Breakdown

Richard205

Hi all,

I've been riding my VFR for about a month now, 200 miles a week, no problems. Starts every morning, does 40 mpg,

This morning organised a ride out with a mate. Off I set to get cash at the local shop, little reluctant to start after, but did and off to get some fuel. Wouldn't start at all after buying fuel. Battery appeared completely lifeless.

Called the breakdown people and they duly came to start it by jumping it. Ran for about 10 minutes and died again. Called the breakdown people again, jumped it again.

Drove it home, no problems. It struggled again on my driveway and wouldn't start.

Left it for about 3 hours, just long enough to see Lewis Hamilton win the championship!!! Then it started, turned it off and did it again.

Anyway, any ideas? Battery? Rectifier? Alternator?

It's a 98 with 46k miles.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Rich.

• Member Contributer

Clearly the battery is not charged - either because it's at the end of its life or your charging system isn't working properly - or both. Have the battery load tested by a shop (or just replace it if it's getting older) and then check the threads in the electrical forum for charging issues - there's tons of help in there.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/forum/7-electrical/

• Member Contributer

Hello Rich,

You bought the bike a month ago? If so and you can contact the seller, ask how old that battery is. Anything over say 5 years just buy a new Yuasa

I suspect the battery to be duff 1st. Phone your local garage and ask if they can do a load test on it.

Next? An introduction in the welcome section! With a picture :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I had a similar issue with my '09 and although it would start and stay running, I knew there was a problem that needed to be addressed. First step was to check all of the electrical connections related to the strater and then test the R/R & Stator. Once I knew these were in good shape, the next step was to check the battery. Since my bike was used when I bought it and I had no direct relationship with the original owner, I just assumed the battery was OEM and more than 4 years old. With that, I did a basic battery test and found that the standing voltage was below the nominal value for an MC battery. Personally this was all the proof I needed to determine that it was the battery, as all other electrical aspects of the bike were good.

Basically, do the check on the electical system before buying a new battery, don't assume due to age or because it is undervoltage, that it is just the battery, it could be that the charging system or electrical connections are preventing the battery from charging properly. Not to get dramatic or be an alarmist, the 5 Gens are known for their electrical woes.

Same symptoms when my regulator/rectifier and stator all went. Dead battery, ran until it lost charge on the battery, killed battery, then the R/R and stator both packed it in. The issue with just replacing the battery is if it is the other components you'll kill a new battery.

• Member Contributer

It's all been said above.....and welcome! :beer:

BTW, 40mpg sounds a little low...when was the bike last serviced?

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle troubleshooting is a form of problem solving... It is a
logical search for the source of a problem so that it can be solved...
always eliminate the battery first... because you find that 90% of the
time it proves to be the weakest link of your bike... and so much
depends on correct voltage that it's pays to have your battery tended
to a charger at all times...

To determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue,new battery fitted by previous owner but the reg/rec and stator were bad,replaced them and all is well now,I charged the battery and it is running perfect now,touch wood.

Thanks for all the advice. My battery is currently in being checked so find out tomorrow if it's any good.

No idea when the bike was last serviced so planning some routine maintenance. Oil and filter to start and the rest as I get time and spare cash.

Cheers,

I had a similar problem two days ago. I was riding back from Motorcycle Live in the UK and on the M40 when i noticed both my tacho and odo were showing zero on my 1999 5th gen (46000 miles). The lights were looking quite dim and the indicators too. Worried that my lights were going on a busy motorway, i pulled off to the hard shoulder and the engine died as i slowed down.

When i tried to start it, all i got was a ticking sound. The lights were still coming on, the digi dash was too, but no starting possible.

To cut a long story short i was recovered to my house with the bike.

Its still got the same symptoms.

Battery was fine on the previous 130 miles i had done that day (its 3 years old). Not sure whether i have a OEM reg/rec or a replacement before i bought it (7 months ago) I did look at it but there is no writing on it that i can see without taking the fairing off.

Worth replacing the battery and the reg/rec? Has the alternator gone?

Is it just a case of taking the old reg/rec out and putting another in? How would i know if there is any fried wiring etc that needs doing?

Sorry, but not technically minded in this area. Cheers in advance

Edit...The reg/rec is silver so after market

Hello,

My bike is now running well. I've changed the battery for a Yuasa one that hopefully will do the job. I've also changed the regulator. I got it off eBay for £52 from Betrums bike bits. It was a straight replacement, just a matter of undoing the 10 mm bolts and unclipping the wiring.

Mine had been fitted with an additional cooling fan from a PC but the wiring had previously broken so it wasn't working anyway.

Pretty simple to get to, under the left side panel.

Good luck, I changed both of mine for peace of mind.

• Member Contributer

You may also want to install a voltmeter, so when things go pear-shaped, you will have some advance warning.

for instance

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70384-post-your-voltmeter-mount-pics/?p=824323

• 1 month later...

Archived