New To Site: 85 Vf1000R

mp33dave

love it when a plan comes together...the seat is next. I promised myself that I would tackle one thing at a time, two at the most, when doing this bike. Sometimes I get over zealous and break down too much then get overwhelmed with stuff.

After seat - Tank.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Sorry I'm late to the greetings but have been wrestling with a 10 week old Husky puupy that has been occupying all my time.

I was going to say wrap the seat yourself. I got that same red at Jo-Anns as well. Put a staple in the middle of one end then pull back till its slightly tight and put in another in the middle. Don't pull to hard from back to front or you'll distort the section that meets the tank. Do the same on each side. Now you can really pull to make it snug by working your way around. Looks like you have a good handle on it cause the butt pad is the hard part.

It might look bad now but everything can be fiberglassed and worked to look new. Keep it up.

• Member Contributer

love it when a plan comes together...the seat is next. I promised myself that I would tackle one thing at a time, two at the most, when doing this bike. Sometimes I get over zealous and break down too much then get overwhelmed with stuff.

After seat - Tank.

when doing your seat..

staple the back.

heat and pull forward to front..

heat

do a side , heat

other side..

heat,do back.

heat and do front last.. :fing02:

if you start at the front it some times pulls the padding back and you end up with a "lip" on the edge .

• Member Contributer

Hey Dave - I just saw this thread. Welcome to the forum and congrats. Now we have two forums in common. You'll need to get a GL1000 next!

Tom

• Member Contributer

After seat - Tank.

Good plan ..

Thanks for the tip thx113. Good to know.

Hey Tom...yes. two sites now...I guess the GL1000 is next, lol

I made some progress on the tank...

Today is remove a dent day!!!

15728816257_a3fd2da690_n.jpg

15727087158_e79cdbbb32_n.jpg

15728814917_a342cca1c2_n.jpg

Still looking at some discoloration in the tank...wonder if it needs another metal prep/rust treatment b4 I seal it??

15912633671_9ef86e8c13_n.jpg

yeah...I was thinking of not going all out...but the tank is pretty much the first thing you see...and with the dents - faded paint...rust. Just wanted to do it right the first time.

• Member Contributer

Dave, when rebuilding rear caliper try not to mess up the piston seals as they are no longer available new.

Hmmm. Anyone know what the piston diameter is? The rear caliper must be different than the one on the VF1000F. The fronts are the same on both.

Tom I was wondering the same thing...

Seat progress:

Before:

15218471693_b5d833cc66_n.jpg

After:

15739646608_bcefc3d33e_n.jpg

Just need to tighten up a few spots and finish the band...my sister in law can work a sewing machine!!

15741103609_8c19ea12e6_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I was able to get all the dents out prior to sealing the tank. I wanted to make sure I wasn't pulling on metal after the sealant went in. I ended up buying a stud welder / dent puller from HF. Worked great...

15378016883_169d3e2af4.jpg

15811829487_cd7e56b3fb.jpg

Inside the tank came out better then expected.

Before:

15811797977_a84c4ab2c0.jpg

After:

15996859822_f37e9e2f60.jpg

Tabs are being re installed using Q Bond...So far its a great fit and seems very solid. I have some sanding to do and will prob put on another layer of Q Bond and more sanding prior to paint.

15995558061_c13d3e52e3.jpg

15995640131_87d9da5d9d.jpg

About to get the Carbs str8 next...wish me luck, they came in a box not assembled. Great!!!

• Member Contributer

Happiness is new decals. That's the fun part, the sucky part is laying out the stripes but even that's not too bad. The new tabs look good and once painted, no one will be the wiser. Honda dropped the ball on a few things on this bike and the tail is definitely one place. Those tabs break as well as the small ones in back that hold the taillight trim piece. You also see a ton of mesh side panels with one or both mounting holes broken off. I could go on and on but they're so damn cool, you just forget about those things and fix them with a smile.

It was real bad when I first started....i have never seen that much gunk in a tank. I did two rust blast/flush treatments...MEK once, rinse it like 50 times and pressure washed it . At least now I'm confident that its going to last and I wont have any fuel issues when getting her back up and running. Carbs are a mess.

• Member Contributer

Just an out of the box thought - I removed mine well over a thousand miles ago (albeit a vfr750 tank...) and have not had any issues. My guess is Honda had to plan for high speeds with low fuel (lower static pressure) at some crazy altitude as a worse case and decided to go with the e-pump. I have had my share of low fuel and above speed limit runs, but likely not at the extreme envelope the engineers had to plan for.

But if you're on the restoration path this may be sacrilege...

• Member Contributer

I can't get a good look at my pump, it's low in front of the oil catch tank. Jamie Daughtery swears by the gravity feed but I was never able to get my R to run reliably when I tried it.

From the VF1000R email list earlier this year, the question and a few replies:

Hi gang, is anyone running a gravity feed fuel setup and if so has it been ok running without a fuel filter? Have your carb jets clogged? For those running with a fuel pump what replacement did you use as we can't get the stock one any more? Thanks!!!

1) Any low pressure electronic fuel pump for a carburetor equipped car works fine. Best to match the fuel flow rating. Others modify fuel tap and try gravity. No problems on my 85 VF using an auto pump.

2) Yes, (gravity) for a couple of decades almost! Some of my VF's have a filter, but only the ones that have/had a rusty tank. Remember, the gravity feed Hondas that followed the first gens came from the factory without a filter.

3) Guys, A couple of times since I went "gravity", the flow to one side of the carbs has disappeared; I mean, the two right carbs (front and left) have no fuel in them. I can check that easily by opening the drain bolt.

It´s not related to my ignition problem, as it does not go front or back carbs (paired as ignition) but right side (the furthest from where the fuel line comes in).
I have traced it to a problem in the petcock, as sometimes when open, will see no flow. I have a california tank, with an additional "inlet/outlet) in the bottom front part. Do you think this california inlet/outlet has something to do with the ocassional "no flow"?
I´ve opened the tank to see if it was vacuum lock, vapour lock or similar, but it makes no difference. Suddenly, after a while, all is good. Last time it happened as I filled the tank from a jerrycan, and I moved the petcock from RES to Normal.
4) You may have better luck than i but even with a brass dirt bike filter i still had flow problems under full throttle conditions with gravity feed. No filter may work.

BTW, the VF1000R list is a Yahoo worldwide group. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VF1000R/info

Archived