After Market Exhaust Questions

Hawkeye Driver

Questions below but first some background:
About 7 years ago I installed Staintune mufflers. Then about 4 years ago I stumbled upon some lightly used Delkevic headers and installed them. Mostly I just wanted to delete the ugly cat.
Last summer I noticed an exhaust leak and tracked it down to the left read exhaust port. One of the nuts had loosened up and fallen off. Installed new nut, problem solved. A few weeks back the same leak reappeared and made the bike sound horrible. However, this time both nuts were there so I went to re-torque both. It was obvious that the torque required was way above spec so I went to take both nuts off but one of the nuts stayed on the stud and pulled the entire stud out (luckily, it didn't break). I got the nut off the stud, cleaned up the threads and against my better judgment re-installed the stud. Then re-torqued both nuts which seemed to eliminate the leak.
Took the bike 70 miles round trip to work today and of course the leak came back. I've been meaning to take the headers off, clean them up and repaint or polish them so they look better. This was/is my chance. I've also debated deleting the center stand. It is super useful but ugly (IMO).
Everything came apart nice and easy but one of the studs on the front right port came out. I expected the stud on the left rear port to come out too but it stayed in the head.
Looking at the gaskets this is what I found on the left rear. I guess that answers the leak question.

Blown exhaust gasket

So on to my questions:
1). Any idea why the gasket blew? I assume it weakened when the leak first developed last summer but want to make sure it wasn't something else related to the original install.
2). I assume I should replace both studs that came out. Thoughts?
3). When installing new studs should I apply some anti-sieze? Something else.
4). Spec torque value for the nuts is really low. Any way to ensure they don't vibrate loose again?
5). As for cleaning the headers. Should I just polish, paint or go with something like Jet Coat?
6). Now that the headers are off, should I go ahead and delete the center stand. I do have front and rear pit stands and rarely use the center stand for anything but maintenance?
A lot here but the collective knowledge on this site is the absolute best so I appreciate any and all advice given.
Thank you.

IMG 0257

IMG 0256

IMG 0255

Yes, as an aviator, I do realize my tool control leaves something to be desired.

• Member Contributer

I would definitely use anti-seize on the nuts when re-installing - seems like those things love to corrode and at some future time the end up breaking the stud (usually flush with the head so there's nothing to get a hold of) rather than threading off.

I also have front and rear stands but have kept my c-stand for mostly 2 reasons. One is that it's useful for chain maintenance on multi-day trips. If that's not in your plans it's no factor. Second is that if you don't have a steering head front stand and want to do fork service you can use it along with a jack / blocks under the headers to support the bike while the forks are off.

• Member Contributer

Well I'd say the exhaust gasket got damaged when the single nut came loose, it would have vibrated in the port & that with the heat would crack it. Re torque probably kept it in place then came apart when both nuts loosened. Ensure the exhaust flange is smooth on the header before refitting.

Regarding the exhaust studs, are they 6mm straight ? As in both ends ? What's the overall length ?

Best buy some stainless steel or Titanium studs to refit, that does away with the corrosion issue. When refitting use some red lo tite on the threads into the head & use copper grease on the exposed stud & nut. That should keep it good for years.

I found that fitting the gaskets the right way round helps, the overlap seal should be against the head, I can't tell from your picture which way round that one was.

Gents,

As usual, thanks. Studs are straight and I just ordered some OEM replacements. Went and looked at the blown gasket and looks like I installed it with the seam against the header. That type of detail is exactly what I was looking for in asking the original questions.

Archived