Quickshifter

garyr

There are no "package deals" here...it's all individual Honda accessories. I know because I already bought and installed the handlebar riser blocks, quickshifter, rear hugger, and saddlebags.

• Member Contributer

There are no "package deals" here...it's all individual Honda accessories. I know because I already bought and installed the handlebar riser blocks, quickshifter, rear hugger, and saddlebags.

Except for the "D" model which you have .

Which is what most people want .

Sorry, so I guess they dont have any add-on packages here. When I bought my bike there were no options but standard and deluxe to add, no add-ons period. In fact they were just getting add-on prices later on when I was getting oil change number 2 on my bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok, Now I will show you all, my ignorance.

I roughly what a Quick Shifter is, But how do you use it and what does it buy you ?

Tom

Automatic gear shifter , you just push a button .

That is incorrect. It is a normal foot shifter with a pressure switch inside that is wired to the bike's ECU. When you apply pressure with your foot to shift (just like you would with a regular shifter) it cuts power to the engine for a brief moment to take the pressure off the gears in the transmission so it can shift. This allows you to upshift at full throttle, without using the clutch. You can also ride it like just like a regular bike, using the clutch like normal.

If you had perfect, instantaneous throttle control with your right hand, you could do the same thing without a quick shifter...it would require cutting the throttle just enough to coast, but not so much that you decelerate, but only doing that for less than a 1/2 second!

Had my 2014 Deluxe a couple of weeks now, after owning a 2003 6th gen. I bought it slightly used from my local dealer with the saddle bags and the quick shifter option installed. The QS is awesome, I am not an overly aggressive ride, but at 70 do like to scoot along to the best of my ability and find the QS makes riding that much more enjoyable. Also easier on the arthritis in my left thumb!

• Member Contributer

Maybe I should have wrote semi-automatic ?

What does the power difference fill like between the 03 and the 14 ?

14 is better all the way around, I should hope so after spend the $, the power is there, I can't say it is significantly more, just better. The QS is great in the twists, being so quick, and less to do with the hands. It's not automatic, because it requires the same human input to shift, just one less operation (pulling in clutch) to coordinate. My hat is off to the younger riders that can race and ride well, that is not me, but I think I do better than most. When I was at the dealer the other day, a guy came in on Panigale and had obviously been to the track. His tires were all roughed up with melted rubber right out to the very edges. Very gutsy with a $30k bike.

Maybe I should have wrote semi-automatic ?

What does the power difference fill like between the 03 and the 14 ?

I wouldn't even call it semi-automatic. You're still shifting with your foot. It just allows you to do it without clutching or letting off the throttle. But you can still do both if you want. You could get on it, without knowing it had a quickshifter, and ride it all day, just like you're own bike, without ever realizing it had one.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Btw. The guy who thought the plastic clip at point 23 in the install guide was a good idea ... were wrong.

I used my whole supply of foul words before I threw it away and used a zip-tie instead.

• 2 years later...

I just installed this as well. It was pretty easy except that step at 23. I didn't bother and used the clip higher.

Which way do you turn the rod to adjust the weight needed though? The manual doesn't say.

On 4/2/2015 at 1:58 PM, timm said:

Btw. The guy who thought the plastic clip at point 23 in the install guide was a good idea ... were wrong.

I used my whole supply of foul words before I threw it away and used a zip-tie instead.

LOL.

I tried the same thing myself.  Pulled the vent hose out of the lower clip, looked at the space and routing they recommended and then said F it.  Just stupid.

I actually used the plastic clip up higher...on the clutch line.  Routed it a bit different too, to keep it extra safe from all the hot bits. 

Archived