Is The First Vfr Now A Classic?

LoopRider

Bike magazine thinks it was an instant classic, however if you go off prices (in NZ at least) good first generation VFRs do not sell for much over residual (unlike rc30, CBX1000s, K1 Cb750 etc). Is it simply not old enough yet? Or looks too modern?

post-23773-0-13266200-1416663235.jpg

• Member Contributer

Personally I thought the VF500 Interceptor was an instant classic! It wasn't until later in life did I finally buy an Inteceptor, albeit a 2009 model, but it was that first Interctor that I fell in love with that was the drive for getting that.

I think the 16 inch front wheel also do not help to keep the value up on streetbikes like these...... They just seem to scream "old" and not "cool" when you see those wheels.

It seems like, only the more hyper sport bikes and race bikes can get away with them as less of a negative.

JMO....

• Member Contributer

I think, in showroom condition, they're a classic. Rarity often correlates to desirability. I had a 1986 Yamaha FZ600 which was much, much more rare than a first generation VFR. It was showroom perfect and drew a crowd.

I think the first generation VFR is still too plentiful to garner that much attention or have such collector value.

That 750 engine is fantastic, though. You could stick that in a new bike today and it would be a hell of a package.

I used to think the 4th Gen would become 'the' collectable VFR, but I actually agree with the article regarding the 1st/2nd Gen. Personally I'd go 2nd Gen for the 17" wheels, but the thing with collectibles is that it's not always about outright performance.

For anyone who owns a 1st/2nd Gen - start tracking down the original bits now if you've got aftermarket kit on it. Collectors will always pay a premium for the bike that is totally original, or at least has the original bits in a box accompanying the bike (same goes for cars).

They are classics but they were so well made there are lots of them still on the road and so they'll never be rare and expensive. The RC30 has unusual wheel sizes but that didn't stop it becoming a classic.

I've seen low mileage examples for sale in the UK for up to ÂŁ4,000 but they never seem to sell. ÂŁ2,000-ÂŁ2,500 for a mint 5,000 mile example seems about right.

They are classics but they were so well made there are lots of them still on the road and so they'll never be rare and expensive. The RC30 has unusual wheel sizes but that didn't stop it becoming a classic.

I've seen low mileage examples for sale in the UK for up to ÂŁ4,000 but they never seem to sell. ÂŁ2,000-ÂŁ2,500 for a mint 5,000 mile example seems about right.

Wait a decade or 2. :unsure:

Here, in Austria, the VFR (86-89) go for less than 2k Euros, ..... I think, there are enough of them on the road, to keep the prices low, and most people here are not aware, that it actually exists. (If I knew, when I started riding, my first bike would have been a VFR, ... )
Also, today, it is no head turner here. The people pay crazy prices for VMAX, and Harleys, .... I, personally, think, the VFR is too reasonable, to be a valuable classic, yet.

One time, the people will start to recognize, that these bikes are vanishing, and then, the prices will climb rapidly, but right now, there are enough of the old VFRs out there, to keep the prices low.

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've recently met a guy who claims to have a 100% stock, well cared for (30,000 km) 1986 VFR that he will be selling.

Stating that he'll be looking for around $4K (CDN).

What would consensus be for value of such a bike? I know that personal value plays a part (how bad one wants something) but market wise and VFRD member wise.

I have a very educated, mechanic friend who could really give it the look over for fit and operational status. I'd be venturing in the high $2K range myself.

• Member Contributer

In my opinion that is absolute top dollar. That would mean it meets the following.

Original exhaust, in very good shape. (lots of bikes are adverised as original with aftermarket exhausts).

OEM paint in near perfect shape, preferably the RWB combo.

It has not been down.

New, or almost new rubber.

That it is in fact a 750, not a 700 US import.

It has the rear seat cowl.

Maintenance receipts going back as far as you are comfortable with confirming its been well looked after.

Clear Title, no Stator - R/R issues, no shock issues, seat in good shape, newish battery, etc. all goes without saying.

For reference I bought my 87 (VFR700) 5 years ago for a quarter of his asking price. It had been re-painted and the tires were crap, but the engine with 40K ran strong, all the plastics were there, and the bike tracked well.

If you are serious about buying one of these be advised the 18 rear/16 front combo is an issue with tires. On my 83 I replaced my 18 rear with a 17 from a VF1000F and was happy with my Bridgestone S20 17 rear 16 front rubber. On my 87 I made do with Pirelli Sport Demons and well, they can use adjectives like Sport, or Demon and at the end of the day they are still bias tires. The bike itself though is still a great bike.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

For sale now in NL, a VFR700 with 29k miles for Euro 1,250......... (make that US$1250)

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/motoren-honda/m985208358-honda-vfr700-intercepter-vfr-750-rc24-rc26.html?c=4dc4183dfac1254e7aa85845826d5acd&previousPage=mympBuyer

not mine, no affiliation

• Member Contributer

I think the low mileage/all original ones will always be the high dollar ones when things take off, but I think the next ones down will be the ones with the 17" wheel conversions for the simple fact that good rubber just makes them more fun to ride. And I think that is what will make the 1st/2nd Gen VFR's such a special bike, they are still very fun to ride, even with skinny forks, they have a modern look to them, they run great, have a good chassis/suspension, good ergonomics, just an all-around good package.

I think the current café racer craze is what is driving up the price of some of the older standards, but when the retro superbike craze hits, these will become one of the go to bikes.

I think the low mileage/all original ones will always be the high dollar ones when things take off, but I think the next ones down will be the ones with the 17" wheel conversions for the simple fact that good rubber just makes them more fun to ride. And I think that is what will make the 1st/2nd Gen VFR's such a special bike, they are still very fun to ride, even with skinny forks, they have a modern look to them, they run great, have a good chassis/suspension, good ergonomics, just an all-around good package.

I think the current café racer craze is what is driving up the price of some of the older standards, but when the retro superbike craze hits, these will become one of the go to bikes.

I have a 86 with 17 inch wheels and pilot powers and love to ride it. I have now a 89 rear wheel and a hurricane frontwheel and are thinkig upgrading the bike with a 41 mm fork and wider wheels from a later cbr. I think the skinny 110 frontwheel just does not put enough rubber on the tarmac

Archived