Sidewinder Sprockets Word Of Warning

CandyRedRC46

If you have ever stumbled across this page,

http://sidewindersprockets.com/

Their advertising looks too good to be true, and apparently rightfully so...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sidewinder-Sprockets-Failures/715008641920953?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

(Edit) I'm out a decent chunk of change because of them. Their master clips fail all the time, smart 2 chains spit rollers after a few thousand miles and sprockets are made of butter. Huge waste of money.

Guest Recalcitrance

Do you have personal experience with their products or are you putting a company down based on the experience of a single person on Facebook?

VFRD does not support flaming corporations. Personal experience could be expressed with unfavorable outcomes but openly discounting a company with only third party information is not encouraged.

The word of warning is appreciated but please clarify your relationship or personal experience with said company and their products or else this thread will be subject to deletion. Thank you.

• Member Contributer

Do you have personal experience with their products or are you putting a company down based on the experience of a single person on Facebook?

VFRD does not support flaming corporations. Personal experience could be expressed with unfavorable outcomes but openly discounting a company with only third party information is not encouraged.

The word of warning is appreciated but please clarify your relationship or personal experience with said company and their products or else this thread will be subject to deletion. Thank you.

+1 I remember this same conversation a year ago or so.

If I remember correctly you order a set of sprockets .

Yeah I'm out a decent chunk of change because of them. Their master clips fail all the time, smart 2 chains spit rollers after a few thousand miles and sprockets are made of butter. Huge waste of money.

Guest Recalcitrance

TBH, If I ever came across that website, I'd know from looking at it that I'm probably better off buying elsewhere :P

+1. I wouldn't give them a moment's consideration.

Some of us adhere, regardless of pocketbooks, to the old standard: NEVER GO CHEAP on Chains, Brakes, Sprockets, or Tires.

• Like 1

I was just on a major quest to shed weight and the thought of never having to buy another sprocket again sold me.

Your not going to beat the oem steel sprocket longevity(ever) its futile. Marketing and cool colors will not change that . Sidewinder built its reputation of T7076 aluminum sprockets, nice for weight but offer nothing compared to even cheap steel in longevity.

Edited by spud786

TBH, If I ever came across that website, I'd know from looking at it that I'm probably better off buying elsewhere :P

+1. I wouldn't give them a moment's consideration.

Some of us adhere, regardless of pocketbooks, to the old standard: NEVER GO CHEAP on Chains, Brakes, Sprockets, or Tires.

It wasn't going cheap. They are much more expensive than OEM.

I was just on a major quest to shed weight and the thought of never having to buy another sprocket again sold me.

Your not going to beat the oem steel sprocket longevity(ever) its futile. Marketing and cool colors will not change that . Sidewinder built its reputation of T7076 aluminum sprockets, nice for weight but offer nothing compared to even cheap steel in longevity.
Their whole argument was that their sprockets were manufactured out of titanium moly which was supposedly twice as hard as steel. But it was all bs.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of metric riders are cheap. They purchase cheap parts, they expect cheap service.

One of the things I like like most about Harley owners.

Money is not an object.

I have been gaining more Harley riders at the house because they have heard that I will baby their machine afford-ably.

And they reward me handsomely for my efforts. I have even lessened the amount of HD bashing which I do.

I have had Sportbike riders try to haggle with me over my tire and install prices.

Then they get their feelings hurt when I tell them to "F - Off!" I save most riders 100.00+ over a dealer, on two tires and that is not enough for some.

Now my shameless plug:

If you are not using http://www.sprocketcenter.comyou are just paying too much.

The guy who owns Sprocket Center absolutely cares about riders. I give him as much business as I can send his way.

Just my way of showing my appreciation for his labors.

• Member Contributer

Agreed! Here's the first clue.

post-23057-0-92826800-1415726788.png

• Member Contributer

What me YOU are you talking about?!?

I am curious to know what the issue is. Ti-Moly is a bit vague. Depending on the grade, they really should last dam near forever. Obviously they don't.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, the vast majority of metric riders are cheap. They purchase cheap parts, they expect cheap service.

One of the things I like like most about Harley owners.

Money is not an object.

I have been gaining more Harley riders at the house because they have heard that I will baby their machine afford-ably.

And they reward me handsomely for my efforts. I have even lessened the amount of HD bashing which I do.

I have had Sportbike riders try to haggle with me over my tire and install prices.

Then they get their feelings hurt when I tell them to "F - Off!" I save most riders 100.00+ over a dealer, on two tires and that is not enough for some.

Now my shameless plug:

If you are not using http://www.sprocketcenter.comyou are just paying too much.

The guy who owns Sprocket Center absolutely cares about riders. I give him as much business as I can send his way.

Just my way of showing my appreciation for his labors.

Yea right. I haven't overheard a hundred conversations from HD riders over the years at Sturgis, the J&P Cycles rally, Daytona and Biketoberfest from HD riders whining about prices. They especially whine about tire prices. The difference is as long as it has "the logo"-the Bar and Shield on it- they don't mind paying more. They seem to actually WANT to pay more when it is branded HD.

Hell, I think HD is missing the boat by not selling a turd in box stamped with the HD logo. Those guys would even buy that ...happily. What a stocking stuffer that would be for your favorite HD rider :)

So you can say that the metric sportbike guys are cheap but everyone is looking for a deal these days. I don't care if you are a VET C motocross racer, a sportbike squid, or a wannabee SOA flaming d-bag edition HD rider. Everyone wants a deal.

• Member Contributer

My Sprocket Story...

There is an abundance of suppliers that offer RC45 aftermarket

sprockets but only in in light weight 7075 T6 aluminum... These

aluminum sprockets are anodized with an marvelous hard coating but

once the hard coat is gone rapid wear occurs... it's not durable

enough to last as long as steel... If I wanted a 43T 525 steel RC45

sprocket I had to modified a 43T 525 Kawasaki ZX7R sprocket to fit

Mr.RC45's hub... but I trimmed enough weight off the steel to come

withing 7 ounces of matching the aluminum so now I have the mileage

expectations of steel and the lightest of aluminum...

My point is if you trimmed the stock Honda steel sprocket you might come

with in the lightness of aluminum and preserve your mileage expectations...

Modified ZX7R Steel Sprocket

post-3131-0-47431100-1415747638.jpg

It fits!!!

post-3131-0-94115100-1415747698.jpg

2lb 6oz Stock VFR sprocket

post-3131-0-07812200-1415747730.jpg

• Like 1

Yea right. I haven't overheard a hundred conversations from HD riders over the years at Sturgis, the J&P Cycles rally, Daytona and Biketoberfest from HD riders whining about prices. They especially whine about tire prices. The difference is as long as it has "the logo"-the Bar and Shield on it- they don't mind paying more. They seem to actually WANT to pay more when it is branded HD.

Hell, I think HD is missing the boat by not selling a turd in box stamped with the HD logo. Those guys would even buy that ...happily. What a stocking stuffer that would be for your favorite HD rider :)

So you can say that the metric sportbike guys are cheap but everyone is looking for a deal these days. I don't care if you are a VET C motocross racer, a sportbike squid, or a wannabee SOA flaming d-bag edition HD rider. Everyone wants a deal.

Your rant doesn't hold water here.

Also your rant does fit the whining which I often here from Metric owners.

Almost the same words.

The HD guys say please and thank you.

When I give them a price they don't even blink an eye.

When they pay there is always a large tip. I am not sourcing my personal intel from one HD owner.

So far it has been all of them. ALL. I have worked on more HD's in the last year than metrics.

And since you don't know me, I am not a business and I wrench on a lot of bikes.

I will continue to support HD owners.

They pay without complaining about how poor they are like you just did.

Honda could market their swag just like HD does, but guys like you would refuse to buy a 200.00 leather Honda jacket and wear it to dinner.

If you want to ride you have to be willing to shell out some cash for quality goods and services.

You get what you pay for in this world.

Edited by Guest

Guest Recalcitrance

This is turning into a (removed) show. I was just trying to warn you guys to stay away from this company.

And the warning (and clarification) is much appreciated. Unfortunately, threads can turn ugly despite the initial positive intention. :(

Will keep an eye on the thread. No good deed goes unpunished. :(

• Like 1

Half of this rants don't even make sense. Like I deserved to get ripped off because I bought cheap sprockets. These sprockets actually cost about double what a quality DID kit costs.... But the promises of light weight and lifetime warranty made it sound like a good idea. Only after discovering that the sprockets and chains only last about 5000 miles and the warranty is bogus does this sound like a terrible idea. The under construction sign was not there a year ago when I ordered....