New To Site: 85 Vf1000R

mp33dave

I looked at my pump...i'm going to get adventurous and try opening it...clean what I can and test it's flow per the manual. If it appears to be working ok i may leave it on. My only real fear is there is crap inside and will want to spew its nastiness into my freshly re-done carbs.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

dont pry it open..

just jump it with a battery and let it run for a min...

then hook up some hoses and pump clean gas from a gas jug into a pan ,so you can see any left over grit that simple.. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard, can't believe I missed this thread.

As far as fuel pumps go a lot of First Gen owners of V4's have used the pump for a 83 Honda Civic 1300cc with good results.

As far as the rear brake goes the calipers for the F and R are different, the reason is that the R got Hondas first vented disc. And that's an issue if yours is not in great shape as they are NLA and nobody I have found offers a pattern part. So you may want to have a good look at it just in case.

While you have the bike apart you may want to consider mounting spools on the rear then buying a paddock stand. Makes life so much easier on a bike with no centerstand. I know my first pic shows the bike on paddles, but that was only for the install, the spools provide a much more secure lift. I threw some on the front axle also just because.

Good luck, I look forward to watching your project.

post-19876-0-50431700-1419185730.jpg

post-19876-0-37759200-1419185862.jpg

post-19876-0-82335300-1419185926.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes, that is the one, the part Numbers matches. I've not had to install one myself but have seen 2 used on First Gens (VF1100C's) with no issues. Can't imagine it would be any issue to retro fit to an R. I will try and send you a link to common problems and their fixes for the First gens in a PM. Not all will apply to the R as its a different animal but there is enough there that will to make it worth your while.

The VF1000R is a great ride. I took one of mine from Maine to Calf and back for a total of 7800 miles back in 2012 and after the first few days of discomfort found it to be a good all rounder. Pretty easy going on the highway and decent enough when I spent a day on 129, 151, 215 276 and Wayah Rd. in western NC.

• Member Contributer

vfrcapn - Sure - send them over...along with a check and we be good!!!

I'll trade you your carb shining tips for some windscreen nuts and rubber isolators? I think I've got a baggy of them floating around, will check.

What a beast! I remember saving every cent I could to buy one of these, when they came out. The sound, alone, was worth every cent. Massive induction noise, during acceleration, and all that whirring and crackling, when you'd shut it down into a corner. I hope it comes together for you.

• Member Contributer

Dave - you probably don't want to hear this, but if the carbs are still out, you might want to replace the coolant tube O-rings. This is the time to do it while they're easy to get at. They're most likely the originals and are brittle and flattened out.

Will do...thanks Tom. I have a list of some other things to address while the carbs are still off. That is one of them now.

Tank getting some attention:

First coat of 2k Epoxy Primer

16128425981_b4ba3fd299_z.jpg

Second coat:

16104541716_6e3d00a58a_z.jpg

Primer is showing me some spots to fix...more to follow

• 1 month later...

I got another tank (non-CA style)...so I'm starting over with stripping it down etc. Boring stuff. Got all my decals in...expensive little buggers. Garage is pretty cold too...so I have not been putting in many hours. Once it warms up a bit I'll be back in FULL swing.

• 1 year later...

Guys,

I realize this is a very old thread, but I´d like to ping in, as I am experiencing the same issues mp33dave had with a California style tank. I bought one several years ago as I replaced my (badly painted) euro tank. Initially al was well, but over the last couple of years I´ve had a sequence of blown fuel pumps, and I´ve experimented with going gravity.

When on gravity, I´ll start having problems with the right hand front and left cylinders not getting fuel. I believe my fuel pumps die from trying to get fuel out of the tank.

I also had a leaking fuel petcock, that I replaced for a new one. I did not get any flow from the tank until I filled it up, and plugged it into the pump suction side. After that, it does flow freely.

Could someone direct me to some solution? Over the rest of the week I am going to try to go through the tank, and see if it works with low fuel. Not sure, however, how last the pump will last (currently using a VFR750 one).

Cheers.

Carlos

Archived