Anyone Know How To Turn Off Those Self Cancelling Indicators?

phatstorage

They annoy me, they turn off sometimes when on roundabouts, fine if you don't mind people pulling out on you thinking you're going straight when you're actually going right.

There's no need for them, at this level of biking, you should know to cancel your indicators, this isn't a learner's bike.

Should have the team that wasted time making this gimmick work on moving the dash buttons to the left bar and dumping the TC button on the left bar to the dash :mad:

Along with moving the "trip A/B" line to the right and permanently displaying the temp in the top left.

Anyway, rant over, and back to the question in the title...................Any ideas?

Cheers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hey, you'll not find me denigrating self-canceling turn signals. I don't know how many times I've seen bikes running merrily down the road with their turn signals flashing away. I've had them in the past and I think they are a fine and wonderful thing. If you've never forgotten to turn your turn signals off you're in a minority of about 1. A lot of people won't use them because they get know their likely to forget to turn them off.

They may pull out if they're not flashing, but they also may turn right in front of you if you've forgotten to cancel a left-turn signal.

I'm with phatstorage, two or three times they've done what I didn't want, not canceled after a turn making another driver think I'm turning off when I'm not and as he says, canceled before I've finished turning, changing lane or whatever so I've had to turn them back on. All this means you have to check on them to make sure they're not showing what you don't want, and do it manually. And if you're doing it manually, what's the point of having them?

Agree with the rest of his design suggestions as well!

I got used to the timing of the turn signals pretty quickly. I like the turn signals after the first few days or so of using them, they are designed so that if needed you can self cancel early or let them cancel in the few seconds it takes to do so normally. The traction control I dont turn it off, and I dont change the A/B buttons much, I set it the way i want it and leave that alone when in motion. The heated grip button took getting used to also, if anything Id change it a bit, make it easier to activate without activating by accident, I did that twice.

I think I've forgotten only a couple of times over my 14 years of riding, not bad I guess, it's instinctive to press the button whenever I've made a turn.

If there's lots of people on leaving indicators on then maybe they shouldn't be on the road as I assume their attention isn't where it should be, an occasional glance at the instruments is again one of those instinctive things.

If you have full control of your vehicle, the last thing you want is some bit of technology taking that job away from you and doing it badly.

I'll let some riders have their due, not thoroughly trained/casual riders, keep self cancelling indicators for those lot, poorly trained/part time riders tend not to buy brand new 10k bikes though.

"They may pull out if they're not flashing, but they also may turn right in front of you if you've forgotten to cancel a left-turn signal"

If you look at it like this, one is your fault and could have been avoided, the other isn't and can't be as the technology took over, I know which one I'd rather have.

• Member Contributer

You also hate the self-canceling turn signals in your car? Or does your eidetic memory also work there?

And by definition forgetting to turn your turn signals off means you don't remember, so it could have happened a lot of times, but, wait for it, you don't remember. Maybe that guy you just cussed out for turning in front of you did so because he saw your turn signal on, which you forgot to turn off.

Like I said: if you've never forgotten, then you're in a minority of 1.

In this day and age with technology the way it is it surprises me how often new features are introduced like this without the option to enable / disable.

A simple option like this (maybe set by default out of the factory to 'enable') would suit people from both sides and would hardly take much more to implement into the design.

If they wanted to go further, they could put in options to change the delay time. That would probably take a bit more engineering than a simple enable/disable but even so - with the number of bikes that they make, I'm sure the additional cost once factored in would be pretty small. Maybe they only leave this sort of feature for their more expensive bikes (like they do in cars) to entice people to spend more - but in the end, I don't see bikes the same. A VFR is a VFR. I'm hardly going to consider a goldwing an 'upgrade'. ;)

It's really a pretty basic system for being a "more advanced modern version". It has a 7 second delay unless you come very close, or all the way to a stop before the 7 seconds is up, then it'll stay on. It then turns off once you hit a certain speed when you take off (for me, it's usually when I shift to 2nd on a quick jump to 30ish mph). Sometimes it doesn't turn off right away when I take off, but will still turn off after 7 seconds. The 7 second thing is for a lane change, but if you signal for an exit to get off the highway at 70, it will turn off while you're still slowing down, long before you stop. I usually just hit it a second time before it shuts off and that will keep it going up to and during the stop.

Overall, I like it, and have gotten used to the retarded switch position. Unfortunately, one doesn't use the horn enough to get used to it, so in a panic situation, you could still go for the old spot and hit the signal. In my opinion, that is the real danger that Honda didn't think about when some "genius" engineer/designer decided those 2 switches should change places.

• Member Contributer

The bike is also supposed to be able to figure out when you make a turn and immediately cancel them but it doesn't really seem to work for me.

The position of the horn button is vile but to be fair, the VFR isn't the only bike to have it like that.

I wonder if the new arrangement is some Euro thing. It's definitely not a US regulatory change. I checked. ;-)

Walking around Fay Myers Motorcycle World, Honda appears to be the only brand doing it (switches reversed). All the current Euro brands still have the horn on the bottom.

I agree that the horn switch being different is the hard part to get used to because most of us dont use it often, the turn signals are easy because you should be using them alot. There are a few Hondas using self canceling turn signals, and Im sure other brands. Funny that self canceling turn signals and ones memory comes up, I see cars and trucks (some professional drivers who have been doing so a long time) with their tun signal lit up and going for many miles after they made their turn, and an occasional cycles for a short time. In the 15 plus years Ive been riding just my 2 cycles I know that Ive forgotten a few times to cancel the turn signal for short distances, its just a habit to check them. With this VFR800 and its self canceling signals I still check to make sure they have canceled, but the system works pretty good once you are used to the timing of them, in fact due to the way they time their canceling they sometimes work better than alot of cars which are supposed to cancel from the steering wheel returning in position.

• Member Contributer

I have read about this issue with the new vfr,I'd rather have the conventional set up, when I got my ST1100 first for some reason on that bike I forgot to turn the indicators off,so I bought a little indicator on warning buzzer from ebay,I used that for a few years till it became annoying so I disabled it now,I had it wired so as when I had the brakes on the buzzer cancelled temporarily,eg when sitting at a junction,it was well worth the £10 or so it cost.

I had a little problem early on, switching back and forth from my CBR to the VFR and back, but now it's second nature onj the VFR. I might find myself beeping the horn on the CBR now if I don't think about what I'm doing.

With that said, the position of the turn switch on the VFR actually falls "more readily to thumb" and I actually like it better. I've also learned the behavior of the signal cancellation and have grown quite accustomed to it.

I still find myself cancelling the signal manually all of the time though.

Anyway, rant over, and back to the question in the title...................Any ideas?

Yeah. Introduce normal usage of roundabouts in the UK.

All complaints about this so far came from the British, because apparently you have this weird thing with leaving the indicator on while driving through, instead of only using it when you exit, as in most other countries.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about "soft coding" of Honda motorbike control units. I own a Healtech OBD kit and there is no country coding or anything similar exported by the control module.

About the switch of indicator and horn, it has been Honda's standard position since 2012. Consistent with the NC700, CB500 and any other new model.

BTW, the indicator cancels after 7 seconds or a specific distance (I think 120m), whichever comes first.

• Member Contributer

Indicators001.jpgHi All.

Attached is some helpful info for you. I think the description of the "Lane Change" mode will help to understand why in some conditions the indicators will cancel prematurely on you. I also find the position of the indicator switch is in the naturally right spot for me, my thumb finds it a lot easier and more instinctive, only took me a couple of rides to get used to it.

Cheers.

Grum.

post-30826-0-08831100-1417475008.jpg

You also hate the self-canceling turn signals in your car? Or does your eidetic memory also work there?

And by definition forgetting to turn your turn signals off means you don't remember, so it could have happened a lot of times, but, wait for it, you don't remember. Maybe that guy you just cussed out for turning in front of you did so because he saw your turn signal on, which you forgot to turn off.

Like I said: if you've never forgotten, then you're in a minority of 1.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to get at but, you know when you've forgotten to cancel indicators when you look down at the display periodically.

And yes, I do manually cancel in my car too. It's really not that hard and it helps to keep you alert if you engage with the vehicle you're operating.

Yeah. Introduce normal usage of roundabouts in the UK.All complaints about this so far came from the British, because apparently you have this weird thing with leaving the indicator on while driving through, instead of only using it when you exit, as in most other countries.Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about "soft coding" of Honda motorbike control units. I own a Healtech OBD kit and there is no country coding or anything similar exported by the control module.About the switch of indicator and horn, it has been Honda's standard position since 2012. Consistent with the NC700, CB500 and any other new model.BTW, the indicator cancels after 7 seconds or a specific distance (I think 120m), whichever comes first.

With the whole indicating whilst on the roundabout thing, In the UK, traffic on the roundabout has priority so we need to let people entering the roundabout know where we're intending to go otherwise we'd get cut up. This is different from Germany and most of Europe as it's the traffic entering the roundabout that has priority so signalling doesn't matter as much once you're on it.

Simply look up the highway code to understand why things are done the way they are.

Traffic in the roundabout has priority here as well. No indicator = vehicle will pass roundabout junction, other traffic has to wait. Indicator = vehicle is about to exit the roundabout, other traffic can move on. Simple.

I think we had the British system until it was changed in the 90s.

Yes, people often don't do it, and then you wait at the junction for nothing. As with DCT I don't need my left hand to hold the clutch, I then use it to give these lazy people a sign..

First let me say that in the last thirty years I have never knowingly forgotten to cancel my indicators - after I complete the turn I stop turning and cancel my indicator, failure to do either one can be very dangerous.

My indicators work perfectly below 32mph, but above this speed they flash 9 times then cancel.

Most of my riding is done on rural roads with a speed limit of 60mph and I find the self cancelling indicators especially dangerous when I am taking a right hand turnoff (for USA and Europe substitute left for right) they cancell much too soon and encourage other vehicles to overtake just as I am making my turn, this happened twice in the first 500 miles of ownership.

I took the bike back to my Honda dealer and got him to ride it in on the same roads at the same speeds to get him on side. He agree with me and filed a report with Honda.

Honda sent a replacement relay which made no difference. My dealer contacted them again and told them that the indicators only flashed 9 times, at speeds over 32mph, before cancelling and Honda told him that was exactly how they were supposed to work and that the self-cancelling function can not be disabled nor can the timing be altered.

I phoned Honda UK to complain; a very polite operative took my call, noted what I told him and told me I would receive a return call from Honda. 2 days later I received a call from a very rude man from Honda. This man told me that there is no problem with the self-cancelling indicators and that the problem is my riding. When I said that it is a safety issue, he actually started shouting at me and finished by telling me "There is no problem with safety. If there was a problem with safety Honda would have issued a recall, they haven't so stop saying it is a safety issue".

The latest advice from my dealer is to wait for someone to invent an aftermarket device to bypass the sef-cancelling function.

I learned the timing of my turn signals pretty quickly by paying attention, around the time they self cancel or beforehand I tap that signal to keep it going if needed, thats an easy way to solve the problem. These turn signals are not unique nor are they only used on this one model. Yes, on occasion it can be an inconvenience to have to press that signal again, but every car Ive ever owned had self canceling signals (as a legal requirement) and sometimes they need to be reactivated when making certain turns also. Ive never counted the total number of flashes at turns but I can tell you that depending on the speed your traveling, the distance you are traveling after activating the signal they are on different amounts of time and cycles. When approaching a turn at a higher rate of speed when they are activated earlier I tap that signal again to ensure that its still on so that other drivers know what I intend to do.

Archived