Ride Like Your Invisible

jugornot

Proof that if you ride a bike you are invisible if you ride even if you are a cop.

Link

This video has been up for a while. It just came to me today that she was unaware that a cop was sitting beside her. How did she look past him to know it was safe to run the red. Hope he got a BJ out of it she deserved some cruel and unusual punishment. The twit.

Proof exists. All we need to do is put our soldiers on bikes and let them invade. Get rid of the camos. Want to go on a panty raid get a bike. Need to hide from a bill collector sit on your bike.

I once thought putting extra lights might make me more visible but at least blue ones don't work.

Bill

• Member Contributer

Too funny! Goes to prove the mentality of people in cars that you hope will use good judgement while sharing the road with you.

He needed a few seconds to realize that it just happened. LOL

• Member Contributer

I've always figured if people will pull out in front of semi trailers, and fire engines, I don't stand much of chance hoping they'll see l'il ol' me.

Jeez, this "cagers vs motorcycles" thing makes no sense. How many people here are also car drivers.? Motorcycle riders are just as capable of driving like fools, or just making mistakes. I see motorcyclists every day doing some of the stupidest things

If one feels like they're always being threatened by the rest of the traffic then they probably shouldn't be on a motorcycle.

95% of people are poor drivers or riders, they make mistakes, they go through red lights and they cut people off. I ride through all this all the time and never feel threatened, and I'm no better a driver/rider than anyone else.

Oh, and for the misogynists, if a woman makes a mistake that doesn't mean she has to give forced BJs and be punished, she gets a ticket, just like men.

Ride like you understand traffic and human nature

• Member Contributer

Jeez, this "cagers vs motorcycles" thing makes no sense. How many people here are also car drivers.? Motorcycle riders are just as capable of driving like fools, or just making mistakes. I see motorcyclists every day doing some of the stupidest things

If one feels like they're always being threatened by the rest of the traffic then they probably shouldn't be on a motorcycle.

95% of people are poor drivers or riders, they make mistakes, they go through red lights and they cut people off. I ride through all this all the time and never feel threatened, and I'm no better a driver/rider than anyone else.

Oh, and for the misogynists, if a woman makes a mistake that doesn't mean she has to give forced BJs and be punished, she gets a ticket, just like men.

Ride like you understand traffic and human nature

Ok, now I am confused! WHAT? Lol

• Member Contributer

Riding like you are invisible is sound policy. It was the first safety tip I received when I started riding about 34 years ago. As far as the video. Stuff like that happens all the time so never assume you have the right of way just because your light is green.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

thankfully, I mainly ride on uncrowded backroads and do assume that I'm invisible and the cage drivers are going to drive on as if I'm not there. When they do see me and wait before pulling out , I always give them a wave of gratitude. It's all part of the experience and it's your job as riders to see all and be ready to act @ all times. I've heard riders explain that a car pulled out or turned left right in front of them and caused the wreck, whereas I feel the bike rider wasn't doing his job and should have seen the car, what direction his wheels were turned and been ready to react.

• Member Contributer

I am invisible. And everyone is out to kill me.

It's not paranoia if it's true!

I don't assume that I'm a better driver than everyone else (well, maybe a little ... :wink: ), but when I'm on the bike I'm acutely aware that if we disagree I'll lose. Therefore I'm actively scanning and thinking ahead. I believe this makes me a better car driver (at least, in summer when I'm also on the bike a lot), because I don't turn off the shoulder checks and active scanning when in the car. Things do slide over the long, bikeless winter, however. :sad:

• Member Contributer

I do believe however that the deer actually do see us at all times - they're suicidal and intentionally attempting to jump out in front of us! :dry:

• Member Contributer

I do believe however that the deer actually do see us at all times - they're suicidal and intentionally attempting to jump out in front of us! :dry:

I'll second that! And they seem particular to fifth gens.

• 10 months later...

I've always ridden with the thought that other drivers don't know I am there. I also always have an escape plan. Example: If I'm riding down the freeway in heavy traffic in the left lane, passing a car in the center lane, I already have an escape plan to the paved shoulder (if necessary) if they start to change lanes toward me (has happened several times). It's just a habit I got into and now it's just normal thinking. Has saved me a few times. It's very comforting to already know what you need to do in the event of an unplanned move by someone else, then you execute it without any drama.

RC51Jim I agree with you, and always did this in the car! I still consider the car very, very dangerous. The fact is that most drivers do the opposite, they push safety to its absolute limit via tailgating, not leaving an out, etc.

One actual problem is the safety of cars. The more they are made "safe", the more people push cars to the limit in an actual attempt to make them un-safe again. This is the "safety is an illusion" tenet. I suspect that there would be be zero deaths if we all drove around in cardboard boxes, because people would never do anything unsafe.

MaxSwell, one incident from last year keeps coming to my mind, I guess as a good reminder-nightmare. I was doing the speed limit and paying close attention at about 8 PM. It was nearly but not quite completely dark. I passed a deer, but the first time I saw it was when I was right next to it. SCARY! Since he did not intentionally assassinate me, and he could have, I can only suspect that the deer in my area prefer the 6th gen. I suspect that our dear somehow learned that fifth gens should be preserved for humanity. So I got that going for me.

Even though I mentally prepare for emergencies, there's always a situation you can't prepare for. Case in point: I was riding home at night down a mostly unpopulated 2 lane road through farm country. I was doing slightly over the limit but felt comfortable. Came around a slight curve then a slight dip in the road. Saw something up ahead through the thin brush on the side of the road, wasn't sure of what. Only had a second to think about it, but it was a car backing out of a driveway right across the entire 2 lanes. I was going 60-70mph and didn't even have time to brake. He didn't see me coming because of the curve/dip, and I didn't see him because of the brush. Fortunately, he quickly accelerated back into the drive as I went by. There was no out for me, and if he hadn't thought to pull back in quickly I wouldn't be writing this. I think the whole event only took about 3 seconds. Gives me chills every time I think about it.

Did you stop and kiss him (hopefully her)?

That is where the system fails. There should be distinct signage there. However, what typically drives signs is accidents. The municipality might require 5 accidents on that spot, and only that would trigger signage to slow the traffic, warn about the dip, hidden driveway, etc. I don't know about you, but I have always taken "hidden driveway" signs very seriously!

• Member Contributer

A google search yields a lot of statistics. Here is one I found for 2004 - 2005:

Worst states for deer collisions based on total number of claims filed with one of the countries largest auto insurers:

1) Pennsylvania
2) Michigan
3) Illinois
4) Ohio
5) Georgia
6) Minnesota
7) Virginia
8) Indiana
9) Texas
10) Wisconsin

My first event was in Illinois (on I74 in Urbana- 65mph - five days in hospital, eight broken bones, three surgeries) , the second, 11 months later was a little south of Duluth in Minnesota (on a 2-lane road state hwy through snow-filled woods 45mph - did not get knocked down, one broken finger).

The Illinois event was at dusk, the Minnesota event at 3pm.

Be careful out there everyone.

MaxSwell, that's a couple too many! I've passed deer at night that were just off the shoulder of the road, too late to do anything about it! I did ride through the middle of a herd one time. Cruising down an open straight road mid day. A herd of does and fawns came running out of the woods and across the road. I braked hard but couldn't stop before getting to them. Some went in front, some turned around and went back, and some ran behind me! None were really close, but it does make you more aware!

• Member Contributer

MaxSwell, that's a couple too many! I've passed deer at night that were just off the shoulder of the road, too late to do anything about it! I did ride through the middle of a herd one time. Cruising down an open straight road mid day. A herd of does and fawns came running out of the woods and across the road. I braked hard but couldn't stop before getting to them. Some went in front, some turned around and went back, and some ran behind me! None were really close, but it does make you more aware!

Congrats on that dodge. That herd would have required a change of undies for me.

Archived