Laughably Negative Sport Rider Review

Shinigami

• Member Contributer

Didn't do a ride side by side BUT, hands down styling and innovation goes to the Kawi. I would not compare those two, kinda apples and Oranges.

Guest Recalcitrance

Didn't do a ride side by side BUT, hands down styling and innovation goes to the Kawi. I would not compare those two, kinda apples and Oranges.

Agreed. Can't compare two fairly different machines and make a reasonable judgement. I love my VFR but I also really love go kart racing. Cheerios are my favorite cereal but I also really enjoy burgers.

• Member Contributer

PS: Ob blond, ob schwarz, ob braun, ich liebe alle Frauen

-Nina Hagen Band-

Same for motorcycles.....

• Member Contributer

If a magazine says what you want them to then it gets posted favorably. When it isn't what you want to hear it gets blasted. This is the same on every mc or automobile board I'm on.

I've met and talked to Kunu and Trevitt more than few times over the last 15 years. Great guys, very knowledgeable. They'll continue to get my $

• Member Contributer

Friend gave me a copy of Motor Cyclist with an 8th gen review. Haven't read it yet, but he said their conclusion was that it wasn't sporty enough for sport riders, and it wasn't comfortable enough for tourers. Not exactly sure what that means. Kind of sounds like it's too dead center between touring and sport for their tastes.

But if we all had the same opinion on what bike was the best, we wouldn't have the great choice of different bikes we have now.

According to Honda the VFR800 is a sportbike, its not a touring bike, and its not a supersport bike, makes sense to me, I knew that before I considered buying a 99-2000 model, in the end I decided at the time to get a cbr600 instead

. Maybe the magazine needs to figure that out first.

• Member Contributer

Friend gave me a copy of Motor Cyclist with an 8th gen review. Haven't read it yet, but he said their conclusion was that it wasn't sporty enough for sport riders, and it wasn't comfortable enough for tourers. Not exactly sure what that means. Kind of sounds like it's too dead center between touring and sport for their tastes.

Maybe it's the suspension they're talking about mostly. The suspension on mine feels more like a CBR so that doesn't sound too far out of line to me. Seating position, no, that's pretty much OK. In fact I had a neck problem that seems to have disappeared moving from my 4th gen to the 8th gen. Could be coincidence, or not.

Failed to mention the 3x as high insurance rate !!

My insurance went from $277 to $441. But I'm pretty sure the hike has more to do with the fact that I just went from a 17 year old bike with a $9K MSRP to a brand new bike with a 50% greater MSRP.

Progressive thinks the VFR is more of a touring bike.

YMMV.

• Member Contributer

But if we all had the same opinion on what bike was the best, we wouldn't have the great choice of different bikes we have now.

It's interesting that in the September 1998 issue, MotorCyclist gave their Motorcycle Of The Year award to the 5th gen. Thy cited the same things - that it wasn't the sharpest sport bike on the road, and it wasn't the most touring of the touring bikes. But unlike either of those classes, it did such a brilliant job of blending the two that its owners were always studying maps looking for the longest and twistiest path between points A and B and making excuses to take yet another Monday off . . . At least that's what I love about 'em - that and a sound from that engine like no other. Times and tastes change and there are more choices out there than there was 15 years ago - but the DNA of the 8th gen is still very similar to what that magazine loved so much in 1998 that they gave it their MOTY award. It seems odd they would pan it now - but that's probably why I'm not working for a motorcycle magazine.

I've asked myself for a long time why I don't trade for something that's quicker or more powerful - or maybe have both a sportier bike and a touring bike. What I've concluded is that not only do I like that I don't hesitate to jump on it and do a 300 to 400 mile day (Sunday was 350), but it's really that I am fully addicted to a bike that sounds like a muscle car. I've seen heads turn as I go by, get thumbs up from all types, and when I stop at a pull-out with other bikers hanging around usually a few will walk over with a look of "what the heck is that?" on their face. It always amuses me when someone asks me if it's a Ducati. Once I answered "No, it's a Honda - my Ducati is in the shop!" :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Folks see red and think "Ducati". I call the VFR a poor man's Duc. :wink: The latest styling seems to make it even more-so.

Yesterday even a Harley guy gave me a big thumbs-up.

But the market is a lot more diverse than it was in the 5th gen years. And too many people expecting more power, more cowbell, whatever. And frankly, I wouldn't mind if it would lose a few more pounds and get TC that wasn't a joke, and if Honda would have dropped the silliness of putting all the good stuff on a different model and tacking on a grand for it. I also think the pipe and the little cover look a bit cheap, the pannier weight rating is stupidly inadequate, the top-case is absurdly expensive, the solo cowl arrangement is awkward for those who want to install and remove it frequently, most VFR buyers will think the suspension is too harsh, some US buyers might've liked the black option, the luggage tie-downs are of marginal usefulness, and yeah, I'm a bit dismissive but the headlight beam probably is a bit too-well defined. And I still want my f'ing gear-driven cams back!!!

I'm still liking the bike but in the big picture there is definitely plenty of room for improvement.

A month ago, I pulled the Viffer into the local Ducati dealership to look at some Schuberth helmets. The salesman congratulated me on my "Panigale"... which was about all I needed to know about that particular salesman if not the entire dealership.

Yes this really happened. Now, the way I was parked, I suspect he only saw the bike from the front... But still.

They had an MV F3 800 in stock, something I have seriously considered picking up for a year now. If you think the above incident was a gobsmacker you should have heard the answers to my questions about that bike...

Alot of people have approached me asking about my "ducati", most have been sportbike riders (until some of them see the word "Honda" on it), and most of the time its when I have the passenger seat on instead of the cowl (which seems strange to me) it shows that they dont know what a panigale looks like (also I havent seen another 2014 VFR800 aside from mine on the road yet). I think the appearance of both bikes are very distinct.

I do think though that any bright red sportbike with a SSSA and no racing stripes etc is automatically assumed by many to be a ducati.

When I saw the first photos of the 2014 VFR800FD in red and noticed how it was equipped (engine, brakes, LED lights, etc) I knew it was the VFR I have been waiting to trade my old bike on.

The luggage attachment points seem to be almost perfect for my cargo net.

• Member Contributer

A month ago, I pulled the Viffer into the local Ducati dealership to look at some Schuberth helmets.

:offtopic:

Try the Schuberth on and wear for at least half an hour, go riding with one if you can.

I've been a Shoei/Aria rider a long time and I really wanted a C3. Bought one and had a terrible time wearing it. Until I cut out a section of the foam inner liner over my forehead.

It is NOT as quiet as I expected it to be.

YMMV

• Member Contributer

I believe he was referring to the Ninja 1K insurance rates are incredibly high.

Yeap

A month ago, I pulled the Viffer into the local Ducati dealership to look at some Schuberth helmets.

Try the Schuberth on and wear for at least half an hour, go riding with one if you can.

I've been a Shoei/Aria rider a long time and I really wanted a C3. Bought one and had a terrible time wearing it. Until I cut out a section of the foam inner liner over my forehead.

YMMV

You did what ?

Pic' please .

YMMV

Yeah, impossible fit for me. Tried some of the S models a couple years ago and found them to be shaped for an alien. Wanted to see if anything had changed. It hadn't.

• Member Contributer

Read the full MC review. It was generally positive. The one test rider's comments were how the bike didn't look exciting enough and needed decals and more colors. So he must have enjoyed it if the only thing he was complaining about was the single-tone paint.

• Member Contributer

Read the full MC review. It was generally positive. The one test rider's comments were how the bike didn't look exciting enough and needed decals and more colors. So he must have enjoyed it if the only thing he was complaining about was the single-tone paint.

To each their own apparently. It's interesting to consider that the lack of decals was spoken of favorably by pretty much everyone else.

The color scheme is tastefully accented by the black panels, aluminum parts and bronze coatings. Yeah, maybe the contributing writer wanted a RWB bike.

• Member Contributer

YMMV

I'm not sure Schuberth would approve of you cutting out the material designed to prevent your brain from smashing around in your skull ;)

Why didn't you just return it and get something that fits your head? There's a dozen good brands of helmet out there and they all fit differently.

• Member Contributer

If a 1.5cm by 2cm by 5mm foam (not what actually absorbs the energy) makes the/a
difference in safety, I will stop riding altogether...

I did contact Schuberth who told me that fitment is not covered by warranty.
I bought it on special order, the color not normally part of the line up.
My rush for TMAC, my bad :-)

Archived