Barking Airbox!

Terry

• Member Contributer

A question for fellow 5th gen owners.

My bike makes a surprisingly sharp sound from the airbox around 5-6000 rpm. She's sweet running below this, and likewise at high rpm, but at these revs there is a sudden sharp extra sound. I generally ride with earplugs in but left them out recently and was quite surprised at what I heard. I've ridden a couple of 6th gens and the sound was not unlike when the VTEC system activates and there is a sense of extra urgency and more noise.

I assume this is probably the effect of the flapper valve opening, and I am running a K&N filter which might change the acoustics somewhat. Is what I describe normal for others?

I know posts aren't usually appreciated without pictures so....um...I found this in my airbox? (maybe I should have used a picture of a Boxer then...).

post-22267-0-82892100-1414034796.jpg

• Member Contributer

I assume this is probably the effect of the flapper valve opening, and I am running a K&N filter which might change the acoustics somewhat....

I think you answered your own question...

I don't hear it at all on my Y2K...

No flapper :goofy:

• Member Contributer

You've never ridden a Ducati have you?

what do you mean?

i've got a '07 Ducati Monster S2R1000 and not exactly sure how you relating this airbox noise to a Ducati?!

Most Ducatis make all kinds of bizarre air box noises depending on RPM, and throttle opening. It's part of the "character".

i haven't really noticed any observed "bizzare" air box noise on my Monster

add the dry clutch...... :cool:

thats by far the loudest/worst (depending on how u see it)

when i first got my Ducati i was kinda attracted to the loud noise of the open dry clutch, just for sake of some thats "different" but that soon faded away after a dozen of rides or so, and i just put a stock closed clutch cover on and now its quite-ish, with that being said, the Ducati Monster S2R1000 is NOWHERE as smooth, comfortable or quite as the 14 years old VFR :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I haven't heard any noise from the clutch on the ST4 or my neighbor's 900SS while moving at speed. Yeah they do overwhelm the air box, and valve train noises at idle. Ridden in anger it's all air box, and exhaust.

• Member Contributer

How did this thread get hijacked by Italian twins???? I expected more of my fellow Vifferati.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived