Clatter When Letting Out The Clutch?

Shooter

I have recently noticed some clanking and clatter noise and can also feel it in my left foot when I ease out the clutch in first gear to take off. It just started doing this about three weeks ago. It only does this in first gear. I do not notice anything awkward on downshifting. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be?

BTW, the bike is a 2001 800 with about 15,000 miles on it.

Thanks for any input.

• Member Contributer

Pull the hydraulic slave cylinder and check the front sprocket. After you have the clutch slave cylinder removed check the front sprocket for play at spline's where the front sprocket attaches to the output shaft from the motor.

• Member Contributer

Are you hearing/feeling the noise before the bike is actually moving? If it doesn't start until the bike is moving I'd start by checking to make sure your chain isn't too slack.

Rollin

If it's worse under harder acceleration, and worse when it's cold versus warmed up well (the oil, not just the motor), then this is a very common issue. Time to go through the clutch components and clean everything up.

Some people get good results just from pulling the slave cylinder and cleaning everything very thoroughly. Others have to pull the cover off, remove the clutch plates, and clean up the basket (many report grooves being worn into the fingers and having to lightly file them and smooth them back out).

Pull the hydraulic slave cylinder and check the front sprocket. After you have the clutch slave cylinder removed check the front sprocket for play at spline's where the front sprocket attaches to the output shaft from the motor.

My bike has this issue. I have to replace the front sprocket often. Eventually I will have to replace the bike as the counter shaft is wearing out. Anyone else had this problem? The wear happens on the counter shaft spline instead of the chain teeth?

• Member Contributer

My bike has this issue. I have to replace the front sprocket often. Eventually I will have to replace the bike as the counter shaft is wearing out. Anyone else had this problem? The wear happens on the counter shaft spline instead of the chain teeth?

Yeah i had Sunstar do it to me . I had a old Honda front sprocket, to be sure the output shaft of the transmission was not the problem I reinstall the Honda part and there was no wear in the shaft so I am assuming the Sunstar was wacked.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll be pulling the fairing this weekend to have a look. The chain probably needs a little tightening, but nothing major has maybe an inch of free play. It seems to be worse when warmed up, they when cold. And, yes I only hear/fell it when starting to move.

Another strange thing I noticed is a very subtle vibration that comes on at 105 mph an progresses up to at least 130 mph. I feel it in the same area (my left foot). I didn't notice it before, but it seems to have come on about the same time that this started happening. I am thinking that this is not a coincidence.

Archived