Quickshifter

garyr

Just fitted a quickshifter, easy enough and great to use, but who invented these plastic clips you have to remove to get the panels off!!! Jeez what a job getting them off and broke one of the plastic screw ones underneath so does anyone have part no.s for both kinds of clips. I can see a few needed in my future.

• Member Contributer

If you know how to remove those stupid body clips correctly, first pushing that pin all the way in, they rarely break. You do know, yes??

If they are not coming out easily, it's often because the two pieces of bodywork (or bodywork and tab) they are joining are under tension and misaligned slightly. Jiggling things into where they oughta' be is what you need to be doing as you try to ease the clip out.

Also, those clips need to be reset before putting them back in...the center part that you pushed in to remove them now needs to be moved back out so it is protruding from the top of the clip. Then you insert the clip and push the center in (so it's flush) to lock it in place.

• Member Contributer

No I i didnt know you had to push the pins through, suppose it makes sense now, thanks for posting.

Ouch, that would explain a lot. Thanks DriverDave for the follow-up about resetting them.

I might be crazy but I seem to recall the owner's manual having something about how to remove those clips.

You know, that little booklet that nobody ever reads...

Looking...

Yep, page 70. How to re-install, too. :laughing6-hehe:

No I i didnt know you had to push the pins through, suppose it makes sense now, thanks for posting.

Ouch, that would explain a lot. Thanks DriverDave for the follow-up about resetting them.

I might be crazy but I seem to recall the owner's manual having something about how to remove those clips.

You know, that little booklet that nobody ever reads...

Looking...

Yep, page 70. How to re-install, too. :laughing6-hehe:

Everydays a school day.

• 4 weeks later...

Just fitted a quickshifter, easy enough and great to use, but who invented these plastic clips you have to remove to get the panels off!!! Jeez what a job getting them off and broke one of the plastic screw ones underneath so does anyone have part no.s for both kinds of clips. I can see a few needed in my future.

How have you found thew quick shifter ? I have never used on before, are they really worth it ? I would imagine it would take some time to re-program yourself not to use the clutch / throttle off when changing gears.

I installed the Honda accessory quickshifter. Reason 1 was my hand gets very painful going up and down the gearbox in heavy traffic or out in the twisties. When i saw a identical bike to mine :wub: in tomintoul with this fitted i had a epiphany. Install this and halve my clutch use :cheerleader: first time i used it there was a few times that it would not go into gear but that was because i had closed the throttle, so just keep the throttle pinned/steady. Reason 2: Why not.

Okay gotcha, you have an 8th gen right?

I wonder how those factory quickshifters work, if they're a fuel cut or ignition cut. If its an ignition cut, its going to sound awesome with an exhaust!

I believe it's an ignition cut, as it is very quick and timed perfect. (I also have a quick shifter on my 8th gen) The shifting function works great, you can just hold it wide open and jam through the gears. There is one problem I have found with it, though. The actual shifter pedal isn't the same as the stock one, and I find that it actually starts to hurt the top of my big toe after a day of riding (I use Sidi Vertigo boots). You would think, being a Honda part, that the peg on the shifter would be the same as the original, but it's just different enough to be a problem. Other than that, I like it. Also, you don't HAVE to utilize it...I mean you can still use the clutch and shift like you normally would if you want.

ignition cut quickshifts are quite audible and i dont think the unburnt fuel exploding the exhaust after the shift is good for the catalytic converter. I couldn't imagine honda doing that. it would be cool though.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to post this,

Recently fitted the sport pack that comes with the QS, was fun and felt nice to use, until one morning, some leathered up lad with no mirrors and tinted visor pulls up to me on a cbr600RR, a model down from my old 600RR, thought he'd let me know about it at the lights but I decided to return the favour.

The QS being used from 2nd to 3rd, then to 4th, getting to 110 rather quickly, surprising me and passing him quicker than he expected, went deep on a bend and stayed in front for some time until he turned off, not before exchanging polite waves to each other.

All in all, not bad for a bike with a 50 LTR top box :cool:

That alone, justifies buying the QS for this bike.

I think they sell the 2 package deals in dealers here, but there is no option for the slip-on at all due to emissions regulations from the dealer, you have to buy exhaust mods on your own. I know the dealers offer the other options separately also.

Archived