Dyno Tuning- 5Th Gen Akrapovic Slip On Exhaust With Cat Removed

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

When I purchased my '01 it had a Two Brothers low mount slip on and the catalytic (stock for '01) headers with a Power Commander 3 already installed.

I picked up an Akrapovic slip on and a set of cat-less headers and finally had a chance to install them. I stuck with the PC3. Unfortunately the PC5 supposedly doesn't work on the Gen 5 easily.

The bike ran OK, but was difficult to start as the ECM was trying to dump extra fuel. It also had more on/ off throttle abruptness than I cared for.

Phil from Mounds Motorsports got it running this week like a champ.

Horsepower= 99.77 @ 10,000 rpm

Torque= 53.48 @ 9,000 rpm

pretty much the ideal air/fuel ratio 13.51. This is really where the tuning made the biggest improvement.

The bike fires up immediately and has a noticeably smoother power delivery. The on/ off abruptness of the throttle seems to be improved as well.

All in all, time well spent. I just wish that I had done it during the season so that I could enjoy it!

VFR01_Mounds Dyno.pdf

• Member Contributer

Cool beans! I had mine dyno'ed (not tuned) back nearly 10 years ago with the Staintune and nothing else. I think it was 98hp. I was talking to a shop owner here in town the other day about a VFR project and he said when he had his he dyno'ed at 106 or something. I seriously think he misremembered his numbers from a few years ago! I mean Mohawk put in custom cams to get his (I think it was) 110!

I think Ken (Wera803) has one of the smoothest on/off throttle transitions I've ridden in a 5G. But his was just a downloaded map, from what I recall.

Maybe if this Tyga headers thing gets off the ground I'll look into the whole tuning aspect. 95k miles without, though. I think the '98-'99 were a little smoother overall. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Good number for a low mod bike. Stock is about 95whp on average. 6th gens with similar mods make around 5hp more on the dyno.

Mine's up to 112whp with off the mark fuelling. Now I have the Rapid bike Racing, with ignition and fuelling adjustment fitted I expect that tuned on high octane fuel to do better, Then there's a Two Brothers racing full system waiting in the wings :) Expect 120-125whp once all sorted :)

I think Ken (Wera803) has one of the smoothest on/off throttle transitions I've ridden in a 5G. But his was just a downloaded map, from what I recall.

Mine was actually 2 downloaded maps that I combined. I took the richest values from both maps and combined them. I had comments from people behind me smelling fuel and tasting it.

I then took the same two maps and took the lean values of both and made a map. The lean combo is what you rode. Of course the lean values are still richer than the stock map.

• Member Contributer

Mine was actually 2 downloaded maps that I combined. I took the richest values from both maps and combined them. I had comments from people behind me smelling fuel and tasting it.

I then took the same two maps and took the lean values of both and made a map. The lean combo is what you rode. Of course the lean values are still richer than the stock map.

Next time you go to Indy I guess you'll have to ride deltaboxii's VFR to compare! :beer:

• Member Contributer

I would love to get your opinion on it Ken. Also happy to share my mapping with you that Phil did on mine. I learned quite a bit from watching him tune it. Was also nice of Phil to share with me what /why he was doing what he was doing and putting it into layman's terms for the FI tuning ignorant such as me.

My overall goal was for driveability, which seems to be achieved. I wish I could say more about the on/ off throttle tuning for a comparison with Ken, but we just got 4 inches of snow so my "seat o' the pants" verdict will have to wait a bit longer. Getting to almost 100 ponies and 53 ft. lbs of torque was a bonus!

Erik

Archived