Laughably Negative Sport Rider Review

Shinigami

If it's any consolation, UK's 'Bike' magazine did a group test in this month's edition (November 14) between the S800GT, Z1000SX and VFR800. The VFR came out on top. To quote the summary:

"The VFR is simply the nicest motorcycle. It's the classy choice, with a blend of sporting ability and practicality that proves a traditional sports tourer is still entirely valid. The VFR is best on track, soothing over miles, feels quality with every contact and causes loving glances the others just can't generate. It's not the cheapest, fastest or most modern, but it's a keeper".

Like bike choice, motorcycle reviews are very subjective - but hope this helps balance against the SR review.

• Member Contributer

I haven't read the report but 2 points brought forth I'd have to agree with.

Go sit on an FJR or Fazer8 then get back your VFR. Can you really state now that it's a sport-tourer. Not without some compromise or additional farkles to be sure. Thank the marketing ingenious' though as in Ontario, I'd never be able to afford +600SS insurance. That though is really the beauty of the bike, with a little help, it can trend into whichever direction you'd prefer, without giving much up.

Secondly, when I initially saw the 8th in person, it IS kinda boring looking. I know the general first impression of the 6th was ugly duckling, but I don't think it was ever accused of being boring looking. What I do like though about the looks of the new bike, is put winkers on your mirrors and your 5th is looking a little more modern now that the 8th is here.

If it's any consolation, UK's 'Bike' magazine did a group test in this month's edition (November 14) between the S800GT, Z1000SX and VFR800. The VFR came out on top. To quote the summary:

"The VFR is simply the nicest motorcycle. It's the classy choice, with a blend of sporting ability and practicality that proves a traditional sports tourer is still entirely valid. The VFR is best on track, soothing over miles, feels quality with every contact and causes loving glances the others just can't generate. It's not the cheapest, fastest or most modern, but it's a keeper".

Like bike choice, motorcycle reviews are very subjective - but hope this helps balance against the SR review.

Good description. The VFR is not your stand up wheelie, light the fuse, whizzzz, Bang! kind of bike.

That's what gixxers are for. :laugh:

Love my VFR, I could see getting a newer one if it wears out.

but I'm glad I have room for more than 1 bike.

Something about a burst of thunder, and oops, an unplanned wheelie. :biggrin:

My first post here..

Funny how most of these comparison reviews omit the fact that there is no center stand on the Z1000SX, and it isn't even possible to add one.

On a chain driven touring bike! ;)

• Member Contributer

Friend gave me a copy of Motor Cyclist with an 8th gen review. Haven't read it yet, but he said their conclusion was that it wasn't sporty enough for sport riders, and it wasn't comfortable enough for tourers. Not exactly sure what that means. Kind of sounds like it's too dead center between touring and sport for their tastes.

Maybe it's the suspension they're talking about mostly. The suspension on mine feels more like a CBR so that doesn't sound too far out of line to me. Seating position, no, that's pretty much OK. In fact I had a neck problem that seems to have disappeared moving from my 4th gen to the 8th gen. Could be coincidence, or not.

Failed to mention the 3x as high insurance rate !!

My insurance went from $277 to $441. But I'm pretty sure the hike has more to do with the fact that I just went from a 17 year old bike with a $9K MSRP to a brand new bike with a 50% greater MSRP.

Progressive thinks the VFR is more of a touring bike.

YMMV.

Here in DRAGON country I know of three riders of the Ninja 1000 are paying right at $1000 a year .

Why is insurance so expensive over there? I pay like €250 a year for any bike (except the most powerful supersports) in the city, including partially comprehensive coverage. In rural areas, it can be 100 or less.

Why is insurance so expensive over there? I pay like €250 a year for any bike (except the most powerful supersports) in the city, including partially comprehensive coverage. In rural areas, it can be 100 or less.

Probably because, unlike Germany, all you need to get a license in the USA is the ability to fog a mirror... drivers here suck.

Archived