What Would You Do?

Terry

• Member Contributer

So I've got a mint condition 5th gen which (aside from its thirst) runs great with 83000 km, new tyres and chain, good discs and brakes. But on our eBay equivalent there's a 5th gen 50th anniversary Honda Britain special that only has 3500 km (yep 2000 miles). These were sold with custom paint, a Remus pipe and Proflex shock. See the pic of a mint example. 94cd0085b63fc45d6214afa1fbe23fdd.jpg

I've looked this over today and it is genuine and generally mint but has an internally rusty tank and has fallen over causing damage to the top fairing foot peg and tail. I reckon I'd spend US$2000 by the time I buy it, sell my current ride and fix up the defects. I'd also need to find new pillion pegs and mount.

So...what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

At 83000kms, your bike is most likely depreciated at far as it's going to get. As we all know, it'll go 2x that and then some.

Now, if you'd like a newer bike ...

• Member Contributer

At 83000kms, your bike is most likely depreciated at far as it's going to get. As we all know, it'll go 2x that and then some.

Now, if you'd like a newer bike ...

Thank you, that's no help at all!

Actually when I rode the other bike it wasn't noticeably newer; perhaps the clutch felt nicer but otherwise my older but well loved bike was just as nice/smooth/powerful. They do age well!

• Member Contributer

Never heard of a Honda Britain Special Edition. I doubt if it came from the factory as such. Maybe Honda UK or an enterprising dealer saw a chance to flog a few more 5th gens.

Pipe, shock, paint (rearsets?) you can all add yourself.

Rusty tank? would be very wary now...

They probably ask a premium "collectable" price.....

Stick with your own ride and spend the money on nice riding gear and fuel/motel for a mc trip!

• Member Contributer

Never heard of a Honda Britain Special Edition. I doubt if it came from the factory as such. Maybe Honda UK or an enterprising dealer saw a chance to flog a few more 5th gens.

Pipe, shock, paint (rearsets?) you can all add yourself.

They probably ask a premium "collectable" price.....

Stick with your own ride and spend the money on nice riding gear and fuel/motel for a mc trip!

No I have done my research, and it is kosher. Honda Britain also did a 50th anniversary CBR600, CBR1100 and Fireblade in 1998. But you are right, it is just a 5th gen with a few add-ons, and I already have a Delkevic pipe and CBR929 shock, and no rust in my tank!

Why would you want to exchange your current "mint" bike for a questionable, rusted tank , broken faring. When a seller claims the bike "fell over" you can almost be sure it's worse. Never buy a bike with a rusted tank. Run from this bike and forget you ever saw it.

• Member Contributer

Honda Britain, was the UK Honda importer, they did a 50th anniversary special of a few bikes, in s very limitied number, I think it was 50, so they are rare & should have Yoke number & a certificate from Honda Britain.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19768/lot/235/

http://www.simonevans.co.uk/v-four/anniversaryvfr.htm

As far as the tank goes, as these were normal red bikes that Honda Britain gave to one of the race teams I think to build for them, so any old standard tank will do.

That said, to remove the fuel pump & clean & reseal the tank is NOT a difficult job.

• Member Contributer

I would keep your existing VFR and buy the other one as a project. You should be able to get the bike for a song and dance considering the rust and history. good luck!

Meh. If it were in mint condition I'd probably bite. But since it's not, I'd skip it and use the money to put a couple highly desirable mods into your current bike, if there are any you'd like. Suspension, heated grips, powerlet, frame sliders, etc. usually top the list for most people.

I'm also usually pretty wary of bikes that have mostly sit for long periods of time. I recently put 2100 miles on my VFR in 5 days. Here's a bike that is ~15 years old with that many miles. It's not good for them to sit around like that, as evidenced by the rusty tank. :sad:

• Member Contributer

And why fit a special rear shock if you are leaving the front "as is"....

Mind you, it is a bit prettier than the official special edition 5th gen... (imho)

IMG_6035_1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went to see an 01 5th gen that had 8500 miles,on the test ride it felt all wrong,the back end felt squirrely,dunno if it was the shock or whatever but I didn't like it at all,the electrics also seemed a bit dodgy,the dash lights seemed very dim and I just got the feel it was a bike that hadn't been looked after,fork seals were leaking too,it was silver as well and I would prefer red.

I know I could sort the suspension out but I'd rather buy a bike that's been ridden,so I passed it up.

Going to see an 03 vtec on Monday so I can see what that is like,I'm in no rush but I have the cash ready when the right bike comes up.It's a good time to buy so I'm going to shop around.

Those anniversary bikes just don't look right to me.

• Member Contributer

Best to wait till there is no question. That was a parallel move or below. Logically you should be looking at one of the newer generations to cross your path. Good hunting!

• Member Contributer

I realize that paint jobs are a very subjective thing, but that one just doesn't grab me.

The nose portion isn't bad, but the back panel treatment is very unattractive to me.

On the plus side, it looks like these bikes also got custom adjustable rearsets.

So, Remus pipe, rearsets, shock and low miles versus repairs to tank/body panels, replace footpeg and find pillion hardware.

The tank can be swapped out, but a rusty tank might be indicative of other problems in the fuel system.
Is it in running condition? If not, do you know how long it's been sitting?

• Member Contributer

Seems like if one wanted that paint scheme it would be pretty easy to replicate - and the pipe and shock (or highly similar) could be sourced too. The rear sets and the 50th Ann graphics maybe not so much. I would buy this bike if I were a collector - as in Mohawk's 2nd link (above) and valued the originality. As a daily rider I would view it like any other bike and only buy it if I could get it cheap enough to do the necessary repairs. Just my $.02.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I'm still tempted but I think I need to drop my offering price to make allowances for the defects. Putting a value on the bike is tricky; yes the running gear is practically new and the bike sounds and rides as it should, so I could compare it to a low mileage 6th gen, but having sat around with little or no use I expect there could be lots of little electrical gremlins as well as the work needed on the tank insides.

The other factor for me is "why bother getting a low mileage bike"? I'm 50 and will be lucky to do 5000km per year, so if I get another 50000km out of my current ride that should be plenty before I move on to something more "age appropriate".

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I'm still tempted but I think I need to drop my offering price to make allowances for the defects. Putting a value on the bike is tricky; yes the running gear is practically new and the bike sounds and rides as it should, so I could compare it to a low mileage 6th gen, but having sat around with little or no use I expect there could be lots of little electrical gremlins as well as the work needed on the tank insides.

The other factor for me is "why bother getting a low mileage bike"? I'm 50 and will be lucky to do 5000km per year, so if I get another 50000km out of my current ride that should be plenty before I move on to something more "age appropriate".

"Age appropriate" is for shirts and pants!! Stop that talk. Get what you want to ride.

• Member Contributer

"Age appropriate" is for shirts and pants!! Stop that talk. Get what you want to ride.

You are quite right. Sorry for my blasphemy.

post-22267-0-01425700-1414296280.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes I came to the same conclusion. I'm sticking with what I know. My lovely wife didn't help though as she thought I could buy the other one as a project. She is a gem!

Archived