering with this would invalidate Honda's warranty, so I'm thinking could I put it back if there were problems later?

Sliderule thanks. Top job there, was wondering if there was a simple fix like that, nicely done. At last I can concentrate on the road rather than my indicators to see if they're still on.

By reading previous comments, it seems I'm not the only one that likes control of my bike as opposed to letting electrickery make a hash of it. For the ones that have taken to it, fair enough, however it is a proprietary system so be aware when moving to another bike. For the know alls that think all bikers make the same mistakes, I'll be giving you a wide berth on the road.

... Is it easy enough to remove the pins without damaging their locators, so that they can be properly re-inserted if needed, any trick to removing the pins? ...

... is it possible to do this so the wires can be reinserted leaving no trace of the mod...

I was able to pull the pins, but only after fussing with it for fifteen minutes or so with a jeweler's screwdriver. The tool I made to depin connectors didn't seem to be much help in this instance. The weatherproof connector is fairly typical in design, although I haven't seen this particular style before - it seems like a weatherproof version of TS040. After taking the connector apart, lift the tab from the front while pulling the wire from the back and the lead slides right out - but I was having trouble with it for some reason. I spent about fourteen minutes getting the first one out and less than a minute with the second! Heat Shrink or tape the bare ends and tuck them back into the sheathing, put the covers back on the connector and you're ready to go. As long as you don't damage the connector when removing the leads the mod is completely reversible.

... it is a proprietary system so be aware when moving to another bike.

Although I only have one bike at the moment, I usually have two. I didn't want to get into the habit of forgetting to turn off my signals whenever I jump on another bike. I guess when the time comes I'll replace the left-hand switch for the same reason - I really don't understand why Honda decided to swap the location of the horn and signals. Everyone gave BMW enough crap over the years that they decided to conform, then Honda changes it up for the sake of "ergonomics"?? Sorry, not for me. I've got a spare gixxer switch assembily that I'll swap the connectors to make "plug & play". It has the turn signals & horn in the right locations, as well as "Flash to Pass" that I rather like. I also want to repurpose the gixxer's built-in hazard switch to function as the TC control so I can get rid of that silly button on the handlebar clamp. Here's a pic of a 2006 GSXR switch:

post-27908-0-82825400-1417892940.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've got used to honking when I mean to signal and vice versa since the apes have the horn and turn signal switched around opposite the VFR.

Actually I finally got used to switching bikes, and it not a BFD.

I can leave the signals on for a few miles after a turn with any of the bikes. :wink:

... have gotten used to the retarded switch position. Unfortunately, one doesn't use the horn enough to get used to it, so in a panic situation, you could still go for the old spot and hit the signal. In my opinion, that is the real danger that Honda didn't think about when some "genius" engineer/designer decided those 2 switches should change places.

I couldn't disagree more about the switch position. If you analyse it from first principles, the switch you use most (i.e. the indicators and NOT the horn) should be nearest and easiest to access and use and that is the lower position right by your thumb. Just because it is different and might take you a while to get used to doesn't make it a bad design.

Self cancelling indicators should be a standard feature to avoid them being left on for way too long which is what happens a LOT. In my opinion it should not be assumed the automatic system will always get it right. Always intend to manually turn off your indicators, but when you do forget (you will) they are a safety feature to ensure they don't remain on forever.

But if they actually turn off too early, then that IS a bad design and should be corrected.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The two wires you're looking for are the Pink/Green and Pink/Blue which are fed to the relay thru the connector highlighted in green. I pulled the pins from the back, but the weatherproof connector was a pain to work with;

Thanks SlideRule! :fing02:

I did the modification today.

But we had to clip the wires as we couldn't seem get the pins out of the connector.

I'm so happy with my Cancelled Self Cancelling Indicators :wink:

post-31949-0-58764500-1429803025.jpg

I sure miss the VFR system when I find myself back on my CBR. The switch location is far more useful and the self canceling isn't a problem as long as you activate it for every actual maneuver. (As opposed to expecting it to remain on through a chain of maneuvers, which is actually lazy and, in some places, illegal.)

• Member Contributer

...the self canceling isn't a problem as long as you activate it for every actual maneuver...

Yes, for those of us that have maneuvers lasting exactly 120m (394ft) below 50km/h (31mph) or lasting 7 seconds above 50 km/h (31mph), and those of us that do not wish, or need to have indicators between maneuvers (like going straight ahead on the 600m exit lane of the highway, as we do in my country), you are right! :fing02:

...the self canceling isn't a problem as long as you activate it for every actual maneuver...

Yes, for those of us that have maneuvers lasting exactly 120m (394ft) below 50km/h (31mph) or lasting 7 seconds above 50 km/h (31mph), and those of us that do not wish, or need to have indicators between maneuvers (like going straight ahead on the 600m exit lane of the highway, as we do in my country), you are right! :fing02:

This^

And:

Leave things alone honda. Work on getting the led headlight better as that's just dangerous in dark bends.

All this technology that goes into helping people ride/drive vehicles is ridiculous.

Parking sensors, traction control, abs and the like all make us lazy and less competent when using vehicles, But there are probably just as many crashes today as there ever have been, if not more, because folks have too much faith in the safety equipment of their cars.

It doesn't make them uncrashable but as people drive faster without fear of instability, it comes as no surprise when physics takes over technology and a huge crash results. I see the aftermath of a crash on the A10 nearly every day, just yesterday, a car lay on it's side facing the wrong way after hitting another car also 90 degrees spun from where it should be. This is on a 40 mph Road coming onto a round about! A simple case of not looking and going too quick. IMO we just need to be better road users then we'd crash less and not need any of this electrikery.

+1 phatstorage

The best electronic safety feature would be something that blocks the driver to access to most non-traffic related parts of a celluar phone, disabling things like Facebook, SMS, Candycrush ... or whatever people are fiddeling with, instead of driving. I'm amazed how non-focused some drivers are.

----

I like the idea of the self cancelling blinkers, but I'm not so sure about the implementation. If I approach a crossing and will make a turn and there are others that should go first, I often do not stop, but ride really slow (i.e. not put my feet down to a complete stop). In this case the indicators think I'm still riding and will turn my blinkers off. So when I'm about to make the turn I have no indicator on. I don't consider that safe.

For me it takes more effort to check and/or restart the blinkers two or three times in crossings or when going towards a highway exit than it takes to turn them off manually, the old-school way.

I have given the automatic system some time, but I am also strongly leaning towards to disable it.

Don't misunderstand my previous post. I like safety features. In an emergency I like both ABS, TC, airbags in cars and all sort of that stuff. Used correct and wisely, many tings are quite good.

The VFRs' blinker thingy on the other hand I actually doubted even before I bought this bike. In many situations it work fine; yes it turns the blinker off. But since it also turn it off long before I even reach the "apex" of a turn, it also annoys me that I need to check if it still on in many situations. It takes focus from traffic and makes me feel un-safe. I gave it a try - and due to this grey and rainy saturday, it's now disabled.

I first pried the connector apart, trying to get the sockets out. After a while of fiddeling I realized it would be easier to just cut the wires. So I did. I also soldered a few cm of extra wires on the two stumps in the harness. The end of the four stumps were protected with some shrink tube. This way makes it quite simple to solder the four stumps together again, if the function should be re-enabled some day. (Green to pink/green and blue to pink/blue.) The whole thing will be written down and put together with the users manual. If I sell the bike some day I'll restore this mod, but there is no such plans as of today - I like my Viffer. :happy:

I like the auto canceling, but like on many cars, the indicator switch should really have two positions per direction: one for tapping, auto-canceled, and one latching without it.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Why didn't they just fit something like an indicator warning buzzer,a great safety feature that could easily be unplugged if the rider didn't want it,though that could invalidate the insurance policy.

changing the horn/indicator switches around was just a stupid idea, it makes no sense to me.

as has been said the best safety device needed for cars now is something that will block the use of mobile phones while driving.

After a 5000km trip through Europe I like my de-self-cancelling indicators even more! Im so glad I deactivated that function.

So good to know they are still on when trying to change lane on a crowded street i south France or on the german Autobahn, going on/off exits, riding reeeeally slow and wait for a free spot in a crossing etc. etc.

About the switch of placement of the horn and blink I kind of like it. For me it is easier to reach the indicators than the horn. I blink more often than I beep. :) Dont think I have mistaken them even once. When thinking of it, I beeped instead of turning the blink off more often on my previous bike, a Sukizuki, which had the "normal" layout. :comp13:

I have no probs with the indicators on the Autobahn, and I ride there all the time.

Thou shalt not dislike the great auto-cancelling indicators!11 ;)

I wish I had them on the NC.

I have no probs with the indicators on the Autobahn, and I ride there all the time.

Thou shalt not dislike the great auto-cancelling indicators!11 ;)

I wish I had them on the NC.

There's a saying here in Sweden that I'll try to translate (allthough it rimes in Swedish):

"The taste is like the butt - parted" :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

A Honda rider was seriously injured in my city yesterday when he forgot to reset the indicator, and a car driver thought he would turn onto a parking lot, pulling out in front of him.

I'm glad that can't happen with the VFR, though I have a lot of routine resetting it because I ride the NC almost daily.

• Member Contributer

A Honda rider was seriously injured in my city yesterday when he forgot to reset the indicator, and a car driver thought he would turn onto a parking lot, pulling out in front of him.

I'm glad that can't happen with the VFR, though I have a lot of routine resetting it because I ride the NC almost daily.

Oops, I forget that some markets do get the self-canceling turn signals.

But this is one of the reasons I don't care for manual turn signals. If you forget to turn it off after signaling a lane change, some jerkwad will think you're turning left and pull right in front of you.

Archived