Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest

timmythecop

After struggling with an old Widder vest for 2 winters (not very warm, broke often), I decided to finally spend a little wedge and buy something current. A quick trip ro eBay and I found a new in the package Tourmaster Synergy vest for 100 bones shipped. Be mindfull that they have superseeded tis model with the Synergy 2.0, so maybe why that is why it was cheap.

mvN4KdL_7CdTeonhZ4XWzkw.jpg

The first thing you may notice is that the heat controller is built in, attached and included. This is a plus because alot of these things require an additional purchase of a heatroller for around 100 bucks. The connectors are coax, but that really doesnt matter because adaptor cables are available everywhere.

I bought a large and in retrospect I think it is a little tiny bit big because a heated vest should be snug. Anyway, I wired it up and went for a spin. The vest alone is a taffita material and very light. The heating elements are carbon fibre strand. That said it is increadibly warm before you even turn it on. My first ride was when it was rainy, dark and 50 degrees F. Before I got tot he end of the driveway, I stopped and lowered it from high to low. (the controller has Red, Orange, and Yellow LEDs for Hi, Medium and Low settings. I rode 150 yards and turned it off. MAN this thing is warm.

Th only thing I do not like is the power lead is only about 3" long so it is a little fiddly with the connection. I solved this by ordering a 12" "pass-through" I place the 12" cable in the leg zipper of my oversuit and connect one side to the vest and the other to the battery lead. The 12" cable then stays put when off the bike.

I later used it on a ride where it was 45 degrees with only a t-shirt on underneath on low. Still just a tad too warm, but livable. I cant wait to use this thing when it gets closer to freezing. All in all, great price, great garment and a good reputation, so Woot!

I used my old Widder controller to power my heated grips. The Widder controller is a box with a dial that has a detent for off and increasing warmth as you turn it to the right. Works great and now I have more that just Hi and Low on my Symtec grips. Woot again.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the purchase!!!! Glad to see it works. Been thinking about it but I only need another sweater since we do not really have winters here.

Happy riding now!!

C

This is an excellent vest. The elastic side panels are great if the vest is tight, not your case but now you can feel free to expand. many had issues with the controller stalk, including me. I could never find a satisfactory place to position it. I have gone to a FirstGear HeatTroller and they also supply a shunt plug to screw into the old controller stalk (needed to jumper the circuit). I find the coaxial DC plugs to be the ultimate accessory plug, tourmaster has many adaptors, splitters, and curly extensions.

Never be cold again.

• Member Contributer

I have a spare Powerlet controller (for heated gloves) if you can use it

top right in this picture

$T2eC16J,!ykE9s7tw!7KBQ2J2QGkQ!~~60_35.J

free for a good mule!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I've had a Tourmaster vest for years. One of the best accessory purchases I've ever made for a motorcycle! I've lost weight in the past couple of seasons, so I replaced it with the Synergy 2.0 jacket liner with heated collar. Like Timmy found, they run large. It is best to try one on for fit. Ideally, you want the side elastic stretched a little for a snug fit.

Ive been running the synergy vest for several years. The only issue was the early models had controller failures, and they were redesigned and under warranty. I've never had any problem with mine. I've been wanting to get the full jacket, maybe this year I will. But as far as Im concerned its the best riding friend you'll ever have.

As far as the connection, I tie Velcro on both sides of the connection, keeps them together nicely

• 2 weeks later...

I love this vest. Light, easy to pack. Doesn't draw much current. Keeping your core warm is the main thing, and this vest does the trick.

You want a thin layer between you and the vest, I usually wear a light weight polypro long-sleeve tshirt as the base layer. Vest right over that. Most recently I've been wearing a North Face windblocker jacket over that. Lightweight, stretchy, fits under your motorcycle jacket well. Seals out all the drafts. Nice and toasty without feeling like the Michelin man.

The controller is poorly designed. Don't run into a tree while you're fiddling with it.

I have the Jacket, Pants and gloves.

I crashed in them a few years ago and destroyed the controller.

My Textile gear protected the rest of the heated gear.

I contacted TourMaster and they sent me a new controller on their dime.

I am a forever customer of theirs now.

Archived