How Much Power Should I Expect - Vfr 2009

adamv

Hi All,

Probably a strange question I know. The reason I ask is that I understand that lack of power can be a sign of valve trouble. I've never ridden another VFR before, and have purchased mine second hand so i have no idea what to compare it to.

I was wonder how much power you guys get out of your VFR 2009. I notice in first gear, if I pull back on the throttle to go all the way to ~55mph / ~90kph, the front wheel almost comes off the ground (or may raise an inch or two depending on circumstances) around mid rev range. (Crude way of measurement I know - but I don't have access to a dyno :-) )

Does this sound 'about' right?

Cheers

Hi All,

Probably a strange question I know. The reason I ask is that I understand that lack of power can be a sign of valve trouble. I've never ridden another VFR before, and have purchased mine second hand so i have no idea what to compare it to.

I was wonder how much power you guys get out of your VFR 2009. I notice in first gear, if I pull back on the throttle to go all the way to ~55mph / ~90kph, the front wheel almost comes off the ground (or may raise an inch or two depending on circumstances) around mid rev range. (Crude way of measurement I know - but I don't have access to a dyno :-) )

Cheers

I've had to back off the throttle in first because the front wheel came up abit too much when vtec kicked in. (Yo)

Yours sounds about right

Are you feeling like it doesnt have enough power?

On paper 60mph should take around 3 seconds and 0-120mph should be about 10 seconds. If that helps.

How many miles (or kilometers) are on your VFR? And do you know if the previous owner(s) ever performed a valve inspection, or had it done at a shop?

Very, very few VFRs experience valve issues, including 6th gen. bikes. Chances are your bike is fine.

Your best bet might be finding another 6th gen. owner within riding distance of where you live, and swapping bikes for a quick ride for both of you to evaluate the other bikes.

This really is a great friendly forum! Thanks for the replies guys...

I've had to back off the throttle in first because the front wheel came up abit too much when vtec kicked in. (Yo)

Yours sounds about right

Are you feeling like it doesnt have enough power?

On paper 60mph should take around 3 seconds and 0-120mph should be about 10 seconds. If that helps.

I don't think I've ever had the front wheel come up like you have before... Maybe the throttle twists back further than I'm trying? :)

As for feeling like it doesn't have enough power - I'm not sure what enough power feels like. This is my first road bike and I've never ridden another VFR before, hence the question.

I know the 'front wheelie' test probably isn't really accurate - but am just wondering when people say that out of spec valves will cause loss of power how much power loss they're talking about. Is it significant - or just a little bit.

(ie, if you can get the front wheel right up under power, and it dropped to only a bit - would that be valves, or if valves were out would it more likely be something a lot more - like feeling like it's lacking 30% power - something significant in the power loss)...

How many miles (or kilometers) are on your VFR? And do you know if the previous owner(s) ever performed a valve inspection, or had it done at a shop?

Very, very few VFRs experience valve issues, including 6th gen. bikes. Chances are your bike is fine.

Your best bet might be finding another 6th gen. owner within riding distance of where you live, and swapping bikes for a quick ride for both of you to evaluate the other bikes.

Around 15,000kms on my VFR at the moment (provided the kms are legit. The bike was an import and had the dash changed over accordingly, so the kms were reset. The shop who imported it informed me of the original kms and the bike does look very clean (except for 1 scratch on the upper fender caused by some carelessness by the looks of it and a second minor scratch on another fender) so I'm hoping the kms are right and correct.

No valve inspection done yet. Good idea re the bike swap - I'll see if I can find another owner, willing to let me ride his pride and joy.

Not sure whether to get a valve inspection or not. I'm one of those 'if it ain't broke, don't' fix it' kinda guys. Had too many experiences where something has been working fine, but due for an overhaul service and when they come back they start to fail. (Not engines - but other things) which has left me kinda like - don't open it if it's not required. ;)

Yeah. I've not done my valve service either. Every mechanic I've spoken to has told me not to do it as it might cause more problems than its worth, and theyre pretty much never out of tolerance anyway.

Re power. Its difficult to say over a forum isnt it aha.

I never really find the viffer lacking power. It perhaps doesnt pull from lower revs in 6th gear as id like, but knock it down to 5th and it soon picks up.

I rarely use 6th gear unless im cruising at 50-60mph now.

I guess the front wheel coming up also depends how quick you let the clutch out...

I couldnt say how far it came up when i gave it the beans away from a revving Audi Quattro at the lights, but i did let off as it felt quite high haha. Thinking about it, i should of probably short shifted into second. (And for the record. It left that audi miles and miles behind haha)

Answer #1. If you are worried about performance loss from valve clearances closing up do a compression test (easier than a valve clearance check) If compression on any cylinder is out of recommended bounds squirt a touch of oil into each cylinder & check again. If the cylinders previously under spec come up to spec after the oil squirt then your rings are shot, if it remains under spec then a valve clearance has closed up. Remember an engine with valve clearances tight enough to hold a valve off its seat will be difficult to start and idle poorly well before a power loss becomes apparent.

Answer #2 Dyno your bike. The list is a USA centric list & there is a difference in spec between the USA & Euro/Aus engines so asking the list what power you should have have is fruitless

• Member Contributer

By the initial post it sounds about right. Roll-on throttle wide open in first will just lift the front and only within the higher rpm. Of course your weight distribution will have a huge impact, so I'm talking about leaning into it. Of course if you are a 220+ pounder ...

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it's about right then. My tests are with rolling on the throttle - no sudden jabs. (I guess that's how you get it to mono if you're that way inclined).

For me it seems like the perfect power - enough for a bit of a squirt, but not enough to get me into real trouble. (I wouldn't know the first thing about what to do if the wheel came right off the ground :) )

Hi All,

Cheers

Id say that sounds about right, with stock gearing . Normally I clutch it up if try the raise the front wheel.

But yes your question is a little strange and so is running the vfr out to 55 or 60 mph in first gear on a routine basis

• Member Contributer

" The bike was an import and had the dash changed over accordingly, so the kms were reset."

Imported from where ? Your sig says you are in Australia, most imports there are from Japan. Japan has a 75horse limit on big bikes & the VFR was available there ! Check your bikes history, the chassis number will give first country of sale info. If Japan it's restricted by a different ECU I believe, so borrow an Australian model one or buy a secondhand one & see how it goes.

" The bike was an import and had the dash changed over accordingly, so the kms were reset."

Imported from where ? Your sig says you are in Australia, most imports there are from Japan. Japan has a 75horse limit on big bikes & the VFR was available there ! Check your bikes history, the chassis number will give first country of sale info. If Japan it's restricted by a different ECU I believe, so borrow an Australian model one or buy a secondhand one & see how it goes.

Thats interesting.

Maybe the OP could check his ECU part number against one provided by a dealer or such like?

Archived